WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2022

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,598 Member
    Lanette- sorry to hear DH is sick. As for the zero turn....think of it like riding a horse....if you want a horse to go faster you give it the reins(push the levers forward). If you want to stop a horse or make it go backwards you pull back on the reins (pull back on levers). To make a horse turn, you shorten the rein on the side you are turning towards (so turning left pull the left lever backwards as you keep the right one forward-this keeps both wheels moving so as to not tear up the grass!) Obviously opposite to turn right. I am proud of you using it. Zero turns can be intimidating to a lot of people. I tell our customers to practice without blades to get comfortable with steering. By the time you get the back done you will be a pro!

😉
    Kylia
    Ps. My lines with the zeroturn still aren't straight, but neither can a park straight.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,315 Member
    edited May 2022
    kymarai wrote: »
    Lanette- sorry to hear DH is sick. As for the zero turn....think of it like riding a horse....if you want a horse to go faster you give it the reins(push the levers forward). If you want to stop a horse or make it go backwards you pull back on the reins (pull back on levers). To make a horse turn, you shorten the rein on the side you are turning towards (so turning left pull the left lever backwards as you keep the right one forward-this keeps both wheels moving so as to not tear up the grass!) Obviously opposite to turn right. I am proud of you using it. Zero turns can be intimidating to a lot of people. I tell our customers to practice without blades to get comfortable with steering. By the time you get the back done you will be a pro!

😉
    Kylia
    Ps. My lines with the zeroturn still aren't straight, but neither can a park straight.

Kylia - you are absolutely right, great analogy to think of it as riding a horse! Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to hear. <3<3<3

I noticed as I was mowing around trees in the back, if I didn't think about it and just did "what comes natural" it was a breeze. When I overthought it - which lever should I push/pull to go around this tree, then it got rocky. The backing up part is still iffy - those front wheels want to spin here and there.

Had DH not been sitting there watching, I would have turned off the blades and practised.

Now I'm looking forward to getting back on the beast! Thanks again!!!

Lanette <3B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) We had beautiful weather here so I was able to get out and work in the yard more than I have so far this spring. I am beginning to prepare the area for planting zucchini along with working on spreading bark and a rock project. I love my yard projects. I am grateful that we moved over ten years ago to this home with a smaller yard so the projects are fun rather than overwhelming. We have a small patch of grass that Jake can mow in a fairly short time even with his need to sit down and rest a few times during the process.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Wish I had a clock so I could time how long the lettuce is in the ice water. I think I’m getting faster at the job and I want to be sure it’s in the ice water a fair amount of time.

Barbara – I would use my phone for a timer, but I really don’t want to take it out by the pool.

Michele NC

A watch?

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,718 Member
    Heather - I feel we don’t see enough of our grands anymore either. I’ve made some plans with both of the individually for the summer.
    Have a wonderful time with Edie.

Machka - I love Nora Roberts.

Barbara - yes I believe Rodger does suffer from sinus infections, but he is very stubborn and self diagnoses most of the time. I told him for 5 years his frequent headaches were blood pressure related but he didn’t believe me until he had a toothache and the dentist wouldn’t do anything until his BP was under control. Surprise the frequent headaches disappeared. Now he gets them less frequently and I’m sure they are sinus headaches because when I convince him to try a sinus pain reliever they finally go away.

Annie - my Mom was not a tidy person in most things. I learned later in life that a lot of it was lack of storage in the house and keeping too much. She was very clean though. Anyway I think because of that I am quite the opposite I have to have things in their place. If things are untidy for a day or so I feel myself getting anxious and angry.
    My eldest daughter is overwhelmed by all cleaning and my youngest is like me.
    One of our friends moved in to help her parents the last years of their lives. They paid her as they would have for in home care less room and board. It worked out well for both of them

Carol - That sounds like a tough life.
    My husband and I have never split up but we have both walked out for a few hours to breathe a few times.
    Relationships can be so difficult.

Kylia - what a great day and beautiful family.

