~ Sobriety Matters ~

Replies

• BeIn2day
    BeIn2day Posts: 1,667 Member
    Negative Covid test today. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

🤞🤞
  • BeIn2day
    3rd zoom meeting lined up for tonight. This time I will be on a meeting with my potential sponsor. She seems really nice. I'm willing to give it a go 🤷🏼‍♀️ maybe I will say hello on this meeting, I probably will say hello to my potential sponsor since we have been messaging for a couple of days. I better brush my hair lol

I will probably check in here often and update about how I'm getting on as I explore the world of AA. at the very least it let's me digest it better by sharing here, at best it might give someone the needed motivation to check it out for themselves, or a similar programme. There are many recovery programmes out there. I just happen to be checking out AA....

If anyone else has experience of other programmes please feel free to share about them here. 😊
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 879 Member
    edited June 12
    BeIn2day wrote: »
    3rd zoom meeting lined up for tonight. This time I will be on a meeting with my potential sponsor. She seems really nice. I'm willing to give it a go 🤷🏼‍♀️ maybe I will say hello on this meeting, I probably will say hello to my potential sponsor since we have been messaging for a couple of days. I better brush my hair lol

I will probably check in here often and update about how I'm getting on as I explore the world of AA. at the very least it let's me digest it better by sharing here, at best it might give someone the needed motivation to check it out for themselves, or a similar programme. There are many recovery programmes out there. I just happen to be checking out AA....

If anyone else has experience of other programmes please feel free to share about them here. 😊

After reading "Quit Like A Woman," I generally recommend Tempest for women because I like Holly's approach. I've never done the program myself, but read up on it quite a bit, and really like her foundational structure.

https://jointempest.com/
  • BeIn2day

After reading "Quit Like A Woman," I generally recommend Tempest for women because I like Holly's approach. I've never done the program myself, but read up on it quite a bit, and really like her foundational structure.

https://jointempest.com/

I really enjoyed that book by Holly. I like her approach as well. I always keep meaning to look more into Tempest and what it's got to offer.
  • BeIn2day
    Well I spoke at that zoom meeting (just a quick hello really) but I guess that was a big step for me. All I can say is that everyone I have seen on zoom and heard talk, are super nice folk. Very welcoming. Very willing and keen to help. I did feel slightly overwhelmed when I was offered to have my phone number passed onto a lady so that I could be supported to attend a face to face meeting, in my neighbourhood. But, when I said I prefer just to zoom for a while, they were absolutely fine with that. So that's great. At least when I feel like attending a face to face meeting, I know I am not alone. Makes it less scary I suppose.

I have now joined various chat groups on WhatsApp and through that, I will receive all the links for attending the zoom meetings. So far, so good.

I read the (from the Big Book on my AA app) Preface and Doctors Opinion at the request of my potential sponsor. I found it interesting to read how AA started and how it began. Then there was the doctors opinion, that alcoholism is an allergy of the body. This is the part that I question and I was 100% honest with sponsor, I told her I would prefer to research this myself. Which I will. I do think I have an intolerance to alcohol, cos my face, neck and chest turn bright red when I have wine. So I'm gona be looking into this allergy theory and draw my own conclusions.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 3,831 Member
    @BeIn2day This sounds wonderful! So happy you are trying something different. It sure can't hurt!
    I found many many benefits to the AA program and philosophy. There are also many celebrities and musicians who are in AA; I read their quotes on Instagram.

This might also be a nudge to help your brother; he's so young and this might be great inspiration for him seeing you in the program.
  • RubyRed427
    annliz23 wrote: »
    Trying again but finding it hard but I must make changes. So here goes.

We are here for you in spirit. You are not alone. We know what you may be going through.
  • RubyRed427
    Negative Covid test today. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Fingers crossed. <3
  • RubyRed427
    We are heading to Florida tomorrow; I pray to be sober; I pray not to be constantly thinking about drinking. I just hate the obsession I have to getting that first sip. Last time, I was in Florida, I was 100 percent sober and enjoyed every second.
  • RubyRed427
    Trying again but finding it hard but I must make changes. So here goes.

We will be here for you and support you as much as we can. I know how hard it can be, you will get there eventually!! Just don't stop trying!

Nice to have you join us 💖

Thank you, I have tried loads of times but always fall back trying to do it by myself.

It might be worth while to investigate all the resources so that you dont have to do it alone.

I like this thread as 1 resource. It's good to chat to like minded people. I have picked up so many tips and good advice and support from my fitness pal sober threads.

I managed my longest sober streak of 134 days (4.5 months) by signing up to a paid programme called Sexy Sobriety by Rebecca Weller. Her programme was fantastic, it took a holistic approach and what I learnt from that programme, there is much more involved in stopping or reducing alcohol, than just the alcohol. I would recommend checking out a programme. There is 30 day alcohol experiment by Annie Grace. There is WFS (women for Sobriety) there is AA.

