Help me find a protein supplement

2

Replies

  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,260 Member
    paints5555 wrote: »
    I like Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides. It is flavorless so I add it to my morning coffee and it provides 18g of protein.

    Thanks! I'm going to try this! No sweeteners!

    Just remember that collagen is a very poor quality protein. It is missing several essential amino acids.

    Just can't win.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,260 Member
    azuki84 wrote: »
    bummer. i eat 500g yogurt every day and my skin is smooth/good in my opinion, or at least my mom says so (LOL). pea protein does suck i agree, taste is vile. i think soy would be my choice, in terms of flavor (loved Vegemil Black Bean Soymilk growing up- then i realized how much sugar they put in that sh** lol)

    I wish I knew what it was like to have smooth skin! Mine is the best it's been since I was a young teen or before, but it isn't 100% clear - and my back/chest still have spots. It's so frustrating.

    Right now I've lost most of my sense of taste due to covid, maybe I could have the pea protein for now...
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 380 Member
    I can't digest most dairy and have a legume allergy. I use hemp protein. Hemp has a distinctive flavour, which I don't mind (I drank hemp milk for years) but the dehydration to make it into powder makes it really strong, so definitely not for everyone. The one I use is unflavoured and unsweetened.

    Nutrition panel:
    p93d22gn7aio.jpg
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 193 Member
    There are some protein bars that are dairy free and rely on fruits as a sweetener. Maybe you could try one of those.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,260 Member
    I found plain egg and rice protein (with nothing else) available online - I think I'm going to try those.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 874 Member
    How about a different tack: I know you mentioned the cost of fresh protein (chicken cost rocketing at the moment!) but how do you feel about tinned fish? It can be a lot cheaper than fresh, you can get a wide variety to minimise exposure to the higher levels or mercury etc in tuna. In the UK sardines and mackerel are relatively inexpensive and pack a reasonable amount of protein. They’re not as easy as just drinking a protein shake but might at least not cause skin problems?
  • CrunchityFrog
    CrunchityFrog Posts: 7 Member
    So I just came off of an elimination diet (the FODMAP diet for my IBS) and one of the things eliminated was lactose. And one thing I learned on that diet is if that one can eat hard cheese even if you're lactose intolerant because the process of making hard cheese somehow kills the lactose... or something? Anyway, google "hard cheese and lactose" if you're interested.

    Also, I use peanut butter powder to add a small bit of protein here and there to my diet. It's not a lot, but every little bit helps, right? I usually sprinkle it into my cereal or my yogurt.

    Speaking of yogurt, sheep's milk yogurt is pretty good, as is goat's milk yogurt. But they're a bit pricey. And yogurt is something one can have in moderation while avoiding lactose -- with live bacteria -- because the bacteria kills the lactose.

    I had to do a lot of research about this while on that diet. It was a killer elimination diet. :s
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 270 Member
    So I just came off of an elimination diet (the FODMAP diet for my IBS) and one of the things eliminated was lactose. And one thing I learned on that diet is if that one can eat hard cheese even if you're lactose intolerant because the process of making hard cheese somehow kills the lactose... or something? Anyway, google "hard cheese and lactose" if you're interested.

    Also, I use peanut butter powder to add a small bit of protein here and there to my diet. It's not a lot, but every little bit helps, right? I usually sprinkle it into my cereal or my yogurt.

    Speaking of yogurt, sheep's milk yogurt is pretty good, as is goat's milk yogurt. But they're a bit pricey. And yogurt is something one can have in moderation while avoiding lactose -- with live bacteria -- because the bacteria kills the lactose.

    I had to do a lot of research about this while on that diet. It was a killer elimination diet. :s

    I don't think the op is lactose intolerant, I think they don't do dairy period for other health reasons. They won't use whey protein, which has no lactose, because it's dairy.
  • CrunchityFrog
    CrunchityFrog Posts: 7 Member
    I don't think the op is lactose intolerant, I think they don't do dairy period for other health reasons. They won't use whey protein, which has no lactose, because it's dairy.

    My bad, I coulda swore I read somewhere upthread she said she was lactose intolerant.

  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 228 Member
    Try soy protein isolates? Pea and rice I find to be disgusting and so chalky! Also soya yoghurt as good macros, same with nutritional yeast which gives a good cheesy / nutty flavour! Also try some higher protein pastas / spaghettis to bump up the protein! 🤍
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,260 Member
    How about a different tack: I know you mentioned the cost of fresh protein (chicken cost rocketing at the moment!) but how do you feel about tinned fish? It can be a lot cheaper than fresh, you can get a wide variety to minimise exposure to the higher levels or mercury etc in tuna. In the UK sardines and mackerel are relatively inexpensive and pack a reasonable amount of protein. They’re not as easy as just drinking a protein shake but might at least not cause skin problems?

