WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2022

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    Did Biggest Loser the Workout DVD. Pretty good but LONG. There’s an option for a shorter workout which I’m going to try another week. And….I even got to go for a walk around the block. Oh, life is good!

M – PJ is 3 now. I know that he’s made pizza, how can he help with tacos or spaghetti (except for breaking the spaghetti) I know Vince wouldn’t eat tacos so that probably won’t work. I thought of salmon cakes but then remembered that Denise doesn’t like fish so that’s out. I think I’d like to stay away from hamburgers since I’m thinking of a meatloaf one night. I’m wondering about Shake and Bake chicken. This way he can get used to the shaking and (hopefully) do a better job with the pork chops. I’d like to make a beer butt chicken (that would be sort-of neat to see), but I don’t think her refrigerator is large enough to brine the chicken.

M – have a technical question for you. They put Jess’ entire graduation on uTube. I’d like a copy of it. But, really, I don’t need all the speeches and seeing everyone getting their hoods. However, I’d ultimately like to just get the portion where Jess is getting her hood. I’m sure there’s a way to do it, I just don’t know how. Do you?

Barbara – At the pool, I time how much I’m in the sun. I know me, and I’d be out the entire day and then be like a lobster at night.

Rori – so great that you pop in and I’m in awe of how you’re handling things.

Not sure what I’m going to do next, probably clean one of the litter boxes then go in the pool. It’s supposed to rain later in the day so that’s when I’ll make the cornbread for Tuesday.

Michele NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited May 2022
    Lanette ... I'm so sorry that your husband is having health problems. Regardless of how he "feels" on Tuesday, I would still encourage him to see the doctor. During the years when stress was high (well, higher than normal), there were times when I considered leaving my husband ... even went so far as to pack mine and my son's bags one time ... but then sat down and laughed so hard. How, I though, am I going to tell a judge I want a divorce because my husband is being petulant because I won't make grape jelly this year? LOL! I shared that with my husband ... we worked things out.

Annie ... I am so sorry you are having problems with your parents. May I ask how old they are? My dad is 93 and my mom will soon be 91. After moving them into assisted living this past Christmas and dealing with multiple health issues, my father and I discussed changing his and my mother's power of attorney and health care directives. In part, he agreed to this because my mom is exhibiting more and more confusion. While my dad is still very capable of making his own decisions, I asked what would happen if something happened to him first ... how would mom deal with difficult decisions and financial details when some days she discusses things that have never happened. Maybe you could approach your dad in a similar way.

Terri ... is there a benefit to having your town now classified as a "city?"

Carol ... you are a strong woman!

It's a rainy cold day here after scorching temperatures yesterday and Friday. I got a little work done in the yard. After a year of nursing bad knees and the broken leg, I don't have much stamina. Only way to get that is to keep on keeping on.

Beth near Buffalo

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,436 Member
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,578 Member
    Lanette if you have a Toro, there should be a lever in front of the seat that will change the ground speed from turtle-tow-rabbit. This lever is like first-second-and drive in your car. In turtle it is the slowest even if the handles are pushed all the way forward. Engine speed should always be on fast.

Lisa I agree about learning zero turn with husbands looking on. I tell my lady customers to wait until husband not home, then take mower out without turning on blades and have fun. "Sissy bar" lol! Have never heard it called that! If your land is flat, no biggie not having it. One of my customers was thankful for his as he rolled his mower on a hill. Only injury was a broken ankle, but could have been much worse.

Sitting at car show waiting for awards.....

Kylia currently in Columbus, Ohio
  • pipcd34
    Stat for the day-

housecleaning etc- 3hrs 35min 40sec, dust vacuum, laundry fold/put away, sweep front entryway = 964c

Took longer with my arm in a sling.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,639 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Well after the festivities yesterday i slept in but i did get up and do some things around the house a little at a time. It seems i can get more done that way.. my friend posted something on Facebook that was soooo true.. that i reposted..
    I stayed in all day and rested and worked ..
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,962 Member
    edited May 2022
    Thank you ladies for your support, as always. I'm thinking of postponing my mother's appointment until November or December, the dark months when she will be worse again. That's better than cancelling or trying to force the issue. And if she gets worse again, my dad might support me.

