What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    run day
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    I am still sore from murph on monday. Yesterday I had a work thing all day so it was supposed to be a rest day but we walked all over this quaint little town for about 2,5 hours total.

Today we did a 15 minute amrap (as many reps as possible) of
    5 deadlifts at 70% of your 1RM
    10 hand stand push ups
    9 calories on the ski machine for women.

I always scale handstand push ups because I am not even attempting a handstand until I lose 60 lbs more/another 28kg. But since I was sore I scaled it way down to seated db presses with 7,5kg DBs. Normally I use 10s and have been looking to go up to 12,5kg but not today. But that's the only thing I scaled! I did the deadlifts at 70% and it was HEAVY. This is not a strength workout, this is cardio with a ton of resistance, and that makes the 70% feel like 90%.

Anyway, I did 6 full rounds + 3 deadlifts.

The best thing was that the trainer who taught us today is someone I haven't seen in a few weeks and he commented on how much I'd improved in my movements because to him it was super visible.

Now straight to bed.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    My only workout today was taking out brush and dead weeds/growth that is within around 10 feet of my backyard on the backside. We live up a mountain ridge. Being where I live, you want to at all times be aware of a "defensible space" around the perimeter of your house in the event of a fast moving wildfire.

Wildfire season is here in Tucson. I live far enough away from the city and high enough on a mountain ridge to be always concerned. Though they are really good about stopping fires before they get out control, the lack of rain this year coupled with high winds and record rain last year (lots of dried kindling on the ground right now) makes me a bit nervous.

They also sell this fire stop ground cover that I'm considering as well to the perimeter of my house.

Weeding and cutting, bagging sticker bushes and brittlebush was enough for me today (plus taking out all the invasive grass on the slope behind my house).
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    Back/biceps weights today.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Another row in the quad this morning, the usual 7k-ish again. I was in stroke, and - because of a conversation we'd had just before the row - I was trying to be a good model for getting weight suspended between foot-stretchers (foot plate, in non-rower English) and oar handles, so body weight suspends very slightly above the seat as one pries the boat past the oar-blade. Doing that lets glutes be more engaged/active rather than pinned. This is more work, in the literal sense!

This evening, I went over to help with the first session of this year's two learn to row classes, which will be a 4 evenings/one morning thing each week throughout June. Not a super active night tonight, but a couple hours of walking, boat-carrying, holding onto boats to stabilize them at the dock for beginners to practice getting in/out, etc.

Getting in/out of these skinny, low on the water boats is tricky at first, especially for the folks who've not been as active. Basically, the classic collegiate-rower method is a step onto the deck (tippy), then a one-legged squat to get one's rear in the seat and the first foot into the boat's shoes. Most 30+ adults new to rowing aren't quite able to do this, flexibility, balance or leg-strength wise, so we need to help them find any method that works. Fortunately, grace is optional. (Even I don't do it exactly like the classic collegiate way, and I've been rowing for 20+ years. 🤷‍♀️)

• dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    I found the limit of my elliptical today. Apparently, it won't go beyond 99:99 minutes, at which point it makes you restart the program. :D

Since there will be ice cream madness in my future later today (and because, why not?), I decided to go for a long one today. I did 6 "miles", in mostly Zone 2 (small bit into Zone 3 because I started too fast). The grand total time was just under 2 hours. This is an elliptical record for me. And now, time for a shower and then some hot fudge gluttony..... Happy Summer, everyone!
  • bojaantje3822
    My ankle started acting up a minute into today's workout so in 15 minutes I only did 10 down-ups, 27 box push ups, 18 strict knee raises, 9 manmakers minus the push up part and on my knees, 30 hang power snatches with the empty bar. Then I had an hour long pilates class where I tried my best to listen to my body. Today was a lesson in taking it easy. No idea what caused my ankle pain but I'm not interested in making it worse. My hands are also still completely blistered from yesterday's deadlifts so the knee raises were awful.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    dralicephd wrote: »
    I found the limit of my elliptical today. Apparently, it won't go beyond 99:99 minutes, at which point it makes you restart the program. :D

Since there will be ice cream madness in my future later today (and because, why not?), I decided to go for a long one today. I did 6 "miles", in mostly Zone 2 (small bit into Zone 3 because I started too fast). The grand total time was just under 2 hours. This is an elliptical record for me. And now, time for a shower and then some hot fudge gluttony..... Happy Summer, everyone!

CONGRATS!
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2022
    Just 30 minutes on the rower today at 2:24 pace. 100 degrees at lunch and I have golf tonight so that was enough for me. Luckily, there was a very slight breeze. When it gets over 105, the breeze doesn't help. It's like hell opened up and gulped on you.
  • swimmom_1
    edited June 2022

You did more than me today! I had a 11:00 appointment so I only did 90 minutes for 7.65 miles this AM. 11:45/mile instead of my usual 13:00/mile. I thought I may do another session later today but I didn't. I think I'm not going to keep doing long elliptical sessions. Instead do some weight exercises and get started on situps/pushups to tone up.
  • AnnPT77
    I shilly-shallied around today, so only got in a short bike ride, 10.81 miles at 11.1mph moving average. Next up after that was helping with the learn-to-row class again, not intense, but a couple of hours milling around on foot doing various tasks. It'll have to do!
  • bojaantje3822
    I feel so good right now. My ankle was okay today but the workout was mostly shoulder and arm stuff anyway. We had 15 min to find a heavy double power snatch. 2 or so weeks ago I managed a 40kg snatch when we went for a 1RM but it was fear, not lack of strength, that was holding me back from going heavier. But now that I've done the 30s before I felt no fear attempting double power snatches at 30, 35 and even 37,5kg. That's where I ended because the time was up and there's no way I was doing 40 since this wasn't oly class but a regular wod.

