Less Alcohol ~ MAY 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Replies

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,582 Member
    @lmlmrn sorry to hear your cabinet guy hurt himself and is now out! Do you have a backup or someone he could sub it out to?

Very inspiring, your post. I’m all proud of myself for not reaching for that extra 1/2 to 1 glass of wine beyond my planned one glass, but now I have to start weaning myself off having a drink every night. I really want to get back to AF during the week, but I kind of also hate the thought of not having that nice glass of wine waiting for me! So torn! But, my weight will go down if I cut back, so there is that.

Wine night at work, and a co-worker is leaving so we also had mimosas in the morning with some yummy bagels and lox. Nothing like brunch during the workday!!!
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    Checking in!

@lmlmrn so sorry to hear about your cabinet guy. Getting anyone to the house these days to perform work is INSANE. Or even to get them to call you back with a simple yes or no.

I have now over lapped and have THREE plumbers 🪠🚽🚿scheduled to come. May the best man win who shows up first and gets the golden Willy Wonka ticket. I even promised the one plumber to make his favorite meal to take home! Desperate times folks.

So at dinner time last night at home I decided I wanted to have a glass of bubbles(prosseco)
    Veal parm was delish. Stated to sio the prosseco WHICH I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED...and I just was not feeling it. Had 3 or 4 sips and dumped the rest down the drain.

So with that I am for May accountability:

3 A days( four standard drinks)
    23 AF days

BONUS husband and I have now finally reached clearing out OVER
    1/2 of our possessions that we owned

The items you never knew you did not need until it came to getting rid of things.

#downsizing
    #minimalistlife
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited May 2022
    @MissMay wow. Great job downsizing. I tip my hat to you. I know I need to start now, but it's hard to know where to start with other people's stuff. Still laughing about @Lilylady3k being the safe-keeper of the boy scout vest that belonged to her BIL, was it? Sheesh.

@lmlmrn bummer about the cabinet guy. Fewer people going into trades (so the tradesmen tell me) and they are getting old. My landscapper (who I LOVED) had retirement come faster than expected when his partner was badly injured. :# You said DH was in the wood finishes business? Does he know people who know people?

Cabinet story: I forever wanted new cabinets at my lake cabana. Water intrusion and a new roof was the tipping point for a bunch of updating. (Adios ugly popcorn ceiling!) Had 3 guys come out to bid cabinets. It's 8 linear feet of cabinets. I like how they function so I just wanted new doors. Bids ranged $3-10k, and none of them were exactly what I wanted. After thinking about it a long time, I decided I could maybe do this myself. DH said that was a terrible idea. I had to agree with him on all his points, but I presented it as a $300 hedge against a $3-10k investment. It took me all summer and they actually turned out great :D It was a gamble because I had never done anything like that and had to learn a lot about hinges.

Not suggesting you want to do it yourself, but if you like how the existing cabinets function (and their placement), changing the fronts can create a new look with less construction. I augmented the cabinet frames to go from inset doors with old style gothic hinges to overlay minimal reveal. Anywhoo... hope you find the solution you love.

Happy Friday. This was my first week all month AF M-Th :o
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,511 Member
    Are you ready for Memorial Day weekend? I've been dieting all week and feeling HUNGRY!

Menu:

BBQ Pork Spare Ribs
    Corn on the Cob, grilled of course
    Macaroni Salad made with quinoa pasta
    Asparagus, grilled of course
    Bing cherries

and Mocktails of course!
  • globalhiker
    Mocktail ideas for the weekend: https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/drinks/how-to/g785/best-mocktail-recipes/

Leaning towards the watermelon one (they are on sale now for $1 ea!)

Enjoy!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    I am Dawn.

I am drinking less to lose weight. Diet and exercise were not budging the scale for me until November 2018 when I began to drink less. Drinking derails weight loss.

I hit 19AF days for April.
    Sticking with my goal of 16-20 AF days per month for May
    Diary style.

Wednesday May 25 - 2 drinks. Happy productive day. I enjoyed my couple of drinks. Planned AF for Thursday, not so sure about Friday and Saturday yet. I do plan to get my 16AF or more.
    Thursday May 26 - AF - I definitely felt like having drinks!

