frankwbrown Posts: 12,044 Member
    Daily Step goal: 10,000

Thu 5/19: 12,658
    Fri 5/20: 13,704
    Sat 5/21: 15,780
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited May 2022
    @angemarie28 I bet you're exhausted doing so many hours.I used to work in schools & was always ill every end of term as so tired!

Believe me I know how tough teenage boys can be, I've done it twice.The best thing I did was get them to work. My 2 both had paper rounds & then worked part time in the Newsagent & also at weekends when they were at Uni. It was like boot camp for boys. They had to be up early,it gave them a bit of money & they grew in confidence.

My boys are still at home & I think it is more difficult & expensive for them to be independent. It is hard having adult kids at home though. We have lost 1 room downstairs as it is been used as a bedroom for my eldest son. Plus as an office as he works from home.

My husband always says you have to re chip your brain to come to terms with your kids growing up & the family dynamic changing. I do enjoy their company but have to admit its pretty tough being the only female in the house.

Which is why I'm off to Spain tomorrow with a girl friend.A few days of sun & sangria sounds good to me 😎💃🧃

Enjoy your trip, @izzyred9400! I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your friend and have a chance to relax. I second your recommendation to encourage working as a teenager. It can be an eye-opener in so many ways: managing time and money, planning ahead, clearer understanding of working adulthood, waking up earlier and maintaining a schedule, etc.

TL/DR version: Early work experience is great preparation, especially because it allows us to ‘fail’ and problem-solve less-consequential situations so we can learn and grow to deal with higher-stakes experiences (Also TL 🤣).

My older son got certified as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) in high school and he was surprised - or a bit indignant? - when the local health clinic didn’t allow him to interact with patients right away. Our sons always did yard work, household chores, and grocery shopping with us, but I guess once he received his certification he didn’t expect to do the entry level ‘grunt’ work most young people have to do 😥. That was an awakening for him!

My younger son worked as a summer camp counselor and swim instructor at the YMCA across from our house. He came home one day and told us he wanted to write a letter to his former teachers 😂 to apologize for chasing after a wayward ball without heeding their warnings (and other behavior that must have been scary for the adults but felt overbearing to the children).

They both work a few hours per week for my husband’s company and it’s been a good experience for them to research tax laws, learn about budgeting and cash flow, establish new business processes, etc. One son has communicated well when he can’t attend our weekly meetings. He tells us ahead of time and makes a backup plan. However, his brother has missed a number of meetings with no advance contact.

He’s had some major mental health struggles this year so I’m trying to strike the right balance in my communication with him about it. For example, he’s stayed up late and then fallen asleep at the time of our call. So, we talked about strategies he could apply next time that happens (e.g., let us know you’re taking a nap and might need to miss the meeting but can catch up in some suggested way, set an alarm before napping instead of assuming you’ll wake up naturally, plan your sleep better ahead of time and develop a plan for dealing with unexpected insomnia or other interruptions). He missed another meeting recently so I need to talk with him again.

Right now, I wouldn’t feel comfortable referring him for a job - and maybe he’ll eventually need the natural, real-world consequence of being fired - but I hope he wants to work with me to improve, and I hope I can support him in the right ways so he can thrive when the job is something he cares about in terms of his own independence or career. The fact that he’s not really that interested in the field that my husband works in might be part of the problem with his motivation so he always has the option of ‘quitting’ since it’s their choice to do this work or not — but the pay is quite good for the flexibility and limited hours!

I completely agree that life is far more complex and expensive for today’s young adult trying to make it in the world. The adolescents’ primary job is to separate from their parents and yet it’s so difficult to afford a living space and they never get a break from the judgement of social media comments and ever-present audience of peers, etc. Mistakes are a fundamental part of learning but we seem to shame people instead of using experiences as a part of growing. I always told my sons I wanted to support them through ‘incremental failure’ so that mistakes didn’t feel unmanageable later when the stakes feel higher.