Beth my mom is 89 and my dad is 87.

Lanette I have a sister in Tennessee. I will ask her to jump in when the time comes. You are right, she should be involved.

Heather I have not contacted any resources. That's part of what this appointment is about, to get her diagnosed so we know where to turn. They have always turned to their minister but he has Covid.

Meanwhile there is a big thunderstorm coming. Teddy is cowering beside me.

Annie in Delaware
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,081 Member
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    Lanette – ever since Vince had to go to the hospital and they determined that his potassium level was low, he’s been having a banana every day. Oh, the other day bananas were on sale for 29 cents/pound. I now have three bags of bananas in my freezer...lol

pip – lovely table. And with one hand no less!

Anne in DE – why would your dad say something like that????

Got the litter box (that Vince said he wanted to clean) cleaned, cleaned the bathrooms, then went in the pool. Afterwards, got dinner ready for me, now have the cornbread in the oven.

Just saw the next-to-last episode of “This is Us”. Tissue anyone?

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,787 Member
    B)
  • pipcd34
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    M – PJ is 3 now. I know that he’s made pizza, how can he help with tacos or spaghetti (except for breaking the spaghetti) I know Vince wouldn’t eat tacos so that probably won’t work. I thought of salmon cakes but then remembered that Denise doesn’t like fish so that’s out. I think I’d like to stay away from hamburgers since I’m thinking of a meatloaf one night. I’m wondering about Shake and Bake chicken. This way he can get used to the shaking and (hopefully) do a better job with the pork chops. I’d like to make a beer butt chicken (that would be sort-of neat to see), but I don’t think her refrigerator is large enough to brine the chicken.

Does he have to help with the meat? Does he like meat? Does he like helping in the kitchen?

Remember, a 3 year old is going to have a limited attention span and may want to do things his way. You'll have to have a certain degree of tolerance for that.

Regarding the tacos, when I was young, my mother got me to shred the lettuce. If he can stir or mash, he might be able to help with the guacamole.

What about perogies ... he can help mix the filling and maybe dab the filling onto the dough.

There's nothing wrong with having both meatloaf and hamburgers.

He could help mash the potatoes that go with the meatloaf. We hand mash ours with a great little masher I picked up recently ... which we also use for mashing the filling in perogies.

Then the next day, he could shred the lettuce to go on the hamburgers and help make the patties. My grandmother used to make home made hamburgers and they were the best!! I loved them. It's one of my memories of her cooking. :heart: My husband and I have something similar now and then, but with veggie burgers. Not quite as good, but similar.

(An aside ... it's always puzzled me why people talk about meals in terms of meat. I'm more likely to say, we're having pasta or baked potatoes or roast veggies or a salad for dinner tonight. There might be meat too, but that's an incidental thing to add a bit of protein. I don't know what my husband has in mind for dinner tonight, but it will likely be steamed veggies and something).

M – have a technical question for you. They put Jess’ entire graduation on uTube. I’d like a copy of it. But, really, I don’t need all the speeches and seeing everyone getting their hoods. However, I’d ultimately like to just get the portion where Jess is getting her hood. I’m sure there’s a way to do it, I just don’t know how. Do you?

Michele NC

Not off hand. I've made videos but have never pulled apart a YouTube. You'd probably need a premium membership for a start.

M in Oz
  • Machka9

Michele NC

I'll add something here ...

Because you've only seen PJ once or twice, and some time ago, you don't know him. He may have absolutely no interest in helping Grandma in the kitchen.

I would suggest setting aside all expectations and being flexible. Things are not likely to go the way you're thinking.

