Shape Shifters Team Chat - MAY 2022

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,322 Member
    edited May 2022
    @LaurieWrobo - I’m glad you shared your feelings of disappointment after posting a long message and not seeing a reply. It’s a helpful reminder that an active core of member participation brings more energy, support, and strength to the community.

I read all the comments here, and visit the site each day when I fill out my food diary, but your comment made me wonder how often Shape Shifters engage with the MFP site.

I’m curious how often we each check in with the Shape Shifters Chat page and whether it helps us stay on track. What is your typical check in frequency and does it help you with your exercise and nutrition goals?

For me, it’s a good accountability reminder and I feel some support, knowing I’m not alone in my work to improve my health and wellbeing. Still, it takes time, and I’ve definitely had to ignore (or somewhat neglect) other areas of my life that used to get more attention. I’m hoping that maintenance will get easier over time, and won’t require so much mental energy and time. If we don’t have a foundation of health, it’s definitely more difficult to pursue other goals, so I think health needs to be our first priority — followed closely by education in terms of investments from the government, etc. This seems to be what @Pupowl was describing above with the Netherlands investment in citizens’ health as the main starting point or focus.

Do you feel as though we are investing in one another at the right level here in the Shape Shifters group chat? Are you contributing as much as you are receiving?

We all ebb and flow regarding our ability to give, so these questions are not intended to add guilt to our lives if we are at our limit. Research says that people become happier through giving to others so I wonder how we can achieve the right balance. What do you all think? I’d love to hear your thoughts —
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited May 2022
    If anyone is interested in the research on happiness I mentioned above, I’m including a link below. Many of the studies that are published focus on giving money, but giving time can create more of a positive impact.

https://bigthink.com/neuropsych/psychology-of-giving-to-charity/
  • KHill875
    KHill875 Posts: 156 Member
    KHill875
    Friday weigh in
    PW: 141.4
    CW: 142.1

Sorry! I have been working out 3 times a week since Jan and clothes seem to be fitting better. I just not losing weight.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @KHill875 - Hang in there. Savor those non scale victories (NSV)! No need to apologize, especially when you feel as though you’re making progress.

Has anyone else experienced a NSV you want to share? It’s definitely uplifting to hear about the various benefits of improving our nutrition and fitness!
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,075 Member
    KHill875 wrote: »
    KHill875
    Friday weigh in
    PW: 141.4
    CW: 142.1

Sorry! I have been working out 3 times a week since Jan and clothes seem to be fitting better. I just not losing weight.

@KHill875 Never apologize for doing everything right! If you feel your clothes feeling better and you're following your routine, your body is just being stubborn...could be a million different things, but the science WILL win out, so just keep up your hard work.

I am proud of your hard work! Stand tall!
    Jessica :smile:
  • jessicakrall8
    @KHill875 - Hang in there. Savor those non scale victories (NSV)! No need to apologize, especially when you feel as though you’re making progress.

Has anyone else experienced a NSV you want to share? It’s definitely uplifting to hear about the various benefits of improving our nutrition and fitness!

My NSV is that I stayed on track all week, even when emotionally I had a rough couple of days this week. I don't have anything in particular to tie it to, I was just down and a little sad for a few days. Kept up my food tracking, drank my water and walked my butt off every day, hitting both my intentional walking goal as well as my daily step goal. In fact, I exceeded both all week. This morning I walked three times and hit my step goal before lunch time!

I'm getting ready to lie down and read for a bit. Later today I'll be posting next week's group challenge. Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    edited May 2022
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited May 2022
    @jessicakrall8 - You had a big loss to celebrate this week, too! Congratulations to you, especially for continuing to make progress despite feeling down. It was that kind of week for me, too. I was not as productive as I should have been — not even close. 😬

I’m wiping the slate clean. Best wishes for the coming week, Shape Shifters!
  • jessicakrall8
    @jessicakrall8 - You had a big loss to celebrate this week, too! Congratulations to you.

Best wishes for the coming week, Shape Shifters!

Thank you @PatriceFitnessPal ...didn't want to seem like I was bragging, so I usually leave myself out. Appreciate your kindness more than you'll ever know.

Jess :blush:
  • jessicakrall8
    The Week 4 Group Challenge is posted and ready to start on 5/22/22. Join us for fun, new ideas with Nutrition Bingo. AND there's a prize...hope to see you there! Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10865016/may-week-4-group-challenge-nutrition-bingo#latest

Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    d16b9vmg2t93.jpg

Missing weigh-ins for this week (incl today):
    @paulerdmann1 (x2)
    @ac204
    @justanotherloser007

Walkers, please update your week 3 stats in this thread so I can update the sheet. I really appreciate how all of you have been posting regularly. It really makes my job easier! THANK YOU!!! :blush:
    Jessica
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited May 2022
    Steps:
    5/18 7,271
    5/19 4,941
    5/20 5,276

A couple low days as the week is winding down I was more exhausted after 2 straight days of meetings with no real breaks
    Weather is still cool in WI today only high 50s with clouds our normal highs are mid 60s; yesterday there were clouds and ot was really dark, but hit 80, but I was working of course and then it dropped to 50s by dinner
    I swear this weather just plays a part in my mood
    I met a friend for breakfast this morning after my interval barre class at the studio and it was good to spend time with her and I actually ran into my son and his wife having breakfast there too so they stopped after they got done. My son got some mulch for my garden lifting the bags and putting it down. My husband raked the mulch over which he did ok with his stomach muscles still in recovery from surgery.
    Then after we went to buy some flowers and veggies to plant - I have to pick up a few more as there weren't enough different kinds of tomatoes and peppers
    Tomorrow is grocery day so going to set up for some healthy eats for the week
    We also have a diabetes nutrition class on Monday morning for my husband to learn how he should set up for optimal eating with his insulin shots
    Then we see the diabetes doctor on Friday to talk about his insulin and progress- we have been keeping track of his glucose levels for the past month
  • LaurieWrobo

Congrats to All!!
    Congrats @jessicakrall8 !!
  • LaurieWrobo
    @jessicakrall8 - You had a big loss to celebrate this week, too! Congratulations to you, especially for continuing to make progress despite feeling down. It was that kind of week for me, too. I was not as productive as I should have been — not even close. 😬

I’m wiping the slate clean. Best wishes for the coming week, Shape Shifters!

I'm doing the same - it was a difficult week - I would like to be Toning for summer - I don't like what I see right now
  • Jax_Grim
    Jax_Grim Posts: 381 Member
    Steps

5/18 - 14527
    5/19 - 14744
    5/20 - 15208
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,542 Member
    Saturday - 21 May
    Steps: 15.789
    Good morning Shape Shifters. It was another day at the gym for me. It was really busy and my arms felt a bit weak. I am guessing from all the cleaning I did on Friday. I was also a bit zoned out. At one point I was wondering why my alternate arm curls were feeling so heavy. I need to do 12 with each arm for a set, so I usually count to 24 total, but then I realised I was doing that for one arm, meaning I did double. No wonder it felt heavy!
    At the end of the morning my letter about my benefit arrived. It still hasn't really sunk in yet that I will not be bothered by them anymore about having to work. I am super relieved though. I went to the store to pick up something nice to celebrate, which was honestly just stupid. The buns were fine, adding a package of stroopwafels was overkill and again, plain stupid. I know I can't pace myself with that and will eat the whole package throughout the day. So why did I do it?! It was around 2100 calories for the whole thing; it's bloody ridiculous. I felt a little sick at night (no shiitake). Ugh.
    Happy Sunday everyone <3
This discussion has been closed.