Growing vegetables

Hey, I'm looking for friends who like to garden and grow their own food. I've recently started growing my own veggies and would love some like minded people I can bore about it 🤣 I'm also a novice so it would be good to have people I could ask for advice. I also want to get some chickens but am in 2 minds about it. Worried about the noise they may make as I have a*shole neighbours and I've heard they also ruin your lawn...? Anyways, send me a request all you green fingered people ❤️😊

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    Here's a really good (long! full of info and pictures!) thread about gardens:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10708195/garden-thread/p1
  • DiscoveringLisa
    DiscoveringLisa Posts: 112 Member
    Here's a really good (long! full of info and pictures!) thread about gardens:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10708195/garden-thread/p1

Thanks ☺️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I love the thread linked above, but for info specific to my area I go to my wonderful local FaceBook gardening group.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2022
    Hey, I'm looking for friends who like to garden and grow their own food. I've recently started growing my own veggies and would love some like minded people I can bore about it 🤣 I'm also a novice so it would be good to have people I could ask for advice. I also want to get some chickens but am in 2 minds about it. Worried about the noise they may make as I have a*shole neighbours and I've heard they also ruin your lawn...? Anyways, send me a request all you green fingered people ❤️😊

Chickens are fun...they don't make that much noise unless you have an annoying rooster. Hens can be chatty, but at their loudest they are the equivalent of decibel level of human conversation. Can't comment on the lawn...I live in New Mexico and I haven't had a lawn in about 30 years. They're generally pretty quiet during the day and chattier in the morning or right after laying an egg.

Can't help with the vegetables...we have an herb garden, but growing vegetables in our climate is pretty difficult as soil tends to be either sandy or granite rock underneath a shallow soil bed as well as the sun and heat and lack of water.
  • DiscoveringLisa
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Chickens are fun...they don't make that much noise unless you have an annoying rooster. Hens can be chatty, but at their loudest they are the equivalent of decibel level of human conversation. Can't comment on the lawn...I live in New Mexico and I haven't had a lawn in about 30 years. They're generally pretty quiet during the day and chattier in the morning or right after laying an egg.

Can't help with the vegetables...we have an herb garden, but growing vegetables in our climate is pretty difficult as soil tends to be either sandy or granite rock underneath a shallow soil bed as well as the sun and heat and lack of water.

Thank you ☺️ I may just start with a couple and see how I get on. If they start tearing up the place I'll know not to get any more 😂
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I want chickens too but I live in a suburban neighborhood and I'm afraid they will annoy the neighbors lol. We hope to be able to move into the country at some point and then I will definitely get chickens
  • DiscoveringLisa
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I want chickens too but I live in a suburban neighborhood and I'm afraid they will annoy the neighbors lol. We hope to be able to move into the country at some point and then I will definitely get chickens

That's what I'm worried about. I wish I could move to the country, that's my dream ☺️
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    I like the idea of chickens, but know the reality is not for me. I depend on my garden for much of my food. With a large freezer and huge larder, I keep enough of my harvest to take me all the way to the next harvest. Just this month, I finished off last year's green beans and I still have tomatoes and peppers that will likely overlap this year's new crop.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

To add to this, check your local regulations. Many places do not allow it. In my area, they are allowed anywhere in Albuquerque, but Rio Rancho (considered to be in the greater metro area) does not allow you to keep chickens. I live in a rural village that bumps up to ABQ and Rio Rancho. We are zoned for livestock, including chickens and village residents are also required to live on at least an acre of property. We don't keep chickens anymore due to coyotes, but it was fun for awhile and having fresh eggs was great.
  • DiscoveringLisa
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I like the idea of chickens, but know the reality is not for me. I depend on my garden for much of my food. With a large freezer and huge larder, I keep enough of my harvest to take me all the way to the next harvest. Just this month, I finished off last year's green beans and I still have tomatoes and peppers that will likely overlap this year's new crop.

