Went for a walk this morning for the first time in a long time

I took a walk this morning. It's been a while. It was slow and not aerobic. I highly doubt it will produce results. I am gearing to use the treadmill soon. I feel that the treadmill will yield successful results.

Replies

• paulyfred
    paulyfred Posts: 5 Member
    It is a start. Great job.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,301 Member
    Any movement over your previous movement is beneficial to your health. The only thing the treadmill gains you is a constant speed. You can always just bump up your effort level outside and enjoy a little sunshine and vitamin D.

Good job!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,964 Member
    A slow walk absolutely is beneficial!

One walk is not going to "produce results", other than perhaps - as I'll bet you're finding - helping a person feel better in the moment. That's worthwhile, in itself.

But also: Any additional movement in one's life, a "bias toward movement" overall, will have cumulative benefits over time. Slow walking is part of that.

It's a myth that things all have to be intense in order to be beneficial (and I say that as someone with coaching education in my sport). Even amongst elite athletes in cardiovascularly-intensive sports, relatively low intensity exercise (using a definition of "low intensity" relative to their fitness level, not mine!) is going to account for a high percentage of their training time.

For us regular folks just starting out, relatively low intensity should be the foundation, i.e., the entirety of training time, for a while, to build some endurance. Intensity comes in later, building on that foundation.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the treadmill, or with aerobic exercise . . . but I don't think you're right that what you've done lacks benefits. You're taking the first steps, literally, and that's great!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Well--I don't understand your thinking. I walk for 40 min 3 times a week in a park. I vary my speed every 2 min. I also swim, do yoga, stretching, tai chi, and acquagym. It all fits into my total exercise for the week. Non of these exercises is "better" than another, they are all part of the whole. If I find something else that interests me, I add it in and try it.

I would suggest doing what you like the best, so that you keep it up. Moving is the key.
  • lessjess22
    lessjess22 Posts: 21 Member
    Hey there. I just wanted to show my support and encourage you to keep going. A walk is better than 0. I'm really heavy and out of shape and I'm having to start slow myself. A walk or some extra housework or a little yoga or weightlifting is all I can handle right now. I hope to add more as I get more fit. Keep going, every little bit helps!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Any movement over your previous movement is beneficial to your health. The only thing the treadmill gains you is a constant speed. You can always just bump up your effort level outside and enjoy a little sunshine and vitamin D.

Good job!

(pedant) The treadmill also pushes your feet back, helping you overcome some inertia. It helps more at higher speeds, but it is also another important difference from walking on the ground. (/pedant)

Anyway OP, any movement is better than no movement! Walking is an endurance sport, you have to start where you are and build up to longer, faster, or more intense.

• mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    edited June 2022
    Walking is a great thing to do. It has to start slow. As time goes on and you become healthier you should speed it up and get even more benefits. You'll be surprised that walking @4 mph pace will yield you similar burned cals of a 5-7 mile jog. So no need to jump into jogging immediately if at all. As you drop weight you get less cals for your efforts, but talking from my own experience you speed up your walk as I did when I was much heavier and you'll be amazed of the benefits. I walked for 11 months straight mostly on a treadmill before I tried to jog a single minute. I was also doing elliptical, rowing, stretching and of course I started taking inventory of what I was fueling with. I jog pretty much on a daily basis, but on a jog if the body says enough I stop and I walk home. I've had pains that slow me down, but thankfully haven't derailed me and so I go back to walking while I recover. You'll get there just find what works for you.