That’s why I love the samurai quote “Fall down seven times, get up eight.” It’s not the falling that matters; taking the next step forward is the most important action. I hope everyone is taking that next step today! — or stumble or crawl or let’s us know you need a hand to get up and maybe a shoulder to feel more confident in taking the next step!! Be well —
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 209 Member
    @LaurieWrobo I echo @CasandraW comment. I usually check this thread at least every other day, read most posts, but I don't always know what to say. I'll also try to do better with interacting here.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 9,901 Member
    n1bx52w74edw.png

q2pps8e12ys4.png
    dycs4x156v7l.png

Leaderboardgraphic.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    huq8df3e1dem.png

By Pounds
    tlcelalb68gi.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    dxxniw3buykc.png

By Pounds
    rskvvcoc5zyn.png
    ar8fn0fic47e.png

Team Winners
    nhfhrwh7piet.png
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,009 Member
    CONGRATS to our team winners and honorable mentions! Great job this week!
    Jess
  • Jax_Grim
    Jax_Grim Posts: 381 Member
    So I'm not losing the amount I should be losing. I've only dropped like 2 lbs all month total. I believe mu main issue may be the calorie burned calculation from my watch. My heart rate is about 10 bpm faster than average. When my watch thinks I'm in the fat burning zone for exercise, I am most likely not. I used a calculator that factors in resting heart rate and my new heart rate goal for exercise is about 132 bpm rather than 120. I may start going to the gym to walk to ensure I stay at the right pace and hopefully get more consistent losses.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member
    Here is the link to our registration for June ...Please encourage friends or share the link to join our awesome team ...Thanks :)
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10865076/registration-for-new-members-june-2022#latest
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Hi SS... You have a new member joining your awesome team ...Please welcome @SavageMrsMoose :)
  • Jax_Grim
    Jax_Grim Posts: 381 Member
    Welcome aboard @SavageMrsMoose
  • jessicakrall8
    y2x870s7461t.png
    Welcome @SavageMrsMoose to our team! Glad you found your way to us. When you get a few minutes, please introduce yourself and tell us a little about what you're hoping to accomplish during June and beyond!

I'll send out an official welcome once we get the June chat thread running, but wanted to say hi and encourage you to go back to page one of this chat thread, read our FAQ and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help. I'm your Captain, Jessica and on behalf of our entire team, we hope we can give you the support and encouragement you need to meet your goals.

Can't wait to hear more from you!
    Jessica :smile:
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    You have a new member joining your team ...Please welcome @reneek21 :)
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,452 Member
    Sunday - 22 May
    Steps: 13.423
    Good morning Shape Shifters and welcome new members! I hope you will enjoy your stay here.
    I had a lazy day, which was needed. I did laundry and had a phonecall with my mom. She always calls on Sundays. I ordered a testkit of two sounds buttons from Fluentpet to see if it something Tinus might be interested in. You can basically use them to teach your cat/dog to talk. I feel like he already knows a lot of words, so I am really curious to see how it goes. The buttons aren't cheap, so I figured testing it out first would be smart.
    Happy Monday everyone <3
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,509 Member
    Oh dear! Back on it at 118.7kg! Not a lot to say to that other than "Here I go again..."
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,241 Member
    Pupowl wrote: »
    Sunday - 22 May
    Steps: 13.423
    Good morning Shape Shifters and welcome new members! I hope you will enjoy your stay here.
    I had a lazy day, which was needed. I did laundry and had a phonecall with my mom. She always calls on Sundays. I ordered a testkit of two sounds buttons from Fluentpet to see if it something Tinus might be interested in. You can basically use them to teach your cat/dog to talk. I feel like he already knows a lot of words, so I am really curious to see how it goes. The buttons aren't cheap, so I figured testing it out first would be smart.
    Happy Monday everyone <3

Good morning!! Wow, I didn't know there was such a thing to have cats talk!! Let me know how that works out!!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Hi SS..You have another new member joining your amazing team ... Please welcome @thebettybadazz :)
  • jessicakrall8
    You have a new member joining your team ...Please welcome @reneek21 :)

r7c5lraex9h9.jpg
    Welcome @reneek21 and @thebettybadazz to our team! Glad you found us! I'm Jessica, your Captain and on behalf of our team and our Motivators @angmarie28 and @PatriceFitnessPal we hope we can help keep you going as you work towards your goals! A hearty WELCOME BACK also to @TheMrWobbly !

When each of you has a second, introduce yourselves and tell us a little about what you hope to accomplish during the month of June (and beyond)! I sincerely hope you will find inspiration, some good ideas, direction and kindness from our group. In the years I've been here, I've found them to be an endless source of help through my journey. I just know you will as well.

Again, welcome and I encourage you to go back to pg one of this May chat thread and read our FAQ file for answers to common questions. If you don't see what you need there, feel free to post your concern and we will work to get you an answer.

Good luck this month! Let's get to work!
    Jessica :smile:
This discussion has been closed.