Then we did

30 american kb swings - I did 20kg
    21-15-19
    Kb goblet squats - I did 12kg
    Bb push presses - I did 22,5kg
    30 american kb swings

for time. It took me 11:11, almost the slowest time in the class but I was determined to do kb swings at 20kg so that's all on me. The first set I did 30 unbroken! I'm as proud of and happy with that as I am with the power snatches.
    I broke the 21 goblet squats up into 11 and 10, the 15 into 8 and 7, and the 9 into 5 and 4. I broke the push presses into sets of 5 mostly, with the first set being 6 to make 21 and the last set being to make 9.
    The last 30 kb swings I broke up into 3 sets of 10. Very happy with my progress.
  • dralicephd
    swimmom_1 wrote: »

You did more than me today! I had a 11:00 appointment so I only did 90 minutes for 7.65 miles this AM. 11:45/mile instead of my usual 13:00/mile. I thought I may do another session later today but I didn't. I think I'm not going to keep doing long elliptical sessions. Instead do some weight exercises and get started on situps/pushups to tone up.

I don't plan on making the long sessions a habit either. I'd rather go on a long walk or hike. It just worked out for my plan to eat a bunch yesterday. And it worked, as I only went over my daily calories by 30 despite the giant brownie hot fudge sundae!

I'm impressed with your ability to keep that speed for as long as you do! You are actually running. I'm just walking. Not that I'm complaining about my progress - we all start somewhere. I just find your speeds inspiring. :smiley:
  • AnnPT77
    Nice morning, back in bow of the double for the usual bridge-to-bridge and back circuit of about 7k. Neither super intense nor super technical (kind of chatty, TBH), but there was a bit of wind, which upped the required effort slightly during the parts where it was a headwind.

HR highest during the early upstream piece, which is unusual, but maybe a morning/warmup/wind effect? Dunno. Mostly Z2, but a little Z3/4. Thinking that'll be it, for the exercise day today.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2022
    I skipped the half marathon last month on the rower -- wasn't feeling trained enough to do it and was feeling sick for around 10 days.

This month's workout was 4 X 2K / 4 minutes rest on the rower. I had been (until March) doing this same workout weekly, so I thought I could get through this one.

I did but it was brutal. 2:09 (2:09.4, had to look it up) something average. 94 degree temps didn't help. I was doing this at 2:06.5 with less rest just a couple of months ago, but it was significantly cooler then, so I'm sure that partially played a role. Glad to have that one done. HR hit 95% of max on last interval. Nearly 900 calories burned in an hour.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 wrote: »

I don't plan on making the long sessions a habit either. I'd rather go on a long walk or hike. It just worked out for my plan to eat a bunch yesterday. And it worked, as I only went over my daily calories by 30 despite the giant brownie hot fudge sundae!

I'm impressed with your ability to keep that speed for as long as you do! You are actually running. I'm just walking. Not that I'm complaining about my progress - we all start somewhere. I just find your speeds inspiring. :smiley:

Huh, I don't feel like I'm running. It just feels like a fast walk. Sometimes the last 2 minutes I try to go as fast as I can.
  • dralicephd
    I've been hitting it pretty hard lately with the long elliptical session and quite a bit of heavy yard work. I've been sore so I took a total rest day yesterday. A sloth day, really.. sat around and read all day. :smile:

Anyway, today its time to start again. The kid and I went on another neighborhood walk over the big hill behind us. It took us a little over an hour to do 3.75 miles. It was humid this morning, so we took it easy (mostly HR Zone 2 and below). I'll add some upper body strength training later in the day.
  • swimmom_1
    edited June 2022
    So this AM I did 109.5 minutes for 10 miles. Thats 10:57/mile. Guess I am kind of running on the elliptical @dralicephd .
    2:03 hours mowing grass, a rider.
    And a PM session 114 minutes for 10.05 miles.
    Did 20 "girl" pushups, and 2 planks and just hung for a minute on my son's pull up bar, yesterday and today.
    I looked up running average times for someone in my age bracket.

60-70 female intermediate mile time is 10:23. (I wouldn't have considered myself in intermediate shape yet but guess I'm close by this standard. And mine is an average from the 10 miles. Not a single mile. Guess I'm in better shape than I think.)

61-70 female intermediate for a average time for a Marathon is 5:45.23. I did my Marathon in 5:37.
    This is running times though not on the Elliptical. I don't think I could do these actually running. It would be too much jarring for my old knees, I think.