Help

When eating rice and tracking it is it tracked after it is cooked per cup or before it’s cooked. I have been confused about this for a while now.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited May 2022
    Pick an entry that matches the way you're measuring it, i.e., one that says cooked if it's cooked, raw if it's raw. Raw is usually going to be a bit more accurate, because the rice can take up varying amounts of water, and the water doesn't change the calories but may change the weight/volume.

Some good entries are ones that look like this:

Rice - White, long-grain, regular, cooked
    Rice, white, short-grain, raw
    Rice, brown, medium-grain, raw
    Rice - Brown, long-grain, cooked

The default servings are 1 cup, but there are both weight and volume options in the drop-down list. They exist for other types of rice, too.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    1 cup raw rice is probably about 600 calories. One cup cooked is about 200. Track it in the state you’re eating it
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    gpanda103 wrote: »
    1 cup raw rice is probably about 600 calories. One cup cooked is about 200. Track it in the state you’re eating it

Makes no sense as rice is usually eaten cooked. Like others above have mentioned: weighing dry is more precise as the weight of cooked rice depends on how much water was absorbed. On the other hand, this might make sense if a big pot of rice is on the table and several people help themselves.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    yirara wrote: »

Makes no sense as rice is usually eaten cooked. Like others above have mentioned: weighing dry is more precise as the weight of cooked rice depends on how much water was absorbed. On the other hand, this might make sense if a big pot of rice is on the table and several people help themselves.

Yes, but it seems like OP already at the rice at this point, which is why I said to track it in the state that they ate it in.
  • ashabjarnason
    ashabjarnason Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2022
    Most food packaging nutrition info is in raw/uncooked state. So the info on the rice will be for uncooked unless the packages says cooked.

I just watched a tik tok yesterday that showed the easiest way to add it to fitness pal from uncooked to cooked without a ton of math.

But basically you want to measure everything before cooking.
  • ashabjarnason
    ashabjarnason Posts: 6 Member
    Here is the video I found

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLwFY8Qv/?k=1
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    edited May 2022
    yirara wrote: »

Yes, but it seems like OP already at the rice at this point, which is why I said to track it in the state that they ate it in.

And now it's cold and mouldy :D