I weigh so little, but have such a thick waist??

Hello! Im 18 years old and currently trying to lose my thick waist line..im pretty confused since im 5"5
And 112 pounds yet when i measure around my belly button im 33inches! How can this be..i have chicken legs so tiny
That i can put my hands around my thigh. Mfp has me eating 1,500 calories.a day to be 108, but does anyone have this body type and lost all the extra fat? If so can you give me some pointers, thanks!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I'm the same shape, square or a popsicle stick as my mother likes to tell me. If that's the way you're built it won't matter how much you lose you'll probably never have a small waist.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    I don't have this body type but maybe you can do some ab exercise, strengthen your core to lose some inches around the waist.
  • Its all in your diet.. try cutting out soda, salt, and decreasing bread.... drink more water... I can lose about an inch when I do this but i am horrible at sticking with it! I love pizza too much!! :( planks and pushups also seem to have helped me... but I have the same problem.. my waist seems to be stuck at 26/27...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    What's your bf%?

I am currently bulking so my numbers are higher than normal
    Bf% 21%
    Weight 117
    Waist 24 inches

I wouldn't focus on a goal WEIGHT but a goal bf%. :)

Eat big, lift heavy.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Did you recently post this same thread under another account?

1) I would get checked for food allergies/intolerances that might be causing bloating in your belly
    2) What is the measurement at the natural waistline? It should be the smallest part of your torso, where your hips curve in, usually a couple inches above your belly button. It's hard to gauge meaning at your bellybutton because that's not a standard place to measure. What are your hip and bust measurements, too?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Can't change genetics. Blame your parents. You can try to lower body fat more, but your shape is your shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Everyone has a different body shape. My mother's side of the family has what they call the skinny chicken legs and they gain all their weight in the belly. I got my small frame from them, but then I also got the body type of the women on my father's side which is the opposite with a very small waist and bigger butt/thighs (like when I was younger my waist was 22 inches and my thighs were each 21 inches). Comparing myself to others, I started to think I was not "normal". I had to cease contact with my father and his family, so always felt different in my family. I wanted their skinny legs so bad (the grass is always greener on the other side). But, I went off to college and have loved my body type ever since (with struggles always along the way). I hope you will embrace your body type as well!! :heart:
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Guess what? I used to be straight up and down. No defined waist, no bust really and large hips. In fact I was almost the same measurements for my waistline and my hips and bust. I was like this until I hit 20 years old! Then BAM! My waist appeared, my hips slimmed down, and with my weight loss my bust has lost the bra bulge and the back fat and is now small due to bone structure but not extra weight. You're only 18, you still have time to fill out. That doesn't always mean weight gain, like for me it meant redistribution and even though I still carry a few extra lbs, I am happy with how my body changed. 112lbs is very small on a 5'5" female, you don't need to get down to 108. That is not a healthy weight for someone my height 5'3" let alone your frame. If you want to change your muscle structure lift weights, that will give you definition in all the right places. But please realize that you are at a healthy weight and even if you shrunk to 108 lbs I doubt your waist will get smaller, unless it is just because you are empty of food. Give yourself some time to finish growing, you will probably be surprised if you eat for health and nutrition and not the scale.
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Abs come from the kitchen, you can do all the crunches, sit ups etc you want but until you get your diet under control your not going to get the stomach you want!

I don't know what your daily food intake looks like but if your having alot of proccessed foods you wont be seeing that stomach you really want. Try eating a more clean diet (for fruits and veggies).
  • I've been waiting for 60 years to find my waist...it is never going to happen, genetically I am straight up and down. It wasn't there when I was a young slim thing so I don't imagine it will arrive now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    at 5ft5 and 112, you do NOT need to lose any weight. eat at maintenance and lift things!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    There is another factor to consider that I have not seen anyone mention here. If the bottom of your ribcage and the top of your hipbones are three inches or less apart, then you are short waisted, and your body doesn't have the *space* to make your waist small. It does not mean you are eating the wrong things, aren't thin enough, aren't lifting enough weight, or anything of the kind. It is in your genetics how you are shaped.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    It could also be your body shape. I have the typical hourglass figure and I have a very small waist at the smallest part (compared to my size lol) but it gets bigger as you measure further down and closer to the hips.
  • 97031284C
    97031284C Posts: 1 Member
    For 5'5", 112 is barely high enough to be a healthy bmi. If you lost weight you would be underweight. So loosing weight probably won't change your waist. I have exactly the same problem. I have read about something called homocysteine which is associated with health risks. One way to lower it is with a supplement called betaine. I've also read about liver health which can be helped by supplements like lecithin, choline, inositol, and milk thistle extract. You my consider consulting a naturopath if you can afford. I also reccomend a b complex supplement, plus algal oil, zinc, iron, calcium, magnesium, selenium. And maybe coq10 and alpha lipoic acid. Fruit and carrots are good for their soluble fiber. You can read about in depth nutrition info on a website called Linus Pauling. I also like pub med for health study abstracts. If you can it may be helpful to evaluate your sleep quality. Good luck and know you are not alone!!!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    MoreBean13 wrote: »
    Did you recently post this same thread under another account?

1) I would get checked for food allergies/intolerances that might be causing bloating in your belly
    2) What is the measurement at the natural waistline? It should be the smallest part of your torso, where your hips curve in, usually a couple inches above your belly button. It's hard to gauge meaning at your bellybutton because that's not a standard place to measure. What are your hip and bust measurements, too?

I was going to mention the bolded part, too. Measure your waist at the smallest point (usually higher than bellybutton). Measure hips at largest point (usually lower than pelvic bones).

Also worth echoing don’t lose weight. Losing lean mass is not a good look. And doesn’t age well. Unfortunately, abdominal exercises will not reduce abdominal fat (if you even have any), but a strong core feels great so do them anyway!

Also echoing that things change in time. I was an hourglass and had a terrible time finding clothes that fit well off the rack. If it fit in the waist, it was too tight in the hips. If there was enough room in the hips to sit down, it was gaping at the waist. (Sidebar: The grass is always greener on the other side.) In my late 40’s-early 50’s, my hips actually got smaller and my waist got larger which overall made clothes look better. I bet it’s really easy to find clothes that look great on you. Embrace your cute shape and take care of yourself. Your future self will thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    wmoomoo wrote: »
    I don't have this body type but maybe you can do some ab exercise, strengthen your core to lose some inches around the waist.
    Ab exercises don't reduce inches just by directly training them.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,578 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    wmoomoo wrote: »
    Ab exercises don't reduce inches just by directly training them.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yep, such a common misperception. I'm basically shaped like a stump, doesn't matter how much ab exercises I do. Just unfortunate torso length and hip circumference.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    There is another factor to consider that I have not seen anyone mention here. If the bottom of your ribcage and the top of your hipbones are three inches or less apart, then you are short waisted, and your body doesn't have the *space* to make your waist small. It does not mean you are eating the wrong things, aren't thin enough, aren't lifting enough weight, or anything of the kind. It is in your genetics how you are shaped.

Yep this is me. There's nowhere for a waist to be because my ribcage is almost on my pelvis and those bones aren't moving no matter how much I work my abs.