Maybe he's got a favourite place to eat out ... there are a number of places that cater to kids. Chuck E. Cheese is one I've heard of. Maybe it would be fun to take him to such a place one night and focus more on playing with him rather than what you eat.

If he has no interest in helping, maybe he'd like it if you sat down and built legos with him, or read him a story, or watched his favourite show with him, or played games.

Isn't this visit mainly about getting to know your grandson and what he likes, and not about what's for dinner?

That said, if he has made pizza, that's definitely one I'd plan on. Let him tell you how it's made if he wants. :)

Machka in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, PT x 1, dogs to powerline, CI<CO, CI<250<CO
    Bonus: church, council meeting,
    Workin’ on it: 5/21: 141.5, H20x6, active 5:27
    5/22: 140!!!, H20x5, active 2:46
    Meaningful May
    23: Recall three things you’ve done that you’re proud of.

Knee/leg pain changing, hope that’s a good sign. Will ask PT guy tomorrow. Got a pass from Tuesday’s sandwich-a-thon, think best to give knee a rest from standing so long. Fortunately enough volunteers in town. Caught another mouse in the pantry but that’s another story ;}

Heather, will Max still live at home while attending secondary school? Are my images of British boarding school obsolete? :love: the Edie pics and “construction”
    Sue in MO, :love: the pup. Logging (and weighing food) is a real eye-opener.
    Lanette “being grateful today” ((hugs))
    Annie ((hugs)) Hope you can find a “respected male” your father would listen to, as Lanette suggests. ((hugs))
    Margaret great advice on how to enjoy the time with memories and simple projects. Tough times.
    Beth :love: your petulant … grape jelly story. Laughter is so very healing ;)
    Michele sure hope you use sunscreen. Skin cancer is absolutely no fun at all.
    Machka :love: your garden, and your wise words to Michele about getting to know PJ and what he likes.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif
  • Machka9
    edited May 2022
    4i7o0ew4vh68.png

Monday
    Gardening - digging
    Cycling - as above
    Walking - around the yard with Rhody

And getting some stuff done.

Also, with all the talk about tacos, we went to Zambreros for dinner: vegetarian burrito!

I'm still working on this garden bed. The phlox are hanging in there and I don't want to dig them up while they're blooming, so I've been digging on either side of them.

Also, our glads grew baby bulbs on the big bulb. Not sure what that means. I love them ... they're gorgeous ... but I need to find a better place for them.

nrdl51hu55pt.png

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,578 Member
    <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,267 Member
    Machka ~ Your advice to Michele is exactly what I was thinking. You never know what a 3 yr old will be interested in!

Carol in GA
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,932 Member
    Good morning all. I had an early hearing test this morning, and have decided to upgrade my hearing aids. They should be ready next Tuesday.

Annie: Rescheduling mom’s appointment seems sensible. Gives you time to maybe get your dad on board.
    Heather: I find it takes much longer for ailments to clear up these days. Hope the massage does the trick. 🥰 Your Eddie visit pic.
    Beth: I’ve no idea if there are any benefits to being made a city. It’s not as if it will create any immediate changes.

Cheers

☘️ Terri
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    edited May 2022
    Barbara- No, Max will be going to a day school in the next town. There is a free school bus to pick up kids from B&H.
    There are still boarding schools over here, but I'm glad he isn't going to one.

I'm going to investigate putting in a grab bar for my bath. It's a big, deep bath and I use a lot of Oilatum , which makes it slippery. Plus a bad back ..... ;) May have to get a handyman. I will see what my son says, but I will have to wait until he gets back from their holiday, if he does it. We have tiles around the bath, so it's not simple.
    I will research. I am managing at the moment, but fear slipping. 😨

Picking up Edie and Bea this afternoon so the parents get a few moments to get things organised. They are all having to wake up at 4.30 tomorrow morning.....ugh.

Did lots of back exercises this morning and 20 mins rowing. Long walks for pick up. Rain is a possibility. :#

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    <3