Shape Shifters Team Chat - JUNE 2022

Replies

• CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 524 Member
    @cre804 I hope you feel better soon, that is a lot to deal with in a week.

@bearchested your schedule sounds a lot like mine. Walk the dog twice a day and try to get that work out in when I can
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 214 Member
    @jessicakrall8

Jessica, I'm traveling most of next week for work and won't be back until Sunday, so I'll miss next week's weigh-in
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 214 Member
    @ewilhelm2487

Sorry to hear how the shortage is affecting you. I feel so bad for parents with babies right now.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,075 Member
    @cre804 Hope your appointment goes well and you're feeling better soon.

@SavageMrsMoose Sorry to hear you have COVID! Glad you were vaxxed/boosted or it could have been much worse. STILL I hope you recover soon!

@ewilhelm2487 the crystal light flavor you asked me about on my feed...Berry Sangria is very nice...one of my favorites! Try it!

Hope everyone is having a nice Friday. It's horribly hot with a heat index of 107 I think today...I stayed in and walked indoors in the middle of the night when I had trouble sleeping after finishing a very emotional but good book! Back to work on Monday so I plan on enjoying the weekend...it's been a good week and I got a LOT accomplished.
    Jessica
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,322 Member
    edited June 2022
    Wow! 🤩 — I’be been really interested in the many thoughtful comments and reflections on Shape Shifters’ personal experiences, struggles, and motivation!

I’ll be reviewing your responses to my informal poll about motivation and support again this weekend so I can respond more fully in the days ahead. I’ll definitely be collecting and posting some uplifting quotes. While I’m not great at keeping up with the ‘friends’ section, I’ll try to be more conscious about supporting fellow Shape Shifters via those daily updates and automated messages. Feel free to send a friend request and I’ll also plan to reach out to more people in the coming months. I tend to ‘ebb and flow’ in my reactions to the friends section but I’ll try to improve.

Thanks for all the helpful perspectives, ideas, thoughts, and suggestions — and keep them coming if you haven’t yet responded or have additional insights to share. Happy Friday!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Mulecanter
    Friday
    PW: 223
    CW: 224
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,780 Member
    Angmarie28
    Wednesdays
    Previous weight-163.6
    Current weight-163.6
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,780 Member
    6/12-12,167
    6/13-11,331
    6/14-12,361
    6/15-8,345
    6/16-7,715
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,260 Member
    Steps:
    6/14 8,353
    6/15 8,894
    6/16 5,457
    6/17 7,885
  • Susanna527
    Susanna527 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Thank you so much @CasandraW. The weekend was emotional, especially since there was also a brief scare at the Washington, D.C. rally when people started running in fear because someone in the audience scared them. I was nearby but far enough away to observe more calmly what was unfolding. However, many of the people who have survived gun violence were really shaken up and I felt so sad that they had come to promote positive change, and remember their loved ones, only to experience the post-traumatic stress of reliving the past events. Yesterday, there were many tasks I was hoping to accomplish but my mind kept wondering and I felt really tired.

I was a little disappointed with myself last night because I pushed so many things to today but I feel better now. I slept a little better last night and my mind is not as foggy and distracted. I was also able to row this morning - twice! - and can feel the benefits of spending time outside and exercising.

My dog also had a good walk and we’re ready to face the day with a fresh perspective. Thanks again for your support, Cassandra, and all the Shape Shifter group members! Best wishes for the rest of the week. We’re halfway through —

Enjoy!

Patrice, what a week you've had, my goodness! I'm happy to hear you slept a bit better and that you were able to row this morning - being outdoors and exercising (endorphins) can be so healing. Hoping you get to have a relaxing, rejuvenating weekend - xo
  • Susanna527
    Good morning everyone - So grateful for this group and you all, and am making a commitment to be more involved and supportive as best I can. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend :)
  • Susanna527
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    Busy week. Worked 3 12's then wednesday I was super busy, with appointments, gymnastics for my daughter, and helping my mom. Thursday I finally worked out for the first time in a month, spent time with my kiddos, worked out again today, did a big grocery shopping trip, then took my kids to the lake to swim since it was 95degrees out. Then home to fold 20 loads of laundry 😂

Then Im sure a lot of you have seen the news about the flooding here in Montana (near Yellowston National Park) a town about 45 minutes from me uas a small creek, that creek flooded so bad it flooded most the town. The yellowstone River flows through my city, it flooded worse then it ever has, it gorlt so flooded that they uad to shut down the water plant here. Not far from me, peoples houses got washed away, roads were washed awatly, It was crazy. The water has gone down a bit and most the flooding it gone, and clean up has begun.

I can't even imagine the horror of seeing your home get washed away. So heartbreaking......
  • Susanna527
    Walela617 wrote: »
    Friday's steps (6/17): 14,411

Although I walked a lot more this week (like...a LOT), I'm a little nervous about my weigh-in tomorrow because although I ate healthy foods (mostly), I still feel like I'm eating more than I need and eating too late in the evening. PLUS, we had an awards banquet given by my work on Wednesday night and it was a very fancy dinner at Le Meridien hotel, complete with constantly circulating appetizers before dinner as well as a sumptuous banquet, including a really decadent dessert! To my credit though, they had "open bar" and "bottomless" champagne on every table but I only had two glasses of sparkling water with lime and two glasses of still water! (Go, ME!)

Despite all this, I pledge to report honestly tomorrow morning!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
    glyjb2alor2u.jpg

Way to go with your steps, and the healthy choices you made at the fancy dinner!!! :) I'm a bit worried about my weigh-in Monday because I still have a LOT of swelling in my feet, ankles & legs, but am working on trying to curb nighttime snacking (not easy). Hang in there & keep up the good work!!! :)
  • jessicakrall8
    Steps:
    6/14 8,353
    6/15 8,894
    6/16 5,457
    6/17 7,885

Good morning @LaurieWrobo ! I just noticed something in recording your steps for the week...you and I tend to have similar walking/step patterns! Our numbers are quite close. Do you use Fitbit or another brand of step tracker? Would love to add you as a friend on Fitbit so we can do challenges sometime...let me know! I think I'm listed as JessicaK on Fitbit...email is jakrall@cox.net so please add me! Others on the team are welcome to add me to, but please send me a message and let me know you're doing so. I don't automatically accept all requests...as there are some STRANGE requests I've seen...it's a little scary...

I've been on vacation this week...was busy is some regards as I tried to do some much needed maintenance to my house, go to the doctor, get something accomplished every day, but still take some much needed down time as work has been hectic lately and I really NEEDED this break. Haven't been posting much this week, so wanted to check in on everybody...how's your week been? Yesterday was a scorcher in Virginia and today is 20 degrees cooler, so much better and breathable! Starting to clean out my kitchen cabinets, go through and get rid of clutter, box up the keepables and get ready for my kitchen renovation which will start in the latter part of July. Question of the day...just how many knives and plastic storage containers does one need?! OMG I have a lot of stuff! Will be good to let go of some of it!! Wish I had time for a yard sale, but that would be more work...and I don't have the energy for it.

Well, hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful start to their weekend! Hope to catch up with all of you soon!! Enjoy your day!
    Jessica :smile:
  • Susanna527
    Recently, I agreed to serve as one of the Shape Shifters motivators. So, I thought I’d ask:

-What motivates you? Are there any typical motivation approaches that don’t work for you, or have the opposite effect?

Here is a list to help prompt your thinking and I encourage you to add your own thoughts and ideas.

-Praise,
    -Recognition,
    -Celebrating milestones,
    -Receiving peer support,
    -Encouragement,
    -Sharing your knowledge/skills on health,
    -Feedback
    -Tracking progress data,
    -Positive quotes of encouragement/success,
    -Correcting/being ‘called out’ for accountability,
    -Setting group goals for us to work toward,
    -Describing the value/purpose of a specific aspect of fitness or weight loss,
    -Visualizing what success looks like,
    -Problem-solving together,
    -Learning together about a particular health or fitness topic,
    -Helping to reframe negative thinking/ behaviors,
    -Demonstrating active listening/ feeling “heard,”
    -Offering a safe place to experiment with new approaches to improving health (and a safe place to share ‘failure’ and learn from it).

I’d love to hear what works - or doesn’t work - for you. How can we improve this space so you can find the support or motivation that helps you thrive? Do you feel supported within other groups you belong to, outside of the Shape Shifters? What kind of environment brings out the best in you?

I'm not exactly sure what motivates me, tbh, but I'm going to give this some thought. What's motivating me, personally, right now is the fact that I have a TON of clothes I no longer fit into, and I refuse to buy any more clothes in a 2x. What also motivates me is routine - I need to be consistent, with food tracking, exercise, and trying to be more accountable at MFP. As far as group motivation, I do like the idea of celebrating milestones and receiving peer support. I don't think "correcting/being 'called out' for accountability" would work - I think people do better with praise, encouragement and positive reinforcement as opposed to being "called out", but this is my feeling only...I belong to a few other groups that don't see much activity, so I definitely feel the most support from this group and, as I mentioned in another post, I am going to try to be more supportive to others, as well. Thank you for all the thought and energy you put into this, Patrice!
  • Susanna527
    Anyone have a recommendation for next week's Group Challenge? I could do another Bingo as most people love those...or a walking/running challenge...or something on self-care...any thoughts/suggestions/complaints/comments??
    Jessica

My bad - I haven't participated in a group challenge yet, but want to change that, and I'm with Cassandra W - think something along the lines of self-care might be nice :)
  • jessicakrall8
    @walela617 Please do me a favor and take a look at the step chart. I tried to go back and search your posts to check things...some days I get step counts from you and others I don't...no regular pattern to how you post and I realize you're fairly new to the team...I want to make sure I don't miss anything, so please fill in any gaps you see by posting any missing days after you reference the chart. I have nothing for: Jun 10, 11, 12, 13, 16. I remember you told me you're not competitive, but I want to make sure everything counts for you, so please let me know. Thank you for the extra effort and enjoy your weekend!
    Jessica :smile:
  • Walela617
    Walela617 Posts: 379 Member
    edited June 2022
    Hi Susanna, So sorry about everyone in Montana dealing with the heat and the floods, etc. I spoke with a lovely woman in Montana when I called Bank of America about my savings account yesterday afternoon. She was about my age. Her family is trying to get her to move to South Carolina (closer to them), but she and her husband are staying put! That's true Montana grit! Prayers for all and best wishes to you! (Hope that swelling goes down soon!)
This discussion has been closed.