Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    I pulled a selection of things from the freezer yesterday. One I know is leftovers from an Indian lunch a friend brought a month or so ago...some very light fare from the Goa region. The other two are tomato based and I couldn't quite tell exactly what type of tomato based meal. Chili? Pasta sauce? Perhaps one last container of the Greek green bean and olive oil stew (though I'm sure that is long gone)? So...we'll see what supper is going to be once I take a look at these three again. A little bit of excitement!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Surprise!
  • lauriekallis
    The quinoa from the left over Indian lunch was a fine addition to my field of greens salad lunch - enough that I might just start cooking up some of those ??? nongrains - quinoa and buckwheat too maybe ?? and freeze some that I can pull out every few days to bolster these super easy - very simple - lunch time salads I'm enjoying so much. But - I'll see if it adds any "satiating" properties before I go that far :)

The other two containers are .... drum roll .... chili ... and Greek green bean and olive oil stew! woohoo. Win Win. I think maybe chilli for supper today - with some sliced veggie weiners on a bed of cauliflower rice.

Lots of bunnies today :)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Laurie, I bet Alexandria has all of her frozen foods neatly labeled and dated!….love you both!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    Some low fat tuna salad, lettuce greens, tomatoes 🍅. Not inspired. Too much going out for meals while on vacation! And it’s so hot - 100 degrees today and blazing sun.

Also dealing with easy access to snack foods now that I’m back home.
  • lauriekallis
    I label soup - but I keep thinking the other things are so "obvious" ... lol
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    I do, but I do it right when I wrap them because otherwise I'd have no. blessed. clue. what's what. And then I'd start crying. So... yeah.

I have had my post-store nap to get over dealing with the overstimulation of the stores and of other people. Now I am going to have a mug of tea and start thinking about the precooking list for the weekend.

Tonight is sweet and sour pork, but the sauce is premade and just needs to cook, and I made it with Splenda so it's sugar-free. Pork bits are premade and go in the oven in about 45 minutes to warm through, and then I'll just microwave some frozen veggies and some rice. It makes it easy on me.
  • lauriekallis
    It wasn't chili - it was pasta sauce - but I found out too late to make appropriate sides. Still good though :) My head is still so stuffed up by allergies that I couldn't really taste the difference.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,581 Member
    I’m a labeller and dater...but you guessed that already, right?
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I am pretty good about labeling things in the freezer but once when John and I were first married someone gave me some cute little glass jars for spices….well, I thought it would be exciting to not label them and guess what was in them by the smell lol…after a few mishaps I had to toss most of them and buy new spices!
  • lauriekallis
    I have a pretty good turnover so don't worry about dating. And most things are labelled. But everyone once in a while I get cocky. But. I don't mind the surprise. Maybe that is at the root of my cockiness?
  • PAV8888
    Things are getting dicey over here with the downstairs BBQ invitation

https://icedrive.net/s/u4kixDxjCSRRDxgFuuk15z2S3TWg
  • Yoolypr
    If you must live in Canada where BBQ season is short, you have no choice but to go for it while you can.
  • lauriekallis
    How was it?! The BBQ itself doesn't look too dangerous - I imagine, though, there was much to go with those skewers?
  • Yoolypr
    edited May 2022
    Vegans cover your eyes.
    739qf64ibwsh.jpeg
    Texas BBQ is available 24/7, 365 days a year. This is Franklin’s downtown Austin. Served on brown paper to soak up the juices. And yes it’s always served with sliced white bread.

We save this place for taking visitors because it’s a meat bomb - brisket, ribs, sausages, smoked turkey- oh my. Salads (not the good kind), beans and of course tiny pies.

I’m sure PAV’s skewers we’re less calorific!
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2022
    Yoolie we have a place like that: https://www.memphisbluesbbq.com/

But this was a charcoal BBQ! Definitely prepared in a more health conscious manner, albeit still food overload.

And white fluffy pita bread is not exactly a step up on white bread!!!

I had three. Of the LARGE pita breads. And the ground beef was REGULAR, not lean! And the chicken pieces were SKIN ON (and eaten) :blush: Maintenance day it wasn't! But it was just an overload not a massacre.

Link very iffy for vegetarians, or vegans! https://icedrive.net/s/966XhZaY9RW95ARZ1ViY7Yu357ZV
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,581 Member
    The food looks lovely Pav - I hope you relished every mouthful!
  • lauriekallis
    that pecan pie looks pretty fine!
  • Yoolypr
    I’d take that homemade feast over restaurants any day. It looks fabulous!