Weight loss in 40s

2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Tarzan37 wrote: »
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, turning 40 in & of itself has exactly zero to do with your difficulties. Human metabolism is remarkably stable from ages 20-60; it's lifestyle/behavioral changes. Obviously if there is a medical condition that crops up, that's another story, and in that case your doctor should be able to give better advice than interweb randos. But for the overwhelming majority of people, "my metabolism tanked when I hit 30 (or 40, or 50)" just isn't valid.

Daily energy expenditure through the human life course
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34385400/

She stated that the normal things don't work to lose weight like they used to, which has been my experience as well. Many women have fluctuations in hormone levels during perimenopause, which normally begins in the early 40's. This leads to more weight being stored in the mid-region among other things. Simply discounting someone's experience isn't helpful.

That might be true, but eating the same amount of food, the fat gets redistributed from elsewhere to the midsection, and not piled on additionally. As stated above, metabolism simply breaks down once you hit 40/45/50. actual weight gain is related to moving less, eating more, even fidgetting less has an effect of calorie burn.
  • Tarzan37
    Tarzan37 Posts: 158 Member
    https://www.providence.org/news/uf/671535951?streamId=1631724

Check out the article above for more information. I won't be responding to this thread anymore, but the information above should be helpful for those who want to learn more.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    I cut back on sweeter fruits and vegetables like bananas and added more plant based fats and proteins. I also lift weights and plan on starting yoga to preserve muscle. Walking and stairs for cardio. I count calories, use a food scale and eat mostly whole foods.
  • ackkca73
    ackkca73 Posts: 1 Member
    I hit 45 and put on 20+kilo, I blamed menopause but just got out of hospital for an obstruction, seems scar tissue and impacted large intestine can go on for years and cause weight gain or weight loss, and later fatigue which I blamed the covid vaccinations for. Now I know why and that I can't eat certain foods I'm keen to be healthier that I ever have been. I'm not sayer a perfect body just a healthy one
  • icandoit2323
    icandoit2323 Posts: 31 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I'm in my 30's and having the same issue. Seems like losing weight was always so much easier when I was younger. I went back and looked at my MFP log from back then (2012ish) and I was eating so much less than I am now. (1500-1600 calories) No wonder I was thin. I don't know, I guess I just get hungrier as I get older?? LOL. I'm having trouble even staying below 2000 nowadays. I dont want to be hungry :( The other things I'm trying to do is be consistent with lifting weights 3x a week, getting 6-7k steps a day, getting plenty of protein (roughly 30g per meal), making sure I'm staying healthy in general like getting enough sleep, lowering stress, eating nutritious foods etc.

This is how I feel as well. Not disputing that CICO works no matter what age. It's just that in my 20's, hitting my calorie goal consistently didn't feel hard. Now in my 30's (and after 5 kids, I think that may have to do with it too), staying under calorie goal feels like a struggle. And I feel like I have to be extra particular with my food choices in order to not feel hangry the entire day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Good news!
    Life was just generally hard in my 40's and i failed several times to lose weight but everything got far easier in my 50's and that included losing weight down to the same range I had in my 20's.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Good news!
    Life was just generally hard in my 40's and i failed several times to lose weight but everything got far easier in my 50's and that included losing weight down to the same range I had in my 20's.

Oo does that mean in two years my life gets significantly easier? Bring it on! 😂
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    The last couple of comments reinforce and say better what I was trying to say about issues with weight really being issues with life. Its not that we are hungrier for food or that there is something suddenly wrong with our bodies when we hit 40 or 50. We are hungrier for time and space and happiness for ourselves (or insert what else is missing in your life) and we eat more - maybe even just a few hundred calories more to soothe ourselves (or we drink a few glasses of wine) because we aren’t really paying attention to ourselves anymore - that quickly adds up to 20 + lbs a year.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Good news!

Oo does that mean in two years my life gets significantly easier? Bring it on! 😂

@claireychn074

Could be!
    And then I retired at 57 and entered my second childhood.