Crispy chickpeas - help needed!

claireychn074
claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
Okay how do you guys get your chickpeas crispy? I’ve tried a few recipes to bake them in the oven, with coatings and without, and I can either get them burnt (which I guess is crispy, but just not tasty) or soggy. I’ve had them in cafes and I love them but I cannot get them right at home.

Any recipes and cooking advice?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    My wife makes them in the air-fryer. She uses this recipe I believe...

https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/crispy-air-fryer-chickpeas/
  • claireychn074
    Should have said - I don’t have an air fryer! I’ll have a look at the recipe though 👍
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Should have said - I don’t have an air fryer! I’ll have a look at the recipe though 👍

She could never get them right in the oven. We just bought an air-fryer a couple of weeks ago...I was pretty skeptical, but it's actually been a really awesome appliance. "Fish fry" and chicken thighs rock on that thing. Did a bunch of green beans in it last night with our steak and they came out awesome and way faster than oven roasting.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    I made some in the oven that came out OK. It's been a while, but I think it was this recipe:

https://www.theleangreenbean.com/how-to-roast-chickpeas/

They weren't crispy to the point of dry like the commercial ones, but they were definitely crispy and not burned.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    I made some in the oven that came out OK. It's been a while, but I think it was this recipe:

https://www.theleangreenbean.com/how-to-roast-chickpeas/

They weren't crispy to the point of dry like the commercial ones, but they were definitely crispy and not burned.
  • Susanna527
    Susanna527 Posts: 1,546 Member
    I could never get them quite right in the oven - best luck I had was with an air-fryer, which I wound up giving away. I've been thinking of attempting them again and think this time I will start off with a sheet pan that's been put into the oven to get hot first and definitely coat the chickpeas with a tiny bit of oil to help get them crispy. Good luck!
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 206 Member
    edited May 2022
    If you have access to an Indian grocery store you could ask if they have ready made roasted chickpeas. I purchase these ones and they can be tossed with a dash of oil and various seasonings and quickly heated without all the hassle of cooking the tinned ones:
    https://floraindiangroceries.com.au/products/maharajas-choice-roasted-chickpeas-with-skin-salted-500g
    These are a super overpriced online example but I buy them at my local Indian grocery for not very much.
    They taste a bit like peanuts and are also good scattered on salads as is.
  • claireychn074
    perryc05 wrote: »
    If you have access to an Indian grocery store you could ask if they have ready made roasted chickpeas. I purchase these ones and they can be tossed with a dash of oil and various seasonings and quickly heated without all the hassle of cooking the tinned ones:
    https://floraindiangroceries.com.au/products/maharajas-choice-roasted-chickpeas-with-skin-salted-500g
    These are a super overpriced online example but I buy them at my local Indian grocery for not very much.
    They taste a bit like peanuts and are also good scattered on salads as is.

That sounds fabulous but sadly I live in a semi-rural area in England. The most exotic food store I have is a co-op which sells milk, bread and Haribo 🤣 I’ll have a look online though - good idea so thanks!
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    I spray them with oil. Add salt and cumin and maybe onion powder. Shake them every five-ten minutes. Hot oven. Baking sheet.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    Whether I use the air fryer or the oven, I've found the chickpeas need to be really, really dry outside before tossing in some oil and seasonings. I drain and rinse the chickpeas and then lay them in a single layer on a clean kitchen towel and walk away. From time to time, I place a paper towel over the top of them and roll them around with the palm of my hand. It's one of those things where I lay out the chickpeas in the middle of the afternoon and do the roasting when I start putting dinner together.
  • royekd
    royekd Posts: 6 Member
    Try rubbing them in a dish towel to remove the exterior "skin" on the beans before cooking. It really helps them get crisp.
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    Yeah, the times I've had success in the oven has been when I've bothered to dry them properly first. Otherwise they steam.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Whether I use the air fryer or the oven, I've found the chickpeas need to be really, really dry outside before tossing in some oil and seasonings. I drain and rinse the chickpeas and then lay them in a single layer on a clean kitchen towel and walk away. From time to time, I place a paper towel over the top of them and roll them around with the palm of my hand. It's one of those things where I lay out the chickpeas in the middle of the afternoon and do the roasting when I start putting dinner together.

I was coming here to suggest the same thing! Dry them with a paper towel then lay out to dry for several hours. Makes a big difference
  • forestdweller46
    forestdweller46 Posts: 28 Member
    You guys ROCK!!
    Today I tried for the 1st time to make crispy chickpeas and did EVERYTHING wrong. Not really drying them, heating them in a little oil with Garam Masala in a cast iron skillet on the stove...Well, I had some really tasty Indian flavored warm chickpeas for my salad. Nice, but not hitting the target.
    Will follow @Xellercin 's instructions tomorrow. Thanks !!