Next medical quandry

glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
The advice nurse wait is 4 hours long so it's you non doctors for now :)

You know how there's ringing in the ears when you have tinnitus?

I have like static or a dead air sound that's not...going...away. And when I say that, I mean it doesn't stop. And it's been going on for a week (or so) straight.

It's definitely not a real noise like those white noise machines. It happens in my apt, at work, when I'm outside.

Any clue before it turns into a psychiatric emergency?

Altho maybe I'd get faster service if that actually happened.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Possibly wax blockage.

That can cause temporary tinnitus-like symptoms in some people.

Easily diagnosed by someone with an auriscope, once you get to see a doctor or nurse.
  • glassyo
    Possibly wax blockage.

That can cause temporary tinnitus-like symptoms in some people.

Easily diagnosed by someone with an auriscope, once you get to see a doctor or nurse.

Thanks :) I did a quick google search and I don't have most of the symptoms. Just the sound. Somebody needs to come smell my ear! :)

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    It probably is a form of tinnitus: pressure in your Eustachian tubes can cause it, swollen nasal passages from hay fever, irritants or even blowing your nose can cause pressure and weird noises. It’s really really annoying so I hope you get some support!
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Have you tried taking an antihistamine to see if that helps? Might put you to sleep too though!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Have you thought about trying to see an audiologist rather than a PCP? Or would that require a referral? It sounds like auditory neuropathy to me, but I think that would be highly unusual...
  • glassyo
    @claireychn074 Most likely. I've had the ringing in the ears and I think I'm prone to it cuz of my part german heritage. And dental issues. It was just so sparse before.

@LiveOnceBeHappy LOL no. Unless alavert counts. :)

@girlwithcurls2 I have an appt on 5/31 with an internal medicine guy. I'm not sure if I need a referral to an audiologist. I hear fine tho. It's just like...background noise. I wondered, tho, because except for the past few months when I couldn't do my usual walks, I'm never without earbuds when I'm exercising. I try not to have the volume up high tho.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    they will sometimes prescribe anti depressants for tinnitus because it works.
    here we have some remedies in the natural/vitamin aisle at the drug store if you are looking for short term relief