There is many apps available that count your sober days. AA has an app available as well.

There is many books. Quit LIT was a whole new genre of books for me ! I wonder if you have looked into any of these options before ?

In my experience, there is only so far you can go it alone. Especially if you have a drinking problem or consider yourself to be an alcoholic. I wish you all the luck in finding something that works for you. Maybe you can do it alone but it doesn't hurt to have added support x

I did try WFS a few times; I went to meetings with them. I know it is a fantastic philosophy and program; however, I must have found a meeting that was not ideal. The leader had no literature for me to read or take home. There were a few other issues, but I do love their website.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I read this the other night and it made me not want to go back to day one again. Some of these people have absolute horror stories.

https://www.verywellmind.com/is-this-normal-how-long-will-it-last-80197
  • RubyRed427
    Its great that you have this resource for both of you. I think you will get a lot out of it whether you initially say anything or not. First just doingit is good. It reinforces your intentions and gives you new resources and ways of thinking about the situation. Second hearing that you are not alone or different from others and that you can be successful despite how hard it seems. Last and maybe most important it signals a real commitment to people who are also making real commitments and will help you hold to yours using the resources you have agreed to in the group. I am really happy and hopeful for you.

I think you said the magic word " commitment".
  • RubyRed427
    I read this the other night and it made me not want to go back to day one again. Some of these people have absolute horror stories.

https://www.verywellmind.com/is-this-normal-how-long-will-it-last-80197

Very riveting article. I kept reading and reading and saying I don't want this to be me. All for a beverage....it is addicting for some like me. I hate it.
  • BeIn2day
    We are heading to Florida tomorrow; I pray to be sober; I pray not to be constantly thinking about drinking. I just hate the obsession I have to getting that first sip. Last time, I was in Florida, I was 100 percent sober and enjoyed every second.

Florida sounds lovely 😍 I hope you have a lovely trip, whatever you do. Sending positive vibes for you to stay sober 💖
  • BeIn2day
    Talking to the AA member who I work alongside at work today, asking him to explain the allergy theory.

He makes an interesting point that, like an allergy, when an alcoholic takes a drink it causes a reaction in the body and the alcoholic craves more drink. I can relate to this cos when I drink 1 alcoholic drink, I definitely do want more. Whereas normal drinkers can have 1 glass of wine with dinner and put a plug in the jug. I'm not like that.

Personally I tend to think of an allergy in a different way, but I can actually see what AA is talking about.
  • BeIn2day
    Really enjoying the AA zoom meetings. I would definitely recommend them to anyone. It can be done from your own home, you don't have to say a word if you don't want to, you can set your zoom video to private. So you really can be annoymous if you wish.

It's absolutely fantastic listening to people share their experience, hope and strength (that's how they word it in AA) I have found that many stories are of people who were further down the extreme end of alcoholism. Instead of that putting me off, or thinking "oh, I'm not that bad. I can't be like them. I'm not an alcoholic". It's making me think "I know my drinking has been severe by my own standards in the past. Bad enough that I paid for a programme and stopped drinking for 4.5 months. So I will try this programme out, because I don't want to BECOME as extreme as these people have".

There is definitely something about these meetings that is powerful. I would recommend to anyone to tune in and just listen. I think u can just Google AA online meeting and u should be able to find how to join a meeting.

Anyway, just updating you's ! 😊
  • BeIn2day
    @Xellercin great post, well said. I respect your views and thoughts. AA definitely has its own philosophy and ideas, it's not for everyone!

I'm just focusing on the parts that I think could work for me. I am intrigued. Anything that can keep me sober, I'm willing to give it a chance. Plus it's free !
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,214 Member
    @Bein2day I am proud of you for trying different things to see what suits you best. Your positive and never give up attitude is admirable.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 879 Member
    edited June 14
    @Xellercin great post, well said. I respect your views and thoughts. AA definitely has its own philosophy and ideas, it's not for everyone!

I'm just focusing on the parts that I think could work for me. I am intrigued. Anything that can keep me sober, I'm willing to give it a chance. Plus it's free !

Absolutely! I think AA is an amazing resource. You don't have to buy into everything for a resource to be incredibly helpful. It's really the community and opportunity for one-on-one support that is most valuable in AA, and they do that [email protected] well.

You go out and find whatever resources can possible help you. We all know you *want* to be sober, it's just a matter of gathering enough supports to pull it off.

I posted what I did not to discourage you from AA, but to make sure that you don't feel like you need to buy in to everything they say in order to benefit from what they have to offer.