Coronavirus prep

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    The last of the stores I frequent finally took down their masks required signs and it's REALLY weird to see all that uncovered window.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    @Fuzzipeg Quote: a brighter note from Cambridge. Stage 3 testing is in progress on a 77% effective Malaria vaccine in. It seems this breakthrough drew on information gained in understanding covid by another team scientist looking into covis to achieve this. (the AstraZeneca team)

HMMM isn't that what hydroxychloroquine is used to treat????
  • shockbishop
    shockbishop Posts: 38 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    what? panic buying in 2022? The US went through that in 2020. Nowdays, in my area, everything is back on the shelf and doctors offices don't wear mask.

I guess my tip is take this as an example of what a catastrophe looks like. Think about how you'll eat, drink, shelfter, etc.. in a real nasty even like a total collapse of a finacial system, government, war etc... Grocery stores won't be the answer :)

This thread was started in 2020...

nice
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    At this point, I figure it is inevitable that we will get Covid, though we've managed to avoid it so far, AFAIK. Each variation has been more contagious but less virulent. Hopefully that will continue to be the case. I am hoping that the vaccinations I got will at least allow my immune system a chance to fight, though it seems that the boosters are effective for only a very short time and immunity from previous contagion is not happening at all.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    At this point, I figure it is inevitable that we will get Covid, though we've managed to avoid it so far, AFAIK. Each variation has been more contagious but less virulent. Hopefully that will continue to be the case. I am hoping that the vaccinations I got will at least allow my immune system a chance to fight, though it seems that the boosters are effective for only a very short time and immunity from previous contagion is not happening at all.

The treatments (such as Paxlovid) are more available/successful now, too, if started soon after symptoms begin. There was limited supply at first, but from what I've heard it's in good supply in the US, and reasonably available to those at higher risk.

Near-locally, Detroit's getting started on a push of the "test to treat" idea, with community-based testing sites where people can be screened for suitability to take Paxlovid, including people who have a positive home test.

https://www.michiganradio.org/health/2022-05-16/detroit-now-offering-test-to-treat-sites-with-free-covid-testing-and-treatment

I'd assume there might be similar programs in other large metro areas, and of course people with regular doctor relationships should have an avenue to get treatments if they act expediently.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Should we be starting a "Monkeypox prep" thread??
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    It still sounds rather, dare I say, "Interesting" most of the 9 known cases in the UK yesterday were not connected to overseas travel. So they have been up close and personal to have contracted...............
    I'd think you'd notice the lesions. But what do I know. I hope the medical profession have good PPE.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited May 2022
    From WaPo:
    Monkeypox is not known to spread easily between humans. The fact that cases are emerging in several countries at once — with signs of “sustained” transmission in people — is striking, said Aris Katzourakis, a professor of evolution and genomics at the University of Oxford.

“It’s either a lot of bad luck or something quite unusual happening here,” Katzourakis said.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    @The_Enginerd I have also read that although it is true that the new variants that dominate do so by being more infectious, it is a roll of the dice as to whether the illness they cause is more or less severe. Sorry, don't have sources handy. Sounds like you are out of the woods. Stay well!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member
    My husband has Covid now.

Feeling pretty sick and miserable but ok at home.

He is now in isolation for 7 days.

Close contacts don't have to isolate here now so I can go out, just have to wear a mask in indoor public places and cant go to tier 1 or 2 health care settings unless emergency.

Which means I cant go to work for a week since I work in a tier 2 health setting - and just started new job so no sick leave.

If you meet the criteria, you may be eligible for this payment https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/pandemic-leave-disaster-payment?context=60352
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Paperpudding, I'm sorry the "rules" are so complicated. I hope all comes good soon for you both.
    Please take care

Referring back to the next virus, monkey pox, the cases here are up to 70! We have health professionals isolating for three weeks! Seems international concerns are being voiced because it does not seem to be behaving as it did in the past.