Skipping Meal after 4 pm

Hi,
I have been observing since 3 months that skipping meal after 4 pm is helping me to lose 200 gm per day approximately, resulting to lose 1 kg in a week without any workout, however remaining meals must also be in control.
I have been trying to lose my weight
currently at 77 kg, target at 73 kg
any better idea?
Tagged:

Replies

• 26DEEP91
    26DEEP91 Posts: 67 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    What you're doing is called intermittent fasting. If it helps you to stay within your calorie goal, good for you.

However, losing 200gr a day would be 1.4kg per week. Even the 1kg per week you mentioned seems too much to me to be healthy: it's way beyond the 0.5-1% of bodyweight per week that is generally recommended as a weight loss rate. Faster is not necessarily better 😉 but if it's only for a few weeks (not much weight to lose), it might be less bad.

My concern would be: what happens when you reach your goal? If you go back to eating after 4pm, you'll likely gain the weight back unless you have a plan.

When I will reach my goal, I might start eating on alternate days or something like that
  • 26DEEP91
    sijomial wrote: »
    Why are you trying to lose weight so fast?

Seems a very poor idea to lose weight rapdily while not working out. Don't you want to lose fat rather than muscle?

1 kg per week is not fast
  • 26DEEP91
    You can also cut the same number of calories that would be in that meal at any other time of day and it will have the same result on fat loss.
    Simplified: if you are in a calorie deficit, you lose.

No There's diffrence
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    26DEEP91 wrote: »

Seems a very poor idea to lose weight rapdily while not working out. Don't you want to lose fat rather than muscle?

Yes it is when you are so close to goal weight.
    And it's more of a problem when you aren't training to preserve your muscle in the face of that deficit.

Two bad ideas.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member

?? Where are you getting that 2.2lb weight loss per week is “SO FAST?” back up your statements instead of fear mongering.

GENERALLY SPEAKING 1% of total body weight per week (more or less depending on your current body fat %) can be done without adverse effects. Higher body fat % may look at 1.5%.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    azuki84 wrote: »

?? Where are you getting that 2.2lb weight loss per week is “SO FAST?” back up your statements instead of fear mongering.

GENERALLY SPEAKING 1% of total body weight per week (more or less depending on your current body fat %) can be done without adverse effects. Higher body fat % may look at 1.5%.

OP says CW 77kg, goal 73kg. 1kg is > 1% CW (it's about 1.3%). If 73kg is a reasonable goal weight, OP doesn't have much weight to lose, though we don't know what that means in terms of BF%, of course.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    OP's starting weight is/was 170lbs, he was losing 2.2 lbs a week, that's 1.3%.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,935 Member
    You can also cut the same number of calories that would be in that meal at any other time of day and it will have the same result on fat loss.

No There's diffrence

I disagree completely.

What would the difference be?

How do the laws of thermodynamics change by changing the schedule of your caloric deficit?

I disagree in this particular case.

If you were 120 KG looking to get to 73 KG, then 1 KG per week might not be that fast. Even then it wouldn't be sustainable. At 77 KG trying to get to 73 KG, then 1 kilo per week is too fast. Then again, if you're really only doing it for four weeks, you won't do THAT much damage.

The next question is: What do you do in four weeks when you weigh 73 KG?
  • sijomial
    edited June 2022

@azuki84

Your maths has let you down!
    1% of 77kg is 0.77kg and OP is trying to lose faster at 1kg.
    GENERALLY SPEAKING (why capital letters?) 1% would be a reasonable upper limit unless someone is very high BF% - which OP isn't, he is near the end of his weight loss.

Yes people can cut faster and harder for short periods. But he has been at it for three months not a short period.

And those doing a short and fast cut would be well advised to train properly while losing quickly and pay good attention to their protein intake - which the OP isn't.

Not fear mongering - just trying to advise OP to lose those last few kg sensibly and in line with his request for "better ideas" rather than what he is doing now.
  • azuki84
    edited June 2022
    @azuki84

GENERALLY SPEAKING (why capital letters?) 1% would be a reasonable upper limit unless someone is very high BF% - which OP isn't, he is near the end of his weight loss.

Yes people can cut faster and harder for short periods. But he has been at it for three months not a short period.

And those doing a short and fast cut would be well advised to train properly while losing quickly and pay good attention to their protein intake - which the OP isn't.

Not fear mongering - just trying to advise OP to lose those last few kg sensibly and in line with his request for "better ideas" rather than what he is doing now.

Your readings has let you down!

I capitalized GENERALLY SPEAKING so people like you can understand what I mean. Note I typed "Higher body fat % may look at 1.5%."
  • sijomial
    @azuki84

Your readings has let you down!

I capitalized generally speaking so people like you can understand what I mean. Note I typed "Higher body fat % may look at 1.5%."

Nothing wrong with my reading.
    A lot wrong with your context in a thread where the OP is asking how to lose the last few kilos better.

If you want to argue that faster weight loss is better for some (just some) fatter people I wouldn't disagree - but I totally disagree that faster than 1% is better for the OP.
  • azuki84

Nothing wrong with my reading.
    A lot wrong with your context in a thread where the OP is asking how to lose the last few kilos better.

If you want to argue that faster weight loss is better for some (just some) fatter people I wouldn't disagree - but I totally disagree that faster than 1% is better for the OP.

Plenty wrong with your reading. You didn't read what I typed. But I'm not going to argue with people who spend their entire lives 24/7 on myfitnesspal forums.
  • 26DEEP91
    mtaratoot wrote: »

No There's diffrence

I disagree completely.

What would the difference be?

How do the laws of thermodynamics change by changing the schedule of your caloric deficit?

I disagree in this particular case.

If you were 120 KG looking to get to 73 KG, then 1 KG per week might not be that fast. Even then it wouldn't be sustainable. At 77 KG trying to get to 73 KG, then 1 kilo per week is too fast. Then again, if you're really only doing it for four weeks, you won't do THAT much damage.

The next question is: What do you do in four weeks when you weigh 73 KG?

first about this

my friend if we consume food in day time our body works and try to get energy directly before excess calories get converted into fat
    in night our body just convert calories into fat

1 kg per week means around 3 to 4 kg in a month. i.e. 10 to 12 kg in 3 months
    this speed is not much
    however this is not possible while we have just started losing weight
    weight loss has a graph
    in first 2 month iwe will not lose weight at fast rate, after 2 month weight loss is at relatively higher
    so after 2 month weight loss 10 to 12 kg in 3 months is significant