Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited June 2022
    Don't like using conflict terminology, but it is not each individual win or loss but the overall sum total.

And susceptibility to "disturbance" does change over time depending on the "local" starting point.

It is absolutely different to go off the reservation from a position of equilibrium and return to that position. It is totally different to get to it while susceptible after a previous loss or other disturbance or what have you.

Moving a full 2800 sq foot main, mid level and upper floor plus 1100 sq foot basement plus two car garage full of 💩 to a 470sq ft appartment and a 11x11 bedroom in another city and a storage room and a shed does use some energy even if I try to avoid doing as much of anything as possible 😹
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    Our long distance military moves were good for 10-15+ lbs. The stress of packing, unpacking, tossing stuff and then driving to a location with different sized accommodations made for a lot of unplanned overeating. So yeah I get the chocolate pie!

Do be kind to yourself PAV. You will survive this. Word of warning though - if dad is like my mother he’ll be doing a lot of complaining at the new place. Mom would carry on for months. Nothing was right, as good as the last place, too much new stuff to adjust to .... resulting in more overeating trying to make her happy.
  • PAV8888
    So far no worries in terms of that AND every single person in the house is still alive!!!! Mind you I can see where multiple pies may be an issue. But for now we're still moving along at belt minimums pending the big dinner outing in a half hour!
  • Yoolypr
    Yesterday was the summer solstice which makes me very happy. No - not because it’s officially the first day of summer and longest day of the year.

I’m happy because from now until December 22, the days will get incrementally shorter. Less daylight, less heat!

I really love cold, rainy dark days which are rare where I live.
  • PAV8888
    I used to like you Yooly!
  • Yoolypr
    Love the sturm und drang. Must be my Germanic genes. Or the dark forests of the Polish ancestors. I would do well in Canada or England. Somehow relentless sunshine just doesn’t do it for me.
    It’s 9:30 pm, totally dark and still 91 degrees so .......
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    I'm feeling very vulnerable to the relentless sunshine even here in Canada - can't imagine Texas!
  • Yoolypr
    edited June 2022
    I may be turning into one of those people who can mentally track meals and adjust as I go through the day. Kind of an auto reflex thing. When and how did this happen?🤔
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,580 Member
    Muscle memory, Yooly. Consistency has its advantages! 👍👏
  • PAV8888
    Garfield: camping report?!?!?!?!
  • Bella_Figura
    edited July 2022
    Hmmm...camping report.

Why is it do you think that a simple camping trip turns into an excuse for a slide into calorific excess?

We camped five nights...arrived Monday late morning, decamped straight after breakfast on the Saturday.

Mon - 3,125 calories - included 3 cakes, cider, pizza, salted peanuts, crisps.
    Tue - 2,980 calories - included 2 cakes, cider, chips, bacon butties, salted peanuts, cheese
    Wed - 2,675 calories - included 2 cakes, cider, ice-cream
    Thu - 2,285 calories - included 2 cakes, cider, chips
    Fri - 2,650 calories - included 1 cake, cider, chips

Negligible exercise. Just ambling along with the dog because it was hot for England (28 degrees C) and muttski was suffering...a wasteland of bunnies. Just two apples across 5 whole days of camping. If cider counts, I had at least a couple of bunnies a day.

At Sunday's face the music weigh-in I weighed 63.8kg (up 1.0kg over previous Sunday). I'd feared it would be worse.

I've run good deficits all this week to compensate for last week's excess. My intake was as follows:
    Sat - 1,330 cals
    Sun - 1,278 cals
    Mon - 1,352 cals
    Tue - 1,597 cals
    Wed - 1,609 cals
    Thu - 1,592 cals

This morning's weight is back down to 62.6kg. So that's encouraging.

On the one hand I feel a sense of despair at the re-emergence of old, destructive behaviours as soon as there's a change in my routine. On the other hand, I feel a sense of optimism that I was able to get straight back onto the wagon both after camping and BIL's visit.

If I'm thinking in terms of disordered eating as a medical condition, BIL's visit and camping would constitute flare-ups, which prompt management prevented from developing into a chronic episode. I'm now back in remission...

Is that half a success story?
  • PAV8888
    Well.... it is a story :)

Bad news department: part of your "small" increase was because of lack of exercise. Your biking has a considerable amount of excess muscle repair components that hide the scale impact.

Good news department: you reacted.

My only advice to you is to try to keep a more even keel in the beginning of maintenance or as even a keel as possible. The big ups and downs do get tiring and the feeling you have to react all the time has the potential to not be get caught during a *kitten this* moment. Aim for every day as if it were a normal day (only your aim is maintenance levels).

I admit to you that I personally did in the past and still do aim for a "perma-deficit", albeit only a very slight one (100-200 Cal a day). My natural inclination being to go over more often than not... it just keeps things in check. And hey... if I am consistently hitting new lows (or am tired blah blah for no apparent reason) that's why it is a log and we can review it :wink:

I tried the big adjustment routine and very quickly tried to move away from it. FEATHER. DON'T SLEDGEHAMMER.

Cause the sledgehammer down then goes the other way around when feasts are coming. Really. the ideal OUGHT to be where we're eating to fullness and recognize that the "good food" will still be there tomorrow. Of course this is absolutely NOT the case with double chocolate pie and me. But wouldn't it be a nice ideal if I were capable of only eating the small piece that fits in my calories!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

But yes, I am not a big fan of going for the big ups and big compensations. Even there, I would compensate over an extended period of slightly low calories. Why? To get you in the habit of being near the maintenance average more often than not. At least that's the reasoning!
  • Yoolypr
    Anyone heard from our Connie? She hasn’t been here for a while. Hope she’s okay
  • PAV8888
    A few days ago she said she was taking a break :neutral:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    ... I am not a big fan of going for the big ups and big compensations. Even there, I would compensate over an extended period of slightly low calories. Why? To get you in the habit of being near the maintenance average more often than not. At least that's the reasoning!

This is good solid reasoning PAV. Definitely clicked in my head...funny how you can hear the same idea over and over and suddenly something shifts and you "get" it!
  • Yoolypr
    hsntkaykdzxw.jpeg
  • Bella_Figura
    Well said Yooly!
  • Yoolypr
    Pride maybe? More likely a well earned and hard won self respect! We deserve better than filling ourselves with junk food every day.
  • PAV8888
    Actually Bella based on your little bike adventures you definitely qualify in the athlete category. And given that you are in that little island off the coast of Europe which is famous for its college rowing teams... and given the amount of competition that takes place using concept 2's.... Have you ever given any thought to rowing?