Rolling total: 15AF out of 26 days.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    edited May 2022
    I went to emerg/Urgent care right after work Thursday.
    Wednesday night while I was digging up the garden a big wind came up and threw dirt into both of my eyes. I got it out of the left eye, but the right eye just felt like it was scraping inside. I can't believe that I continued to serve customers as my eye swelled and hurt so bad. I work alone though.

The doc put dye in my eye and couldn't find any foreign bodies, but said that there was obvious contusion. She flushed it out and then put anesthetic in it. The freezing lasted about a half an hour. She put me on 5 days of antibiotic drops to put in 4 times a day. I started them yesterday, 3 doses. I am not going to go to work today. I did sleep a bit, but when I woke up my eye wouldn't open. There was grit at the corners. So there was stuff still in the eye even though the doc couldn't find it. It looks like metal or glass!!!

My eye booger...

9gs6daxhr4wu.png

Maybe it was imbedded in the upper lid so that the doc couldn't see it and the flush didn't get it out. The antibiotic might have loosened it?

• ahoy_m8
    omg, Dawn, that looks terrible! I hope all the foreign bodies are out and things feel better soon!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Planning an indulgent night.

I didn't go to work today. I have never had a sick day in all of my working life!!

Tucking into the St. Louis Blues/Colorado Avalanche crucial play-off game.

So great that my sewed shut eye opened up over the day. The antibiotic drops I feel are really helping, plus warm compresses as suggested. The grit this morning that I scooped out I really feel was what was continuing to abrade my eye. I would have gone to work, but my boss said that she would cover my shift. I had some Foster Grant jobs to do, same result there, take it easy and heal.

Lol, will I have to wear my ski goggles in the yard??
    It was very windy today and I was feeling paranoid about my delicate eye with the dust swirling about.
    Took it easy and did some extra indoor workouts for my planned Ribs binge.

Totally planning on digging the 3-6X3 beds for peppers and tomatoes and onions over the next two days, and planting. I will turn everything and add in extra stuff. The tomato garden is just 2 feet, the 2 pepper/onion gardens are 3 feet deep.
    Time to cut the grass again too, but priorities priorities.
    I will watch at least one of the periods from my tub with my smokes and a drink : - )

I have been chided by a few people to leave the dandelions for the bees.
    I have been overseeding my yards for years to avoid dandelions, but the neighbours (rental properties) have gazillions of them that blow into my yard. So, I have some.
    I heard a great radio program about all of the anti-inflammatory properties. Maybe tomorrow I will cut a bunch and make a tincture or a tea. Leaves, stems, flowers...all good. Might as well get some before they turn to white and seeds which the bees aren't interested in.
    Of course I need the bees. Gosh.

This batch looks good. I remember a lady that I knew 40 years ago who always put the stems into a salad or sauteed them. Hmm. (lightbulb moment)

pkahg62n760q.png

Considering that I was away all last weekend and then chomped out my crown Monday night while chewing gum requiring it to be cemented back in on Tuesday, and then the dirt in my eyes Wednesday night, visit to Urgent care on Thursday and weird foil/glass/silica sand dust getting lodged....I am feeling okay about losing a day's pay today. After all, our holiday in Canada was Monday so I got extra pay. (Queen Victoria Day?)

Even though I didn't accomplish a whole lot today, it was lovely to just lightly putter around, clean a few things etc.

I will take photos when I plant my peppers and tomatoes : - )

Garlic is up sooooo beautifully!!

54ht1qsfpo99.png

And peas are looking healthy : - )

esjz5dg0ca6g.png

Strawberry bed is in flower:

jgb520dsto9o.png

And bearded Irises are popping...

fb3mo4gm9b30.png

Life is good even though I had a weird week.
  • ahoy_m8
    Wow. It looks SO GREAT. Thanks for the photos. How long is your garlic harvest and how long do they keep after harvest? I tried once and they didn't take. But I do have jalapenos ready to eat now. They were last years plants! I also have lots of basil that overwintered.

