Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited May 2022
    Thanks mfp for deleting my previous attempt at a post!

Glad the cat dragged in something that still alive Atki 😘 especially since you're heading in the correct trajectory. And hopefully you'll soon kick some lupine *kitten* and feel better.

Yooly? I thought you were a nice person and my friend! 🙀
    Over here in these parts, independently living officially ends when you can't get your ***kitten*** off the toilet seat by yourself. It's not as if my parental needs extra encouragement to overeat! What he needs encouragement is to get up on the sidewalk while waiting for the light to change!🤯

Apparently, however, I must comparatively increase my accomplishments approximately 1,000 fold to approach his before I am allowed to point out that traditionally people don't occupy one of three lanes of traffic while waiting for The pedestrian light to change...
  • PAV8888
    Yes, I did try to point out that I was scared and lonely and needed some personal hand holding hence my invitation to join me on the sidewalk and no it had nothing to do with him not getting run over. It still didn't fly! 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,813 Member
    Dad isn’t that much older than me. So he needs to get his **kitten** together. Or he just enjoys aggravating you. There are no winners either way.

Had an interesting food for lunch today. Goetta. It’s a thing in Cincinnati and probably other German/Dutch areas. It’s a loaf made of cooked ground meat and oats. Plenty of seasonings. It sets in loaf pan overnight, then sliced and browned. No oil in browning as that causes it to break up. It’s related to scrapple and the same idea as boudin and kishka. Hubby decided to make it after hearing about it on vacation in Ohio.
    dgtaqprnzu1h.jpeg
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2022
    That's a lot of meaty oatmeal! I seem to recall that I made some dog food for my previous dog 😹 which was one part lean beef, I believe it was a 5 lb package, one part oatmeal for a total of 10 lb, 1l (1kg) of egg whites, 300 g of eggs.... This is going from memory. I did try some in meatloaf format but due to lack of seasoning I can't say I was impressed

However as far as I recall the dog was happy 😹😎

I'll have to check the recipes to see if there's any similarity!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    Veggie poutine tonight! Thawed some leftover over Thanksgiving gravy...baked some potato wedges...picked up some surprisingly good cheese curds at No Frills ... extremely satisfying, pretty tasty, and not horrific on the calorie front (the sodium though is another story completely). The east coast bound kids are busy clearing out their house, getting it ready to sell. So The Boy was here for the weekend, and we all got together for dinner. They are both trained chefs - she a red seal - so their nod of approval and everything being completely finished was a nice moment :)

13 Falafel!!!! 6 even...lol But they are sooooo good!

Atki - sounds pretty nasty - but somehow you are pulling it off.

Yooly - I'm happy for my extra inches. It does open up the calorie allotment nicely!

Your dinner sounds just like what I'm going to have tomorrow, PAV.

Dante - that looks delicious. The tsalafouti looks amazing on top! Does it taste somewhere in the realm of ricotta?
  • Yoolypr
    PAV8888 wrote: »

However as far as I recall the dog was happy 😹😎
    I'll have to check the recipes to see if there's any similarity!

Don’t doubt dog would love it! There are no eggs in goetta however. Spices tend to the middle eastern. Lots of German and Lebanese cross over recipes in Cincinnati. Like scrapple, the purpose was to make meat go further in hard times. It’s actually more of a breakfast food to be served with eggs.

Or served to an adventurous dog? Anyway it was quite tasty.
  • lauriekallis
    Doesn't sound boring at all, Alexandra - and you still being a little high, honest, brought tears to my eyes. You work so hard to take care of everyone. Makes me happy to that your dinosaur fangirl self had such a great moment!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    They are doing five nights in a row of this. FIVE NIGHTS. OMG. And it's all based on good science and sensible scientific imagination, which is just blissful to me. Tonight, a swimming T. rex. A mosasaur fight! I remember reading the paper the mosasaur fight was based on. (Yes, this is what I'm doing while things are cooking; reading papers on paleontology and history and geology and biology and medicine. And a heap of Golden Age mysteries.)

And on that note, I'm headed off to bath and bed. It's a little early, but I'm coming down from the high and am getting sleepy, and sleepy is not solved with food, it's solved with going the heck to bed.
  • lauriekallis
    Smart cookie, Alexandra. I know that rule of thumb - but here I am eating pizza because I'm tired. :s
  • lauriekallis
    Very strange - I see now that I missed a bunch of posts here....???? They weren't here! Now they are.
  • PAV8888
    That's why it's called mfpeeeeeeeeee
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member

Dante - that looks delicious. The tsalafouti looks amazing on top! Does it taste somewhere in the realm of ricotta?

It's a little saltier, but close in texture. Like katiki, tsalafouti is a soft cheese with low fat content made from pasteurised milk that curdles without rennet and then is drained in bags made of cloth.

Very tasty, and with 12% fat or so pretty healthy too!

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    So I am still obsessed with my hibachi rice bowls. Made them again last night and will have leftovers tonight (getting my hair cut and colored after work). I did chicken breast, shrimp, sweet carrots, lions mane mushrooms (which were amazing in the teriyaki sauce), and onions over rice. Then put way too much yum yum sauce on top.

Also on the plan this week:
    Kodiak pancakes, scrambled eggs, and chicken sausage
    Chicken reubens, corn on the cob, and baked beans

Working on my plan for next week as well. I can already tell that I'm not feeling nearly as restricted.
  • Yoolypr
    Athijade wrote: »
    Working on my plan for next week as well. I can already tell that I'm not feeling nearly as restricted.

While calorie counting may not be as restrictive, the key is portion control. Nothing you want is off the table as long as you weigh/measure the servings and keep it within your calorie allotment.

Tonight I’m not feeling well for some reason? So I’ll probably have some cereal and yogurt rather than a more balanced meal. I’ll do better tomorrow.
  • lauriekallis
    Hope the feeling of unwellness passes quickly, Yooly
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Tonight was pepper steak with rice (2 ounces of cooked rice by weight is my portion) and they got egg rolls with dipping sauce and crab rangoon as well. It was very tasty.
  • Yoolypr
    edited May 2022
    Big salad for dinner tonight. Have to hunt down 4 oz. of protein. Egg? Cheese? Beans?
    Trying to keep calories low a few days.

Friday we’re going to the annual Greek festival where all the tasty foods must be sampled. Saturday is dinner out with friends at Italian restaurant. So I need a couple buffer days just in case caution is thrown to the winds.
  • lauriekallis
    I'm having the same for supper. I'm going to boil up some lentils and see how they work in a salad....something different!
  • lauriekallis
    The lentils worked really nicely as a salad protein. Made enough to add to salad the rest of the week.