Frustrated not losing muffin top

djaape96
djaape96 Posts: 6 Member
edited June 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey peeps, 6 months ago I started working out again after 5 years break, in these last 5 years I've gained alot of weight.
Heres the thing last month i’ve been tracking my calories (as i work out 7 times a week) to go on a weight loss journey, now im in a deficit 1,600 average of calories per day 3 times a week weight lifting and 4 times boxing (one time sparring) the weight is staying the same cause of the muscle build up, which I understand I’ve dropped from 30,8 body fat to 22,3% which is amazing, however, muffin top isn't going away. given its only been 7 days, how do you stay motivated to go ahead and lose the fat around the hips and belly, rest of body i am satisfied with how progression is going.
Appreciate your answers and tips on how to improve burning the muffin top and if any particular exercise could involve burning those sides im down to listen and take advice

Replies

• azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Need to get down to sub 15%
  • djaape96
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol 7 days on gear and you expect everything do be gone? Gear is just a tool to enhance what you can't do naturally.
    Hell, the average good bodybuilder takes 12 weeks minimum to get ready for a contest and single digit body fat percentages..........on a super clean diet.
    You just need TIME.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It does goes faster though, strength increase is huge i can say which is what i love, i just wish results were like in a week
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,595 Member
    edited June 2022
    Like Ninerbuff said, It takes time. I'd listen to him, I've rarely heard him give bad advice, he knows what he's talking about.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    I had to google what "gear" means in this context, so I am by no means knowledgeable. Nonetheless, expecting visible results in 7 days would seem to indicate a profound need for more and better information, especially if taking something with nontrivial and sometimes long term side effects. I wish you the best, OP, and hope you seek out a lot more information from reliable sources.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    You’re only eating 1600 calories while doing all this? How much of the past six months have you been this low?

I’m an older woman, and I don’t lift heavy, but I maintain at about 3000, give or take a couple hundred. My last DEXA nine months ago was about 21-22% body fat and I’m pretty sure I’ve dropped a bit lower since then.

My muffin top is simply the extra skin left over from being obese. Working out more, using “gear”, etc isn’t going to help.

Hopefully, time will.

Could you possibly have this?

How can I tell it’s extra skin? The skin is very loose and floppy. The muscles under the skin are hard and taut. The “ring” around my abdomen is pliable, flexible, elastic, can be pulled or stretched in any direction. It I pull up, I can actually see the muscles underneath. In a bathtub, it actually floats independently, and can be molded into shape like playdough. It has a distinctly different personality than a ring of fat.

Lycra works miracles for me. I’m sure there’s similar for men if it bothers you that bad. It’s quite comfortable, because the extra skin is so pliable.

I just keep thinking, though, about 1600 calories……Hangry + “gear”= scary

At 1600 I’d be the foulest *kitten* on the planet.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Not that you seem particularly hell-bent on doing this the most intelligent way possible, but regardless, since nobody else has mentioned it yet, I'll say you need to make sure and get your bloodwork done regularly when you're running AAS, especially multiple compounds. Hepatoxicity is no joke and I have also heard from multiple (reliable) people that Winstrol can have negative effects on your joints (pain, etc).
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Depending on age, the muffin top won't go away; it'll just get smaller.
  • djaape96
    Been doing great on 1600 kcal sunday is only day. I do 2.3k, didnt take gear without consulting people beforehand, just wanted to know how ling it usually takes
  • sollyn23l2
    djaape96 wrote: »
    Been doing great on 1600 kcal sunday is only day. I do 2.3k, didnt take gear without consulting people beforehand, just wanted to know how ling it usually takes

It takes months. And if you're trying to gain muscle while you lose weight, even longer, because you can't be in as steep of a deficit. Think maybe 2 lbs of fat per month would maybe be reasonable.
  • djaape96
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

It takes months. And if you're trying to gain muscle while you lose weight, even longer, because you can't be in as steep of a deficit. Think maybe 2 lbs of fat per month would maybe be reasonable.

Thats the worst part, the scale isnt moving down by alot, even though im on a cut, cause muscle is being built and fat is being lost, like i got SMM skeletal muscle mass 40.1 kg with 22,3 % body fat, reckon its quite decent, yet the fat is killing me, wishing it went down to 10-13% faster
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member

Unless I am of the wrong age group to comment — i am post menopausal — my personal experience is that it is more body type driven than age driven. When I was fat (I have lost well over 50+ lbs) I didn’t particularly have a muffin top, and now that my BMI is 20 I definitely don’t have one. I tended to put on weight all over more or less evenly. I will say though that while my gut is more or less flat, so is my butt these days so we all have our body complaints …..
  • sollyn23l2

Unless I am of the wrong age group to comment — i am post menopausal — my personal experience is that it is more body type driven than age driven. When I was fat (I have lost well over 50+ lbs) I didn’t particularly have a muffin top, and now that my BMI is 20 I definitely don’t have one. I tended to put on weight all over more or less evenly. I will say though that while my gut is more or less flat, so is my butt these days so we all have our body complaints …..

