May 19

Mrs_Hoffer
Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,089 Member
    One of the items my smart watch tracks is my sleep. While not all of us use a smart watch, I know sleep is something most people pay attention to. My Garmin recently suggested this article:

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2017/10/cover-sleep

Whether or not you have time to read it, it stresses that sleep is a critical third pillar of a healthy lifestyle, on top of diet and physical activity.

Clearly, we are all here because we want to live longer, healthier, happier lives.

Do you actively work on improving your sleep hygiene? What is one thing you do to try to get more restorative sleep?
  • jmu1965
    jmu1965 Posts: 970 Member
    I try to get to bed at the same time. Usually 8:30. I put my phone away by 8:00. I use the time between to stretch on the floor, use the foam roller. I average 7 hours of sleep. Part of it depends on how well my husband sleeps (he does leave the room if he isn’t sleeping well), how much water and how late I drink water and also if I get hot or not.
    I remember my grandparents having separate single beds. Now I understand why. 🙂
  • ashleycarole86
    jmu1965 wrote: »
    I try to get to bed at the same time. Usually 8:30. I put my phone away by 8:00. I use the time between to stretch on the floor, use the foam roller. I average 7 hours of sleep. Part of it depends on how well my husband sleeps (he does leave the room if he isn’t sleeping well), how much water and how late I drink water and also if I get hot or not.
    I remember my grandparents having separate single beds. Now I understand why. 🙂

Great insights. I'm impressed by folks that get a good routine going with a consistent bedtime. I think that can be so helpful! My schedule varies now more than ever in terms of wake up time so I find I'm not in a consistent pattern, which puts my overall sleep length at risk.

I see to be averaging around 7 hours of sleep a night, so I'm doing okay.
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,259 Member
    May 19, 2022

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Habits to maintain this month:
    Kitchen Closed? Yes
    Did you go "nuts" with nuts today? No (17 days -free)
    Within Sugar macro today? Yes (15 days)

Pass days 2/3 (this is for accountability to myself and my records).
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,259 Member
    One of the items my smart watch tracks is my sleep. While not all of us use a smart watch, I know sleep is something most people pay attention to. My Garmin recently suggested this article:

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2017/10/cover-sleep

Whether or not you have time to read it, it stresses that sleep is a critical third pillar of a healthy lifestyle, on top of diet and physical activity.

Clearly, we are all here because we want to live longer, healthier, happier lives.

Do you actively work on improving your sleep hygiene? What is one thing you do to try to get more restorative sleep?

Thank you for the opener. I have been tracking my weight against my sleep. I noticed that lack of sleep has an effect on my weight and activity level the next day.
    This is one of the things I am working on. I look forward to reading what others have to say about it.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,237 Member
    I’m generally in bed between 10 and 10:30. I read a few minutes and then am sound asleep. The only trouble I have is sometimes I can’t get back to sleep when I get up to pee. But generally I can get 7 to 8 hours.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,453 Member
    I average about 81/2 -9 hrs of sleep I try to go to bed around the same time each night which is usually around 9:30.
    @biketheworld, @jamcnewman @victorious55 and ashleycarole86 all really good insights. Sometimes I think we slack in the rest sleep areas.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,453 Member
    edited May 2022
    ✅✅✅ all three done today

Will check back later to comment either today or tomorrow as it’s almost bedtime
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,629 Member
    5/19
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 👍🏻
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? 👍🏻
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? 👍🏻

(Documenting consistency (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)
    UAC: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28

May goals
    1 Miracle Morning ~ S.A.V.E.R.S
    2 Wake up EARLY for meditation
    3 Yoga (5/6 times weekly)
    4. Minimum sweets (work them in my calorie goal)
    5. 30 day squat challenge 6. No late night snacking
    7. Daily journal logging
  • jmu1965
    jmu1965 Posts: 970 Member
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, 25 minutes Pahla B. It was too windy for my short bike ride after work. I was tired after work.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes. My husband made goulash and we added black beans and corn 😋
  • eokoro
    eokoro Posts: 626 Member

Exercise – yes
    Tracking – yes
    Calories – Yes

2/3 pass days
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,744 Member
    ✔️✔️✔️
    6 pass days used.
  • StayFITTer
    StayFITTer Posts: 549 Member
    edited May 2022
    🫶🏾🫶🏾🫶🏾Today

Sleep hygiene is something I work towards but is elusive.