Eye pain is among the worst body pains, I think. So many nerves and we rely so much on vision. When I have had a scratch, it feels like there is debris in there. The antibiotic drops I have had also contained an analgesic that really helped a lot. You are smart to take it easy. It seems like waitressing would be a dangerous job if your vision/balance were off. Take care!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Thanks @ahoy_m8 for the sympathy : - )
    My Foster Grant jobs require looking at a lot of tiny little numbers. Waitressing not so much.
    I was just paranoid to go anywhere yesterday, especially my garden with all of that wind.
    No wind today so far, so I will get lots done out there : - )
  • dawnbgethealthy
    I am Dawn.

I am drinking less to lose weight. Diet and exercise were not budging the scale for me until November 2018 when I began to drink less. Drinking derails weight loss.

I hit 19AF days for April.
    Sticking with my goal of 16-20 AF days per month for May
    Diary style.

Wednesday May 25 - 2 drinks. Happy productive day. I enjoyed my couple of drinks. Planned AF for Thursday, not so sure about Friday and Saturday yet. I do plan to get my 16AF or more.
    Thursday May 26 - AF - I definitely felt like having drinks!
    Friday May 27 - AF - Not sure about Saturday yet, but definitely planning AF for Sunday.

Rolling total: 15AF out of 27 days.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 777 Member
    @dawnbgethealthy 1. ouch on the eye girl....please let it heal 2. Your garden is coming right along. 3. you know they make wine out of dandelions right?

@ahoy_m8 To answer the question can the cabinets be saved with a coat of paint and some imagination? Simply put no. The design/layout was poor when we bought the house. I have two corners of death. You know the places the cabinets are so far back that you lose things? Never to be seen again. I literally have to get on my hands and knees, we took the door off and with a flashlight put my head inside to see. the door is really narrow and goes back way too deep. Ok that was a bit of TMI. sorry

I can't believe I drank 2 glasses of wine and enjoyed them last night. I have not had any wine in almost a year I liked. So today with family coming over I went and bought two bottles. It is just a cheap crisp white wine, sauvignon blanc but the flavor was refreshing. We need something light to go with the heavy meal of ham, mashed potato, gravy and a cucumber salad. Desert oops forgot about it so I am going to break out a bag of chocolate mint girl scout pretzel from Costco.

@MissMay I did some brain storming with myself this am on where to find a new cabinet install guy and plumber. (I was so excited about my plumber guy but he has not returned a single phone call or text on dates to start or even what he plans to charge. SO plumber guy did give me a lead on where they buy the bathroom fixture stuff....I am going to go there on Tuesday and find me a plumber hahaha
  • globalhiker
    I am trying super hard to have a "mocktail" day on a holiday weekend, bought all the stuff. Then I went to check the lazy susan and my not-so-cheap agave nectar is gone. Found my husband in the backyard working on something and he tells me he threw it out because he "didn't think we use it". In fact, a lot of things are disappearing around here lately.....

@MissMay, since I live with the anti-hoarder, I guess I don't have the problem of having too much stuff. It magically goes to Goodwill each month or gets thrown out at random (without my consultation..!).

@dawnbgethealthy hope your eye heals soon! Once we arrive in Canada and check in, if our condo does in fact have a "decent" grill, we can grill what looks good at the supermarket. All we do is grill:). Keep an eye out for us for ribs on sale or any good Alberta steaks. I see a BBQ in our future.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,582 Member
    @dawnbgethealthy ouchie on the “foreign object in eye”. That sounds properly miserable. Glad you’re on the mend though!

@MissMay I LOVE getting rid of stuff! I grew up in a house stuffed full of tchotchkes so I don’t have a lot of excess things in my own home. However, I know what I have so when I do a clean out I can zero in on the things earmarked to go.

Ugh had 3 glasses of wine yesterday, and of course my weight is up. I was good with moderation all week and blew it yesterday. Well, time to regroup and start over. Need a clean slate for June!
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 777 Member
    So yesterday with the family dinner I had several glasses of wine but this was over the course of 10 hours so no harm to the sleep pattern last night.

So I thought I would get on the scale just to see what an impact yesterday had on me. lol....my scale died. It's a sign it was working on Tuesday. Sheesh had a few glasses of wine and now it is pouting.