    Thank you for the suggestion. I eat tuna several times a week! I don't care for other fish, but tuna is a really inexpensive source of lean protein.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,260 Member
    I don't think the op is lactose intolerant, I think they don't do dairy period for other health reasons. They won't use whey protein, which has no lactose, because it's dairy.

    My bad, I coulda swore I read somewhere upthread she said she was lactose intolerant.

    I mean I am, but I also don't eat dairy. I've been lactose intolerant my entire adult life, but I still ate non-lactose dairy.

    What I mean is, cutting out lactose cut out the majority of the bloating and gas - but I still struggled with my skin - and it turned out other issues too. When I quit eating dairy, I went from having crippling menstrual cramps that I had to double up on painkillers (trading off ibuprofen and acetaminophen every 2 hours) with heating packs to get through - I now don't even need painkillers.

    There was a lot of "low level" inflammation that did not produce the acute problems that lactose did in my intestines.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,260 Member
    Try soy protein isolates? Pea and rice I find to be disgusting and so chalky! Also soya yoghurt as good macros, same with nutritional yeast which gives a good cheesy / nutty flavour! Also try some higher protein pastas / spaghettis to bump up the protein! 🤍

    Thank you! I haven't seen any protein powders for sale that are soy (maybe not as common) but I think I've seen high protein soy milk in the milk alternatives, I might give it a try.

    I do buy protein pasta, but it's pretty high carb even with the protein. I don't eat a lot of pasta because it's calorie dense.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,695 Member
    Try soy protein isolates? Pea and rice I find to be disgusting and so chalky! Also soya yoghurt as good macros, same with nutritional yeast which gives a good cheesy / nutty flavour! Also try some higher protein pastas / spaghettis to bump up the protein! 🤍

    Thank you! I haven't seen any protein powders for sale that are soy (maybe not as common) but I think I've seen high protein soy milk in the milk alternatives, I might give it a try.

    I do buy protein pasta, but it's pretty high carb even with the protein. I don't eat a lot of pasta because it's calorie dense.

    Have you taken a look at edamame/soy pasta? It isn't (to my taste) a wheat pasta substitute - chewier texture - but IMO nice in pseudo-Asian preps, with stir-fried veggies.

    Selected nutrition info for Explore Asian brand edamame/mung fettuccine, as an example, 2 oz dry:

    180 calories
    20g carbs
    24g protein
    14g fiber

    I like it with chile sauce, peanut butter or almond powder (extra protein), rice wine vinegar, and seasonings of choice - plus the veggies. Just a thought. YMMV.
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    Lean Caffiene do a bone broth powder, would that work for you? It says no preservatives or additives apart from sunflower. I get mine from Amazon. I add it to savoury meals, couldn't tell you if it is truly tasteless like it claims. Not too sure that it wouldn't work out just as pricey as meat though?

  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 498 Member
    Lean Caffiene do a bone broth powder, would that work for you? It says no preservatives or additives apart from sunflower. I get mine from Amazon. I add it to savoury meals, couldn't tell you if it is truly tasteless like it claims. Not too sure that it wouldn't work out just as pricey as meat though?
    I don't know about this product specifically but most bone broth products derive their protein from collagen (poor quality).
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    paints5555 wrote: »
    Lean Caffiene do a bone broth powder, would that work for you? It says no preservatives or additives apart from sunflower. I get mine from Amazon. I add it to savoury meals, couldn't tell you if it is truly tasteless like it claims. Not too sure that it wouldn't work out just as pricey as meat though?
    I don't know about this product specifically but most bone broth products derive their protein from collagen (poor quality).

    Yup, the protein is collagen. Interested to hear why you say it is a poor quality protein - absorption? Incomplete amino acid range..?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 6,668 Member
    A little off topic but, speaking of bone broth, anyone know how to make it actually taste good with minimal extra calories and non spicy? I bought some because of high protein and needing to be on liquid diets every once in a while but, holy crap, it's barely palatable!
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    A little off topic but, speaking of bone broth, anyone know how to make it actually taste good with minimal extra calories and non spicy? I bought some because of high protein and needing to be on liquid diets every once in a while but, holy crap, it's barely palatable!

    Any soups you can make that are allowed on your liquid diet? I use mine in soups and meals.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 6,668 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    A little off topic but, speaking of bone broth, anyone know how to make it actually taste good with minimal extra calories and non spicy? I bought some because of high protein and needing to be on liquid diets every once in a while but, holy crap, it's barely palatable!

    Any soups you can make that are allowed on your liquid diet? I use mine in soups and meals.

    That would require cooking, right? :) I figured....broth. Like chicken broth from the carton.

    The liquid diets were more for oral surgery type days but I'm putting the next one off because I can only deal with one ailment at a time.