Weight loss at home

How many of you have loss weight by exercising at home and eating healthier? I want to hear about your approach. I don’t have a gym membership and my time is limited, so I would like to get in a workout that is realistic.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,578 Member
    I've used the workouts on here. They're not bad but you have to pay for premium to use them. I have a pair of 10 lb weights that I use when I do squats, lunges, bicep curls, triceps kickbacks, skullcrushers, etc. There are lots of resources you can find online and on YouTube. I walk my dog twice a day about 1.5 miles each time. As far as eating healthier, I just started including more fruits and vegetables, cut out hyperprocessed foods.
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    edited June 2022
    The most important thing to note is that you can't out-exercise a bad diet. For example running a mile burns 100 calories -- you can easily eat that back with just a small snack. Exercise is great for overall health but you don't technically need to exercise to lose weight. If weight loss is your main goal, then focus on tracking your calories accurately. Eating at a caloric deficit can be difficult at first so I recommend getting into the swing of that first before adding in things like exercise. As for realistic exercise I would honestly just start with walking (brisk walking if you're feeling ambitious). You're not going to burn a lot of calories with stuff like weights and lunges, although those are good for overall health.

My own experience when I was dieting, I tracked everything of course, I ate 1600 calories a day which was very doable (more if I did any exercise). I ate small frequent meals since I found that to be better for me to prevent hunger on a calorie deficit, but different people have different approaches when it comes to meal frequency. I didn't cut out sugar or processed food or anything entirely, but I did naturally reduce those things and replace them with more fulfilling options, so that I could hit my macros and stay full for longer. I didn't do any more exercise than usual. I found this to be a very doable and realistic approach. I was hungry the first two days and then I got used to it. I lost the weight easily.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,096 Member
    As said above, the workouts really are secondary to your diet. Even someone who has mobility issues, for example, can lose weight as long as they decrease their calorie intake. Exercise is good for health and can help you eat a bit more while still losing weight, but it certainly isn't a must.

When I started my weight loss, I started by just eating less. When I got a step tracker and saw that more steps gave me more calories (I still like my food :mrgreen: ), I started increasing my activity level, just by walking more and spending less time sitting down. It was only after a few months of losing weight that way that I actually started working out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Weight loss at home happens in the kitchen.

Exercise is for health, fitness, body composition and yes, even enjoyment!
    It definitely can make dieting easier having a calorie allowance boosted by exercise though.
    Although I do lift in a gym the vast majority of my exercise routine is from home (not at home).

Something to think about is that one of the common attributes shared by successful long-term maintainers at goal weight is having a regular exercise routine. And that's where seeing exercise as being for weight loss falls down.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Many people do it. Weight loss is all about consuming less calories than your body burns. Exercise is not necessary for weight loss. Exercise can help achieve a calorie deficit, and is very beneficial to overall health.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    40+ pounds lost with no gym and very little "intentional" exercise beyond the occasional long walk. It's all about CICO and how you choose to feed your body.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Felerter wrote: »

This is totally not necessary, and only eating 1300 calories for a dude a disaster waiting to happen. TO can eat everything he likes, as long as he's in a reasonable calorie deficit. Just 1300 calories is NOT reasonable for any man; it's far too little. Also, MFP does a good job at setting your calorie goal, provided you chose an (again) reasonable weight loss goal per week. No need to really use anything else, really.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I got into my best shape while working out at home. I was consistent with my diet, had a small daily deficit & was also consistent with workouts. I did buy some weight equipment and have a designated space for it. I followed a progressive lifting program and did a little cardio daily. Diet was most important, though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    yirara wrote: »

This is totally not necessary, and only eating 1300 calories for a dude a disaster waiting to happen. TO can eat everything he likes, as long as he's in a reasonable calorie deficit. Just 1300 calories is NOT reasonable for any man; it's far too little. Also, MFP does a good job at setting your calorie goal, provided you chose an (again) reasonable weight loss goal per week. No need to really use anything else, really.

Sure, that's why I wrote to calculate BMR. It's just for example.

BMR (basal metabolic rate) is just the estimated number of calories a person would burn if in bed in a coma, not even eating or anything. Unless someone is in bed in a coma, or near enough, BMR isn't a number that's directly useful to someone who's trying to lose weight.

Further, you don't "calculate" BMR, you estimate it. Even in metabolic labs, they normally don't (maybe can't) measure it: They measure its close cousin, RMR (resting metabolic rate, which is more like the amount you burn lying still but doing a normal amount of digesting and that sort of thing at the time).

Perhaps you meant TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), but that's not what you wrote.

I'm not trying to be mean here, truly . . . but that was unclear advice, and recommending a 1300 calorie diet plan to a man was a bit alarming (or to anyone, maybe, without knowing their calorie needs) . It could be riskily few calories - likely is for an average-sized man. Someone is going to disagree with it, on that basis, so that OP gets accurate advice.

It's kind and generous of you to share what has been successful for you - I assume that's why you suggested that diet plan?

Personally, I would (and did) plan my eating like this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

. . . but that won't be universally perfect for everyone, either, because no one approach is.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    I’m down 89 pounds and I have never stepped foot in a gym. Ever. In my whole life.

I do have a treadmill, exercise bike, BowFlex and a hot tub that I do some water exercises in at home.

My primary exercise is yoga and Tia Chi that I do from an Amazon video in my bedroom in the morning. I also walk around the block with my favorite person in the entire world and our dog in the evening for about 40 minutes.

I exercise to maintain my mobility, increase my fitness where possible and feel better. I eat appropriate amounts to lose weight.

Weight loss happens in the kitchen. You can absolutely lose weight without working out if you are really pressed for time or just don’t want to.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    I lost weight to goal and maintained since without ever going to a gym (I did do various forms of light exercise)
    My husband has lost 10 kg since September without ever going to a gym either - incidentally, in his case without calorie counting either