what to do after a binge

Options
hello i had a cheat day today and ate 6700 calories + im going out w family idk where so lets say i eat 1300 calories more to make it 8000 calories
my bmr is 2030 calories + i do 20-30k steps daily what should i do to minimize weight gain? and should i even do a thing about it ? i did it in the first place just cz 2 months ago i dieted same macros +same steps and was losing 100g a day but was binging so i lost around 700g in a month then i switched to mfp and started weight lifting and hit a weight loss plateau i think cz of water weight but its been a month and 2 days and i lost 0g so i did the binge i wanted to lose 4 kg before i started

Replies

• Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Do nothing, just go back to your regular schedule tomorrow. According to what you say, you are burning more than 1,150,000 kcal per year. 8k once is peanuts when you go for the long game.

Also, read this. A month can sometimes not be enough to see results when doing drastic lifestyle changes.

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Just go on. Drink some water if you ate a lot of salt, but just go on. Get right back to your goals.

If you get a flat tire on your car, you won’t go ahead bust out the windshield or lay down and cry. You fix the tire and go on.

I would also log everything just for accountability.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Log everything, accurately.

Take a moment to reflect on wether or not you’re hungry when you go out with your family after eating a lot earlier in the day and adjust what you order accordingly (maybe you aren’t as hungry? Maybe you are? Maybe you eat another 1300 calories, but maybe you eat far less? Some people say “oh, I’m only eating a salad because I already ate today” because it’s true. Whatever works for you, but make it a conscious choice, driven either by your hunger cues or your social decisions.)

It’s ok to hang out with people and not eat, or not eat as much as they are. It’s ok for this to be a long term goal, too. Going out to eat for the social aspect and not the food aspect. Learning to separate the two.

Reflect on why you were eating so much today. Were you overly restrictive? Not getting enough protein or another micronutrient? Stress? Lack of planning? What can you do to manage your needs and plan better? You need to take care of yourself better, to learn from this and plan better for the next time.

It’s great that you’re honest with yourself that it’s happening. Tracking it is the first step. Looking for patterns, triggers, and what to modify is the next step.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You just move on with your life. You won’t remember what happened that day in a week
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    Perfection is overrated. When you look back on your month, you will see that it was a pretty decent month overall. I call that a WIN. Spring is finally here. I'm way too busy hugging trees and talking to the bluebirds, I can't let a let a slip become a mental stumbling block. Shake it off and don't let it become a spiral.