Sleep deprivation

Any idea what do to do in regards to weight loss If you cannot sleep properly and have to be awake all night?

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Not trying to be dense, but what do you mean by, "what to do"? Are you asking about changes in calorie consumption or...?

Are you talking about losing one night of sleep (or once in awhile), or days on end without sleep?
  • KL1887
    KL1887 Posts: 114 Member
    I have a learning disabled child and have to effectively be alert and on guard throughout the night in case my child causes harm to themselves or siblings. I often have broken sleep and typically nap for the early part of the daytime hours when my husband takes over and does the morning school run and early day tasks.

Finding something else to do with your time than snacking to keep yourself awake is a good start. It’s often not feasible to start exercising if you’re in a situation where others are trying to sleep around you.

Due to a serious medical condition I’m a diet only person. I’ve both lost weight and kept it off so it is feasible
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Do the best you can with sleep quality/quantity? Perhaps add a meditation practice if you can fit it in?

I'm not sure what your situation is from the vague question.

I have pretty significant sleep interruption insomnia, and have had for 20+ years. I guess I'm used to it? I keep trying to improve the situation, though.

I didn't perceive that it had any particular insurmountable effect on weight loss or maintenance. Appetite can be sharper and discipline weaker when less rested, but that hasn't been a deal breaker for weight management.