What is my BF%?

Idk what my BF percentage is but I’m guessing around 20-24 percent. I’m 5’ 10” and 181 pounds

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    this is far from perfect, but it's at least in the ballpark...

sza9mxj5o6x5.jpg
  • IsaiTorres16
    IsaiTorres16 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank for the infographic I guess I am pretty close to what I believe my BF% is. Gotta get patient with the progress, just trying to get down to around 12-15% at around 160BW
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Thank for the infographic I guess I am pretty close to what I believe my BF% is. Gotta get patient with the progress, just trying to get down to around 12-15% at around 160BW

One of those "hug" clicks is me, kind of your caring internet granny (despite being a total stranger). You look like you're doing really well. There's some obvious muscularity, but also still some overlying bodyfat.

The thing is, the kind of progress you're looking for takes time, persistent/consistent effort, and patience.

You look pretty young (to me, at age 66 myself). As a young adult, these time scales seem really, really long - can be frustrating! They're a big percentage of your lifespan to date, after all.

At the same time, you're at the age/stage where you can make the fastest progress in muscularity/body composition that you're ever going to be able to make. Stick with it!

I can guarantee you that your older self, decades down the road, will be grateful (and have a better quality of life) for the difficult, patient work you're putting in now. Establishing good life habits now, will have a big payoff later.

Frankly, I wish young Ann had been smarter about that.

At this point, your good route IMO - probably the route you're already on - is a very tiny calorie deficit or maintenance calories; continuing a good, progressive strength training program consistently; getting good overall nutrition (especially but not exclusively adequate protein).

You've clearly done well, and you'll keep doing well. Hang in there!
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    I use this bf% calculator.
    https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator/

It uses measurements, age and weight.

It calculates using four different formulas.
    I have a scale that also calculates bf%.
    Then I average the 5 to get my best estimate.

You need to be aware that bf% calculators are based on averages. There are more accurate ways to measure bf%.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I use this bf% calculator.
    https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator/

It uses measurements, age and weight.

It calculates using four different formulas.
    I have a scale that also calculates bf%.
    Then I average the 5 to get my best estimate.

You need to be aware that bf% calculators are based on averages. There are more accurate ways to measure bf%.

I think you know this, but OP might not: Those scales aren't necessarily accurate, either. They just send a week electrical current through your body, look at what comes back electrically from the round trip, and use population norms to make a body fat estimate.

Your suggestion of looking for multiple estimates and averaging is very sensible. I'd include looking at those photo-type things that someone else posted, as another source to average in.

OP, your exact body fat percentage is less important than feeling good, and looking better as you go along (eventually, looking as good as you want to look, understanding and valuing your own individual genetics).