For the love of Produce...

Replies

• o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    Had the first garden cucumbers the other day and have a few more to pick today! So yummy. Might need to make a cucumber sandwich soon
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    I love this thread!

My current obsession is red cabbage and apple coleslaw with tamari roasted seeds.

Finely chop red cabbage, grate carrot, and chop apple into thin slices. I like to coat the apple in lemon juice at this point so it stays fresh for a few days.

Mix mayo with a vinegar (i like apple cyder vinegar) or lemon juice, S&P, and any fresh herbs you have that might go well - like dill or parsley. Mix dressing and veggies. Top with tamari roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Enjoy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'm on a rhubarb kick still. Chop it up, mix with just a bit of honey, and roast at 425 for 5-8 minutes.

This is intriguing. I like rhubarb, but resent how much sugar (or other regular, caloric sweetener) I need to add to make it taste best.

I know that in some ways, you and I have similar tastes. I've never roasted rhubarb. Roughly how much honey do you find you need to add (per hundred grams of rhubarb, or whatever)?

Thanks!
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    We need a "yum" button!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Neighbor Bob phoned, told me to come over . . .

<snip>

That thing where restaurants give you 3-4 stalks of asparagus as a portion? That's BS. 😉 Yum, asparagus.

When I bought my house 20 years ago, I thought I should plant asparagus. There was even a nearly perfect place for them. I wasn't sure I'd live in this house long enough to reap the harvest which can take a few years to really start coming in. Well.... Never happened. I have grown other things in that space, and kept thinking I should add asparagus.

I ended up using that space for raspberries. When LaVerne gave me a bunch of plants when they moved out of a rental house they'd lived in for 30 years, I put the raspberries in a bucket of water intending to start a new bed. I had the perfect place. Spring came, and they started leafing out. The new bed wasn't ready. So now, I don't have a good space for asparagus. I rarely buy them. Only when they are in season locally. I think I missed my chance this year.

A friend wants to go pick strawberries soon.
  • AnnPT77
    @BarbaraHelen2013, that looks so delicious I had a momentary temptation to lick my monitor. 😉😆

Yum, yum, yum!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
    Steamed artichokes sure generate a lot of compost.
    0hicyk31aifw.jpeg
    hs9r8yqllcia.jpeg

• o0Firekeeper0o
    I made a cucumber salad with an amazing creamy basil dressing the other day… I can hardly stop eating it.
  • AnnPT77
    I made a cucumber salad with an amazing creamy basil dressing the other day… I can hardly stop eating it.

@o0Firekeeper0o But no photo, specific ingredients mentioned other than cucumbers, recipe, or anything like that? That's kind of cruel, dontcha think? 😉

I love cucumbers. One of my favorite foods, long term - my childhood bedtime snack for quite some time was a big chunk of raw cucumber and a glass of chocolate milk. Yes, together. Yes, I was an only child: How did you guess? 🤣
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    @o0Firekeeper0o But no photo, specific ingredients mentioned other than cucumbers, recipe, or anything like that? That's kind of cruel, dontcha think? 😉

I love cucumbers. One of my favorite foods, long term - my childhood bedtime snack for quite some time was a big chunk of raw cucumber and a glass of chocolate milk. Yes, together. Yes, I was an only child: How did you guess? 🤣

I can’t post photos anymore; haven’t been able to in months :( I need to transcribe the recipe, I just haven’t had the time!
  • AnnPT77

I can’t post photos anymore; haven’t been able to in months :( I need to transcribe the recipe, I just haven’t had the time!

Ooo, thank you for replying. No pressure, but a recipe or even vague generalities would be great, if/when you have time. I got my basil in late (as usual!), but it's coming up nicely now, still small.