I avoid alcohol before bed—it effects quality of Sleep

And make an effort to avoid caffeine 10hr before bedtime/ Definitely by noon.

(So before I have a coffee/latte —I think twice. But caffeine is not really apart of my daily lifestyle and I aim for caffeine free teas typically —but especially when out of the window of caffeine consumption. )

Have a hard time cutting off screens an hour Before bed time. Phone is not in the same room when sleep. But if an electronic is in the same room I put it in airplane mode/turn off the Audi—I’d like to get a timer on my Wifi so it’s off completely.

I try to go to bed/wake up at the same time everyday—but I have kids so I kinda been falling short in this area.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    3x yes

Today was a good day. In addition to the treadmill we went for a walk around the neighborhood when my partner got home from work.

Sleep has been an ongoing problem for me. When I still worked I had insomnia about once a week though I slept fine the rest of the time. Since I retired about 1.5 years ago the insomnia has mostly disappeared. I'm a deep sleeper. My partner gets up pretty early and I don't hear his alarm or him as he's getting ready in the morning.

I have found I do best on seven hours of sleep. More than that and I end up having a harder time falling asleep the following evening. Less than that and I feel tired. My biggest problem now is waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. For some reason I have a hard time falling asleep after that. It's probably because it happens after 4-5 hours and my body doesn't feel so tired at that point even though it will be later in the day.

I'm trying to cut off liquids after 8pm in an attempt to keep from waking up before I'm ready but I haven't yet achieved consistency. I try to wake up naturally and avoid using an alarm unless absolutely necessary for an early morning appointment.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 3,973 Member
    Thursday May 19

✅✅✅
    Evening walk in the cold rain. But got it done 🌟 Tracked and under. Snow tonight. 🥶 ❄️ ❄️❄️
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,419 Member
    ✅ Exercise - 1 hour of Jazzercise and neighborhood walk
    ✅ Calories -
    ✅ Tracking -

Closed all my Apple watch rings today
    2 Pass days used

Documenting consistency (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)
    UAC: P-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9–P-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19

Great question/opener @ashleycarole86. Sleep is one of the areas of health that I have not established good habits yet. I think I do pretty well on 7-8 hours but I do very little to aid in getting 7-8 hours on a nightly basis. Warm shower at night helps, but then I stay up way too late reading and whatnot - often until midnight or 1 in the morning. I get up somewhere between 6 and 8 most days. When I do get to bed by 10:30 or 11, I invariably wake up in the middle of the night and have a lot of difficulty getting back to sleep. I'll have to do some data correlation on my lack of sleep and how I feel, but I would much rather get less sleep but have it be continuous instead of broken sleep.

I slept so well last night that when I woke up my husband had gone to another room in the to sleep because I was talking in my sleep. Didn't hear a thing. :-)
  • ashleycarole86
    Thanks so much for all the great comments everyone! Sleep is an area I want to focus on more, and there are so many good ideas to chew on. It really didn't dawn on me for a while that I should be working on sleep habits, and when I was first establishing my other healthy habits, I was often doing them in sacrifice of sleep, so trying to restore balance and remind myself of how critical it is remains top of mind.

I have found it almost puts a bit of anxiety on the process of getting to sleep if i start focusing too much on getting ENOUGH sleep, so I've tried to recently shift to focusing on how I can improve the quality, regardless of the duration.

One of the items I'm still trying to sort out in my sleep journey is how to balance getting what I need done against items I may need to let go of or do less often to proritize sleep.
  • ashleycarole86
    @ideas2 I am a fellow CPAP user but this is the first I'm hearing of sleep tape! So interesting. I will have to look into that more.

@jamcnewman Oh my, I love the smell of lavendar... how soothing

@enlightenme3 I was always a morning showerer, but with my evening workouts as of late, I'm finding the pre-bed shower to be SUPER relaxing... although I usually end my night on here, so I'm not sure I'm fully reaping the benefits