Kay - is there anyway of getting some relief for nights from a home care worker?

Went out for lunch at Olive Garden ate way too much but really enjoyed the day.
    I then went to Walmart and bought an outfit that my youngest hinted she would like to have for her baby due in December. Bought the other two Grands something yesterday. Tomorrow I’ll take it to her.

I’m off to bed. I’ve been sleepy all day today for some reason.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    edited May 2022
    exermom wrote: »
    We’re going to be at Denise’s for 3 nights. I know that I’ll have to make dinner for those nights. I’m trying to think of what I can make that PJ will enjoy “helping” with. I’m thinking Shake & Bake pork chops (he’ll help shake), a meatloaf where he can “help” mix, but what can I make the third night? Any ideas. You ladies always have such great ideas. I can make cookies (the cut and bake type, he can shape them). KJ – maybe you have an idea? I’d like to think of another dessert, too. I’m thinking since I know that I’ll need to do things like bring a pan to cook the meatloaf in.

Michele NC

How old is he now?

Have you asked what he likes eating?

And as for the third night ... pizza or tacos or spaghetti or home-made hamburgers.

I'd actually replace the pork chops with pizza or tacos or spaghetti or home-made hamburgers, but that's because I don't like pork chops, especially when they're disguised in some sort of coating.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Poerava14 wrote: »

Lanette, Katie, Katla, Machka, Annie
    and others of you who are caregiving for loved ones....my heartfelt hugs and energy to you. I have been reading my journal from last year at this time. Enlightening, but painful to revisit. My DH was in the hospital awaiting admittance to hospice. Everything was so uncertain at the time, and I still had so much to do at home with caring for my sick (dying) brother and a needy cat. It seemed at the time that I was perpetually running on empty, and never had any time alone to recharge. Now, the pendulum has swung and I'm alone a heck of alot. I am kind of wistful for the days when there were more voices in our little home. But, that could also just be my grieving heart talking. I can't shake the nostalgia of good times and sweet memories. A day at a time.

Hugs ... and energy is what I need.

The highest energy level I feel I've reached in the past 4 years is the orange one in the middle ...

wet6t6qved1j.png

Poerava14 wrote: »
    Would appreciate any advice from those of you who use trainers for your bikes. What type/model would you recommend as I get myself started on using my new bike for indoor exercise? I could have used it today as we woke up to 8 inches of snow that had fallen last night. Dramatic change from the high temperatures we have been having recently. It's good to have the moisture. Leafy trees and recently planted flowers all suffering, though. Lots of broken branches around my neighborhood.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

I want it to snow to sea level this winter. It did in 2016! But the main reason I want it to that again is because I'd like to introduce Rhody to snow. :):)

As for trainers ...

If you're thinking of getting right into Zwift or similar to do their events etc., I'd recommend looking at smart trainers like Tacx, Wahoo, Kickr, etc.

If you just want to ride (and maybe be compatible with Zwift to ride some of the routes), I'd recommend a fluid trainer. I've had my fluid trainer for years ... I think I got it in about 2003. Then we got another one when I moved to Australia in 2009 which my husband uses.
    In 2018, we got the electronics to hook us up to Zwift.
    https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/indoor-fluid-bike-trainers

I have tried a wind trainer and magnetic trainer, but didn't like either of them.

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,022 Member
    edited May 2022
    Good morning all. Just relaxing before I get started for the morning.

Heather: It's the same for DH and I. We are friends. We're opposites, and he is normally the calm one, but he does have his moments. I have to say that I have calmed down quite a lot in recent years. It makes for a much more relaxed home life. The odd compliment goes a long way.
    Barbara: It sounds like Joe is learning to be more demonstrative. I hope he continues.
    Annie: You certainly seem to have been through a lot. You're a good daughter. I'm sure your parents were glad that you where are there through the pandemic.
    Kylia: Those are lovely grad pictures. We have just booked to go over to Oxford to celebrate my granddaughter's graduation in July. We are going on the ferry.
    Rori: You have come such a long way in adjusting since last year. As you say, one day at a time. (((Hugs)))

We're hoping to talk to the family this afternoon on Skype.

