Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Lost 90lbs, 120lbs, then 150lbs....now fatter than ever! Is there really hope for those over 400lbs?

ChefMader
ChefMader Posts: 5 Member
I've lost 90lbs, 120lbs, then 150lbs (+many +/- 30lbs, 40lbs) - all with diet and exercise over the years. (I'm 48 years old). Now I'm fatter than I've ever been in my life.

Now I'm pushing 50 years old, and just recently diagnosed with heart ischemia. Ive been back at it, knowing this might be my very last attempt and I have to succeed over the long-term bcuz my life depends on it.

I'm doing the KETO diet because I've never tried it before and I heard it helps with hunger - and I lost about 5lbs the first week. Then...my weight is stalling already....and creeping up a pound even though I'm not cheating on it.

I watch my 600lb life and can identify with those people. I'm always always hungry. There is never a time I"m not hungry - even just after eating. I wonder if some people are just physiologically Buildt different.

THE DEBATE:
Is there really hope for long-term weight loss for those of us over 400lbs without weight loss surgery? No matter how many times I do it, I always gain it back and then a little more.

Replies

• DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    I just hit 50 pounds today. Yeah baby!!!

Outstanding!
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited May 2022
    Can you lose weight when you're very heavy? Unfortunately the odds are not in your favour. This link gives real world data on who is losing weight https://www.healthline.com/health-news/obese-people-have-slim-chance-of-obtaining-normal-body-weight-071615#A-Call-for-a-Better-Weight-Loss-Approach

I see this not so much as a weight loss problem but rather a "I have a major problem in my life, can I fix it?" type of issue. Typically, the answer is "only if you want to fix it hard enough".

There are lots of little things you can do which can reduce food's effect on you. Here's 3 I can think of but there's 30 or so:
    Stop eating sugary food

There are at least 8 (I made a list a while back) types of hunger signals, when you are feeling hungry, try to identify which of those 8 you are feeling - for example there's a difference between appetite and hunger. Eat a meal and walk into a supermarket, you're probably feeling appetite signals rather than hunger.

When at home, make food unavailable visually. This is one of my issues. If I see food, I often want to eat it. Not visible? I don't want to eat it.
  • jcu888
    jcu888 Posts: 5 Member
    I know how you feel. Been there, done that. Lost plenty weight on a diet then went back to eating "normally"

Like me, I think that you need a program to change your way of life, rather than serial dieting. I am currently 30 pounds down using Noom and I can honestly say for the first time in my life I understand why I have failed to maintain weight loss in the past. This time the weight will stay off when I reach target. I understand that I will have to keep monitoring AFTER I reach my goal weight. I now understand that my "normal" way of eating was the problem and I have to put it behind me permanently.

Noom is not just a diet, it is a psychology program to understand why you eat in the way that you do and how to change it.

Even before I reach my goal, I am planning a maintenance program to keep it off!
  • plattef71
    plattef71 Posts: 34 Member
    Of course there is hope but you have to change the way you think about it. I am just like you with the loss. I lose then gain it back with a few more and then look at it as a chore to have to get it back down again.
    I met a woman who honestly changed my perspective about literally everything I was doing in my life. She taught me breathing techniques, how to meditate MY way no matter where I was and to practice self love and self care. I'm here again for probably the 5th time in the last ten years after using surgery on my Achilles as an excuse to just stop trying. I finally did reach out for help from a weight loss clinic.
    With your heart issues you will not be a candidate for things like phentermine (frankly I said no anyway) and trying something new called glp-1.

Really it is about finding what works for you and making the commitment to do better for yourself. It's so much easier to give up but I can tell by your post it's not what you want. Go in with the right perspective and you will come out with the result. Just don't give up or make excuses for your poor choices. Own it.
  • willynn
    willynn Posts: 1 Member
    I come from a family with weight issues. My 3 sisters all weighed over 300 lbs. My 4 brothers struggle(d) with weight, but not to that extent and several of their children have weight issues. I have weighed as much as 187 and have to be very vigilant to keep from gaining weight. One thing I have noticed in my sisters is "mindless eating". They will sit in conversation and just mindlessly eat whatever is in front of them. Awareness is so important. Analyze your eating habits. What can you do differently? Are you drinking enough water? You need to know what you are doing, to make changes that will benefit you.
    We all (my family) seem to be very carb sensitive. The only way I can stay at a proper weight is to severely limit starchy carbs. They just seem to make me hungrier.
    As others have said, with a substantial amount of weight to lose, just start becoming aware of hunger vs desire. If you graze all day, start by eating set meals and snacks. Every time you eat, your insulin levels increase and your body burns the food for energy rather than stored fat. Eventually, start eliminating snacks and go to 3 meals a day, and further on consider going to 2 meals a day. I do intermittent fasting eating my 1st meal around 11 AM and second meal finished by 7PM, trying not to eat in between. This is what works for me.
    As for what to eat, for anyone carb sensitive, you have to cut back on those starchy carbs right out of the gate. Eliminate sweets completely. (It gets easier after a few days!) Down the road you may be able to eat some low sugar fruits like raspberries, blackberries, but for now they'll trigger hunger.
    And most importantly check with your doctor. Possibly your GYN, especially if she is a woman. They seem to be more sympathetic to our weight issues in general.
    Don't think of it as a diet. Something you are on and will someday be "off". Best of luck to you!