🤣😂 I've got no muffin top, but also no boobs... I'm an A-cup bra on a good day, so it's true... we all have our complaints
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    I see I may be the wrong gender to comment about the particular muffin top at issue. Although i also have no boobs if that helps any! Sorry to be insensitive!
  • djaape96
    I dont know if its possible that different body type results in some people always having the belly fat and some not, my arms always looked ripped, while my belly was always fat found pic from my teen days, when i used to work out alot, even then i cudnt get the V shape aka get rid of muffin top
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member

People who promote the use of illegal, dangerous drugs? Certainly not medical professionals. I know a number of people in the weightlifting world, and a few in the body building world, so I have some decent exposure to the subculture, and a very good understanding of the drugs and dosages being used, and as a medical professional myself I would NEVER EVER take that stuff.

Whether you use APEDs or not is your personal risk assessment to make, you're a grown up and can decide what risks you are willing to take, but I do strongly suggest that you at least inform your primary care provider so that they at least know what to look for or test for if anything starts going sideways.

But regardless, you are going to get frustrated if you try to rush this. No matter what you do, you are going to have to stick with it to maintain your results, so instead of being in a rush, I recommend that you try to focus on figuring out what kind of lifestyle you are comfortable maintaining, and then just let time take care of the results for you.

I say this as someone who coached my spouse from belly and muffin top to visible abs and sharp v-cuts with just consistent diet and exercise. There was never a specific body comp or weight loss goal, just a focus on constantly improving and optimising lifestyle. It took some time, but the whole process was easy and now he can't imagine living any other way, so it's self-sustaining.

I also say this as someone who myself got really into body building when I was younger, couldn't sustain it when my school/work got too demanding, and then ended up with nothing to show for it except that I was briefly chubby as all of my gains rapidly disappeared and I had to totally modify my eating again. It's still hard for me to think back on what my body once was and know that I'll never get it back. The only thing worse than no gains is past gains that are long gone.

Fitness isn't a goal, it's an ongoing lifestyle, and being in a rush doesn't really help you build the kind of ongoing, sustainable habits that you need to stay fit.

Feel free to ignore my advice, but having been-there-done-that (minus the drugs), I figured I would share some perspective, even though you likely don't want to hear it because what you want is results. I get that, I do.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited June 2022
    OP, you must've come back and deleted some of your post, regarding drugs or I read it in a different topic somewhere.
    It always boggles my mind when a person, who is trying to become healthier, does it in such unhealthy ways. And it's not just drugs, I've tried a few 'Speed type lose weight fast drugs' in my past as well, Remember Dexatrim? Not to mention severely undereating and over exercising. I see others, in my life, who skimp terribly on healthy food so they can eat ice cream instead, more often than not. I lived a week on some liquid diet that didn't make a bit of sense, back 50 years ago.
    People are striving to be *the* perfect image of who they think they should be, comparing themselves to others. :( I'm 68 so spent many years doing ridiculous stuff, trying to achieve that too. It's amazing how much you learn and realize as you get older.
    Time. Patience. Sustainable practices. Don't kill yourself in the process of trying to get healthy.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    OP, you must've come back and deleted some of your post, regarding drugs or I read it in a different topic somewhere.
    It always boggles my mind when a person, who is trying to become healthier, does it in such unhealthy ways. And it's not just drugs, I've tried a few 'Speed type lose weight fast drugs' in my past as well, Remember Dexatrim? Not to mention severely undereating and over exercising. I see others, in my life, who skimp terribly on healthy food so they can eat ice cream instead, more often than not. I lived a week on some liquid diet that didn't make a bit of sense, back 50 years ago.
    People are striving to be *the* perfect image of who they think they should be, comparing themselves to others. :( I'm 68 so spent many years doing ridiculous stuff, trying to achieve that too. It's amazing how much you learn and realize as you get older.
    Time. Patience. Sustainable practices. Don't kill yourself in the process of trying to get healthy.

Ugh, yeah, I had a stint with ephedrine as a teen, I bought it as a "health supplement" at the drug store!! I can't believe pharmacies used to legally sell speed to kids. Unreal.

That's very old school though, and shockingly relatively harmless compared to the drugs young people use today.

Ephedrine is like a decaf latte compared to the elephant doses of thyroid meds and clenbuterol (asthma meds for horses) that kids take today.