That's something that has me in 2 minds too. I have alot of veggies growing and am wondering what kind of damage chickens would do to them. Probably not practical for me but I do keep wondering. I could keep them in a coop with a run but that seems a bit cruel, I'd prefer them to be able to wander free.
  • DiscoveringLisa

To add to this, check your local regulations. Many places do not allow it. In my area, they are allowed anywhere in Albuquerque, but Rio Rancho (considered to be in the greater metro area) does not allow you to keep chickens. I live in a rural village that bumps up to ABQ and Rio Rancho. We are zoned for livestock, including chickens and village residents are also required to live on at least an acre of property. We don't keep chickens anymore due to coyotes, but it was fun for awhile and having fresh eggs was great.

I don't think we have restrictions on keeping them in the UK. A lot of people in residential properties keep them. I think if you have over 50 you have to register them with some environmental and food agency type thing but other than that there's no issue. It wouldn't stop my neighbours complaining though.
  • DiscoveringLisa

Albuquerque immediately has me thinking of Breaking Bad 😂
  • MsCzar
    I fence my garden with chicken wire and netting. That keeps the critters away, but once in a while I have to un-stick a snake from the netting. 😱
  • DiscoveringLisa
    I fence my garden with chicken wire and netting. That keeps the critters away, but once in a while I have to un-stick a snake from the netting. 😱

I'm battling slugs at the moment, especially around my spinach ugh 😫 And birds have become a pain in the a*s with my new seeds, I've started covering them with nets until they get a bit bigger
  • chrissyinbloom
    chrissyinbloom Posts: 64 Member
    I have started my first vegetable garden this year. Above ground, in fabric pots because our soil is 50% rock and 50% clay! So far, I LOVE the fabric pots! I planted tomatoes, zucchini, sunflowers, and onions. Super excited for zucchini. I love it! And my daughter will eat tomatoes like an apple :)

We also have chickens. The predators are bad this year. Foxes and opossums. We have very few left :( We need to completely enclose their run before we get more! But they are super easy pets. Haven't had a mean one yet. And we get lots of fresh eggs!!! LOVE THEM!
  • DiscoveringLisa
    I have started my first vegetable garden this year. Above ground, in fabric pots because our soil is 50% rock and 50% clay! So far, I LOVE the fabric pots! I planted tomatoes, zucchini, sunflowers, and onions. Super excited for zucchini. I love it! And my daughter will eat tomatoes like an apple :)

We also have chickens. The predators are bad this year. Foxes and opossums. We have very few left :( We need to completely enclose their run before we get more! But they are super easy pets. Haven't had a mean one yet. And we get lots of fresh eggs!!! LOVE THEM!

I have my potatoes in fabric grow bags but I'm hoping to build some raised beds this summer. We have alot of foxes in this area so that would be a concern.
  • DiscoveringLisa

It's so nice to grow veggies with your kids and have them eat fresh from the garden 🙂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member

I'm battling slugs at the moment, especially around my spinach ugh 😫 And birds have become a pain in the a*s with my new seeds, I've started covering them with nets until they get a bit bigger

Beer traps sort of help. (Small container with cheap beer in it, set into the ground to rim level, top with something like a cottage cheese container with cut-out squares in the side as entry ports. (The "roof" keeps rain out, creates the darkness slugs like.) One issue here: The local raccoons considered the beer-marinated drowned slugs quite a tasty treat.

There are other options like "slug collars" around the plants, copper under the plants, etc., etc.
  • DiscoveringLisa
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Beer traps sort of help. (Small container with cheap beer in it, set into the ground to rim level, top with something like a cottage cheese container with cut-out squares in the side as entry ports. (The "roof" keeps rain out, creates the darkness slugs like.) One issue here: The local raccoons considered the beer-marinated drowned slugs quite a tasty treat.

There are other options like "slug collars" around the plants, copper under the plants, etc., etc.

Copper didn't work at all. My slugs are hardcore and just slithered straight over it 🤣🤣 I'll try the beer traps though and I'll make sure it's cheap and nasty or else I'll end up drinking it 😁
  • MsCzar
    I mulch with thick grass clippings. Slugs don't like crossing it.