🥳🎉 Cheers to all those celebrating.
    Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.
    🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    edited May 2022
    Done a truncated exercise session and then half an hour of back exercises. Only 250 calories in all, but I'm cutting down on CI a bit. Only 4 weeks until the cruise. I have put on half a pound this week with the much reduced exercise, but I hope to build it up slowly. I think my back is trying to tell me I have been overexercising, so I won't go back to the amount I was doing. It's nice to do a bit less and I feel happier for it. It was beginning to be a burden.
    When Edie leaves I will try to fit in a few stretches..

Rori - Still need healing vibes. <3 But I feel more confident that it will improve. It's a lot better than Tuesday when I felt quite nauseous with the pain. Now it is variable and sometimes I forget about it. I'm really looking forward to my hour long massage on Tuesday. Can't wait!!! :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    edited May 2022
    Sunday
    - Sleep ... tired after bicycle ride yesterday.
    - Gardening ... I haven't dug in the garden for about a month. I'll probably be stiff tomorrow.
    - Walking ... looking for neighbour's lost dog.
    - Cycling ... out for a short 9 km ride.
    - Walking/Standing ... taking Rhody for a walk.
    - Colouring ... I'm doing something bright yellow this time.
    - Legalling ... it's what I do in the evenings!

iqfkwahg27jc.png

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    We have terra-trykes that we keep in our garage. They are three wheeled and can be ridden outside on city streets. Two wheels are on the front and the third is on the back. We keep ours on trainers in our garage for exercise. It has been a long time since we have ridden them outside.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    Morning ladies
    Alfie woke me up to eat and now is back under the covers lol
    Its going to be another scorcher today so im staying inside and getting more cleaning done.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,598 Member
    <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,342 Member
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Lanette - I was scared to try the zero turn mower when Corey first got it, but Kylia's instructions are really good. I just got out there and figured it out, but I admit it was easier to figure it out if Corey wasn't around. Quite unnerving when they're watching. The hard part for me was braking (I'm better now) and figuring out where the blades are running so I could get close to the fences, etc. The fun parts are the long straightaways that let me run fast enough to create my own breeze and the turns around the trees. Once I figured out a little bit about what I was doing, I really enjoyed it. I do love instant gratification... :smiley: I did have to get him to take the sissy bar off, as I kept catching it on tree limbs and scaring the living snot out of myself when the front wheels would come off the ground.

Kylia -
    Loved the graduation photos! Like you, I can't do a straight line with anything. The only person who ever tut-tutted me on not being able to park straight got my pat answer: "Well, it's a good thing my self-esteem doesn't depend on my parking skills." Ha! Still doesn't, which is a good thing. I know my depth perception is terribly flawed, but it keeps me from ever tailgating - I genuinely have no idea where my car's front bumper is in the spatial sense. The lines on the backup camera in the car have been a real lifesaver.

Rori - Thanks for the snow pics! What does Mars think of snow? That white stuff is why Corey and I live in Arkansas. So far, only one or two snowfalls here in the dead of winter, and the rainy springs make up for the moisture the ground needs. Cold hurts too much these days, and there's only so much the arthritis meds can do... I just realized that your brother is the only family I remember you speaking of. Do you have other extended family?

Heather - Can't wait to see pictures from your cruise, and glad to see your back is healing. Enjoy your Edie time!

I genuinely need to start back on weights. I've waited all week for Corey to stop and get gas for the mowers, and I hate nagging at him. But the reason I have to have him do it is that I cannot lift the five-gallon gas can, which weighs 40 pounds when full, and get it back in my car trunk. Right now, the big mower, the walk-behind trimmer, the small tractor mower, and the push mower all need gas. My upper body strength is gone, and I need to ramp up the weights and get it back.

Today is yard work day, and it's nice and cool this morning. Good time to do it. Corey's still asleep, and he still hasn't picked up gas, but I can use the battery trimmer or hand tools.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa