What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Today was supposed to be a harder row in the garage gym. Even though it's cooler today (we expect rain, yah!), I didn't feel like sweating it out in the hot gym. Golf last night was 111. So I was drained from that already.

Ended up doing 16 two minute intervals w/ one minute slow recovery -- 8 on the LateralX and then 8 on the Assault Bike -- all about as hard as I could push for 2 minutes. Did a 10 minute C/D after.

Also have done weight supersets today as well -- so far six sets of shoulders, chest and legs -- all complex moves. Tomorrow is my off day. Much needed.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    @MikePfirrman every time you mention the "Assault Bike" I get this weird image of you running some apocalyptic training course where people throw bikes at you. :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Today was supposed to be a harder row in the garage gym. Even though it's cooler today (we expect rain, yah!), I didn't feel like sweating it out in the hot gym. Golf last night was 111. So I was drained from that already.

Ended up doing 16 two minute intervals w/ one minute slow recovery -- 8 on the LateralX and then 8 on the Assault Bike -- all about as hard as I could push for 2 minutes. Did a 10 minute C/D after.

Also have done weight supersets today as well -- so far six sets of shoulders, chest and legs -- all complex moves. Tomorrow is my off day. Much needed.

2' intervals with 1' recovery are pretty (bleep) challenging. I think that's nice work. Sixteen is lots!

IMO, this issue of navigating heat - which is always relative to our routine climate, and means not only heat but also humidity and our own physiological responses to both - is a challenge, and puzzle.

I lived in Reno NV (OK, Sparks) one summer, and found the challenges very different to what I find at home in Michigan. In Michigan, I perceive my sweat and therefore the need for hydration as more evident. Out in the high desert, it was more like fatigue (really hydration issues) mysteriously arrived with the heat - I didn't perceive sweat at all because it instantly evaporated.

@MikePfirrman, I know you're a transplant, but have been there in the SW for a while now. But I know that the adaptation is . . . interesting.

For me, every year, there's a slightly different twist to heat/humidity adjustment. This year, we had late cold here, then pretty sudden heat/humidity. Conditioning to the heat/humidity is IME a bit gradual - maybe extra so with age and the related relevance of recovery management?
  • Bodenista
    Bodenista Posts: 146 Member
    Well I pulled something in the back of my right knee going upstairs to bed last night (it's been dodgy for a while) and so all I've done is cut the grass today which doesn't really count. Oh well tomorrow is another day 🙃
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    insane volume leg workout. I'm so happy with my gains!!! vascularity EVERYWHERE YASSSS
  • RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    dralicephd wrote: »
    @MikePfirrman every time you mention the "Assault Bike" I get this weird image of you running some apocalyptic training course where people throw bikes at you. :D

Now THAT would be a good workout.
  • Bodenista
    Bodenista Posts: 146 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Unless I can count doing a few sun salutations on the dock (in beautiful sunshine and moderate temps, BTW), while dockmastering for learn to row class, then it's just a lovely, lovely rest day. Happy!

Sun salutations on the dock sounds lovely and after reading all your workout posts, I think a daybof rest is well deserved 🌞
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    First time back on my bike in 3 weeks. Easy paced 25 miles with one fairly good 2-3 mile climb in the middle of the route. It was the right amount of work. I'm feeling some slight soreness, but not anything of concern. I hope to get out for an open water swim tomorrow.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Did a quick 30 min on the elliptical (2 miles... a fast pace for me!), most in Zone 3. This served as warmup for some strength training: Crunches, bridges, dumbbell pushups and rows, bicep and tricep curls, and some shoulder therapy.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2022
    dralicephd wrote: »

LOL, Assault Bikes are great. Think of the old fashioned Schwinn Air Bike. They are basically upgraded, more sturdy versions of those. You use both your legs and arms -- full body workout, but there's no motor to burn out. I own an AD Pro, which is a Schwinn. Great workout but it's also versatile. It can destroy the best of athletes but it's also gentle enough for anyone -- you go as easy or hard as you want. Highly recommend them! Though I personally wouldn't chose a Schwinn AD Pro again. I'd get a Rogue Echo -- cheaper and better built.

@ Ann -- yeah, I'm still adjusting to the heat. To complicate matters, we are around a mile high in elevation, which is an added challenge. I have had a lot more issues with being dehydrated since moving here. I was all geeked up for my golf on Thursday night. Cooling hat, cooling towels and even a cooling hood thing for when we parked. The sixteen intervals are brutal, but I start on the LateralX -- it's a slower build on HR than the rower or the Assault Bike. By the time I'm done with that, my HR is only around 83% max or so, so it doesn't feel too bad. I can only do around 8 of these on the rower. That's the idea. To try to get better on more intervals on the rower, which seems to max out my HR much quicker.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Worked everyday this week. Had a class to learn Plasmaphoresis and a meeting afterwards on what was my day off on Tuesday. At least I get paid OT after 40 hours. So no workout this week till today. My usual elliptical, 242 minutes for 16.26 miles, slower than my usual, and then 2 hours on the riding lawn mower.
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Assault bikes can be brutal. We got the Rogue Echo at our gym and everyone hates that thing. It's great
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    edited June 2022
    There was an arts and music festival a couple towns over. It was great fun but we only got in 6-7K steps. Overall not bad for a rest day