Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,582 Member
    Nope, I'm not a taster either. I know the best chefs are, but apart from literally tasting once (or at most twice) to test the seasoning, I never nibble when I'm cooking.

Lots of cooks say they don't have an appetite for the food they've cooked by the time they come to serve it...but I never experience that. I have a hearty appetite for food whether I've cooked it myself or not.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    Bites, licks and tastes (BLTs) are in the MFP database! So I can’t be the only one tempted by food prepping and sampling.

I wish it wasn’t a lifelong bad habit but sadly it is. I’m not even all that hungry which might provide an explanation for nibbling. It doesn’t stop me from eating a full meal afterwards. It’s just that it’s FOOD, there right in front of me, begging to be sampled. A trigger to immediately eat. No logical reason.

So I’m constantly on guard when dealing with food prep. Avoidance has worked well thus far. Having hubby in the kitchen with me when I cook on occasion keeps me honest.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    I absolutely used to constantly sample and taste as I was cooking. Constantly. Season, sample, continue.
    Logging totally curbed that.

Actually I should rephrase that. Logging before putting ANYTHING in my mouth totally cured that after a few uncomfortable incidents.

With my current logging (which is partially while cooking using phone and partially from envelopes, napkins and notes) I could have easily gone back... except that I am now used to not tasting till the end at which time I make most adjustments.
  • Yoolypr
    Well the random bites, licks, and tastes have very little to do with seasoning. Honestly it’s just that I’m hands-on dealing with food. I’m okay with a plate/meal that’s logged. But somehow the food eaten while standing, passing by, prepping is not registered in my mind.
    Brain fog!
    I am much more aware of my bad habit now and mostly able to control it. But heaven help me if there’s an open candy bowl or bag of chips laying around. Or odd bits of sliced cheese, ham while making sandwiches. I try to confine myself to salad making where the stray bits are carrots or tomatoes 🍅
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited May 2022
    I'm terrible with "serving plate leftovers" - after a big meal - clearing the table - those odd pieces of cheese - last few crackers - a spoonful of hummus - all go into my mouth before I even think.
  • Yoolypr
    Yes! Thank you Laurie. I was beginning to think it was just me although I know that can’t be true. Stray food of any kind seems fair game. I also avoid cleanups after meals too.

Still trying to understand how I can be in control at the table but oblivious at other times. Like calories don’t count unless I’m sitting down for a meal?

It’s something I struggle with daily.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,582 Member
    edited May 2022
    No, I think it's something many, many people struggle with. There are numerous studies that prove that we don't register calories eaten 'on the hoof' - which is why it's so important to eat your food sitting down, ideally from a plate and with cutlery, because it signals to our brain that we're eating.

I've learned from bitter experience that at parties I graze constantly if there's buffet food available. And if I add alcohol into the mix, I have zero food restraint. I've learned that I need to serve myself one small plate of food and then remove myself entirely from the vicinity of the food, otherwise I'll just pick and pick and pick. I can't remain in the same room as the food - the more walls and doors between me and the food, the better.
  • lauriekallis
    ...There are numerous studies that prove that we don't register calories eaten 'on the hoof'...

Didn't know this was "official" but I know it is how it works in my world. Glad you posted this, Bella, to hopefully cement it into my reality.
  • Yoolypr
    edited May 2022
    Are your coaches or gym friends sharing any thoughts on eating plans? While I went to gym and worked out hard even at my highest weight (310!), it wasn’t until I started measuring and weighing food and logging that I made progress. Having been obese from childhood, learning portion control was truly eye opening.

Weight is lost in the kitchen, fitness is gained in the gym.
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    They haven't and I'm happy for it because I haven't asked. The coach only wanted to make sure I wasn't undereating so I told her I averaged 2500 cals for a 0,5kg per week weight loss pace and that pacified her.
    I'm not looking for advice on losing weight or logging or food. And I'm not going to the gym to lose weight. My weight loss journey was sparked by my increased activity level but that was accidental and I started logging food so as not to lose weight too fast.
    I've been overweight since childhood and got to my current weight with an active lifestyle but portion control was never the problem. Stress and boredom were. I worked hard to get those dealt with a few years ago but then covid hit and my activity level dropped to sedentary for a year and a half so I gained some weight while I taught myself to eat more fruit. Now my natural way of eating leads to weight loss, I got rid of the extra pandemic weight, and I am thriving, both fitness wise and weight loss wise.
  • lauriekallis
    Very interesting read, Bojaantje. I haven't been in a gym for a very long time. Your post has definitely piqued my interest though!
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    I've had great luck with the communities at the gyms and sports clubs I've been a member of, they've always been a main place I make friends. But I know not every place is like that.
    One of the first times I trained here someone made a comment like "you're not going heavier than that? Really?" to another guy who was exercising and it rubbed me the wrong way. Never seen that person again. The owner of our gym is very strict about making it a safe space where you can be yourself (not just for overweight people but also for women and lgbtq+ people and I would assume people of colour too but I can't speak to that from personal experience) and can talk about behaviour that bothers you, even if it's a coach saying something insensitive. My relationship with the pilates coach greatly improved and the presence of me and another fat woman really changed her perspective it seems. It's just a place for growth (and optional shrinkage of body) and that's really nice.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Bojaantje, it sure sounds as if you're on a good point in this endeavor. Both the fact that you enjoy the gym and that you have a very reasonable sounding eating target and rate of loss goal by the look of things! Woohoo!
  • Yoolypr
    Here’s a quote for those of us who have been around a while-

“The older I get, the better I was”
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Here’s a quote for those of us who have been around a while-

“The older I get, the better I was”

There's nothing like a saying that rings so true! B)
  • Yoolypr
    0uh9dtfhio6m.jpeg
  • lauriekallis
    Absolutely.
    But, we are all lucky enough to get a little (big!) help from our friends.
  • Yoolypr
    edited June 2022
    For sure! I feel a lot of support here. ❣️ In my rational daytime life I rely on the friendly motivation.

When PAV is snarfing down chocolate pies in the middle of the night or when I think I need ice cream at bedtime, it just comes down to yourself and the spoon.