WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I've got a 4-day weekend between my two jobs and I'm about to get out in the garden to enjoy the first day.

I worked in the garden for about 2.5 hours this afternoon. It was reasonably warm out there, but I think I got a bit chilled by the end.

I pulled all sorts of weeds. Last year, I didn't know much about gardens and left the weed pulling until much later ... when the weeds had gone to seed. And I ended up with lots more weeds. This time I'm trying to get them before they go to seed.

I'm also trying to decide what to do with a couple other areas of the garden. One section already had a row of bushes, but I'd like to put something in underneath that doesn't grow high and will choke out the weeds.

There's an adjoining section which doesn't have anything in it and it's in shade. It's behind the greenhouse so it's out of sight. When I was back there pulling weeds today, I did think that when I was a child, I would have loved that area as a quiet hiding space, but I don't really want to put seating or something back there. I'm debating about maybe gravelling it?? Not sure.

Machka in Oz ... short for Australia :)
    I'm a Canadian-Australian cyclist, carer and database management officer

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Happy July First!

Barbie - thank you for getting us going. New month, new start! <3

Beth - glad you guys weren't hurt in that deer collision. It gave me the willies just reading about it. I have had so many close calls, and that's another reason I don't like driving at night. The rule on our country roads is: if you see one crossing the road, slow down and/or stop because there's another one getting ready to dart across. :# Sorry there's such a backup at the collision repair shop. Hope your DH can get his diabetes under control. <3

Allie - Happy Belated Birthday, young lady. :D Trudy's dinner sounded great.

Kay - Your dad's funeral was very nice, and a great tribute. There was a military presence at my Dad's as well. I feel a little bad I didn't have a service/burial for my DH with that ceremony. I'm finding things he collected from his time in Vietnam I plan to donate to the local Veteran's Museum.

Debbie - interesting to see your MIL's behavior changing a bit - quitting smoking. Glad to hear her appetite is coming back. And big congrats on all those steps!

Machka - someone once told me if you want something done, give it to a busy person. That's you!

Regarding Protein requirement for seniors and muscle loss -
    someone on this list - Annie? - posted about protein a while back. I was so focused on my DH's dwindling protein intake and muscle loss, I didn't pay much attention to mine. :(

I watched a neat video yesterday - Dr. Rhonda Patrick interviewed Dr. Stuart Phillips of McMaster's U. about protein intake, and the first hour of it had good info on why adequate protein is so important for seniors, plus the part exercise plays in maintaining strength. I realized this past 6 months I hadn't been doing strength training or much cardio for that matter and my protein intake was about half to 2/3 of what it should be: 85 - 90 gm, 1.2 gm/kg. That's minimum. Yikes.

Lots of other info too about how inactivity contributes to muscle loss, even being sick in bed a few days.

Here's the blurb from YouTube intro: Stuart Phillips, PhD, is a professor of kinesiology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, where he also serves as the director of the Physical Activity Centre of Excellence. His research centers on the roles exercise and nutrition play in influencing human skeletal muscle protein turnover and how these lifestyle factors influence body composition, especially as we age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8DSpOd0NZc

They didn't really address higher protein intake and kidney function though. I wish they would have. Thinking of Allie and Machka here.

So I brought my free weights back into the house from the potting shed and set up a little area. And I'm going to start using the diary again to preplan my meals.

That's it for now, back later. Much more I want to comment on. :D Welcome new ladies, jump on in.

Make it a fabulous day. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where the weather is just about perfect. High's in 70's, lows 50. Finally getting May weather here.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    HAPPY JULY!

Barbie...Thanks for starting the July thread!

Carol in GA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

My weigh-in went the wrong direction this morning: up .8 lbs. Time to cut back on all this food.

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the July thread, Barbie!

Happy Canada Day!

Getting ready for our 4th!

Have a great weekend all!

Carla, in MN
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    Barbie--Thanks for getting us started on the new month. Love the new start.

Kylia--Pray today is better.

Debbie--Glad to hear MIL is doing better with the way she is reacting to you and DH.

Katla--Great to hear your children are there and helping improve safety. How is DH doing?

Working on getting end of the month reports done and July 1 is the start of our new fiscal year so have that to finish up for last year and get started for this year. Then I have the next 3 days off. Going to motorcycle event tomorrow and church on Sunday and then to DS's for cookout and fireworks.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • LeslieAWagner
    LeslieAWagner Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for the support of this community! A new month and a new set of possibilities!

Here’s an intro for new folks in spoiler:

I’m Leslie from the Ozark’s of Arkansas. I’m a retired (1.5 years) Sr. IT Program Mgr. working for several large tech and corporate 500 companies in my career. I’ve struggled with my weight since the mid-90’s after having children and it’s been what seems an uphill fight. I’m 2008 / 2009 I managed to get to a size 12 which being 5’9” looked fabulous. To get there I ate a calorie deficit and worked out daily at the gym and had a trainer for a month to get me going.

DH and I sold our home in TX and property there too so that we could buy land and a home in the Ozark’s to enjoy a simpler life. We live off a dirt road up on a large hill surrounded by forest. :) I do have a neighbor on the other end of our hill and they share our long drive up!

MIL lived with us for 4 years and I was her caretaker for the last year and a half. She passed in February. DH works on our current investment homes to remodel prior to sale.

Now my parents (80) and sister (Learning disabled) live with us (4 months and going) along with two of my kiddos plus my daughter’s fiancé. Dad has the beginning signs of Parkinson’s and possibly dementia but the jury is out. Mom is the glue that holds them all together. Daughter (27) and her fiancé live in an RV next to us. My son (25) has Asperger’s, OCD and anxiety. Oldest daughter (29) lives in Texas and manages a Data Analytic team for a company in Austin.

I hope everyone is doing well. It’s a pretty sunny day here and we’ll be making a trash haul. We do that typically weekly.

This is the first time I’ve joined a community online and am going to continue to support and be supported here. <3 I believe it will help me be successful.

July Goals:

1) Continue my 7 day streak of logging food and being in a calorie deficit.
    2) Get better and more sleep (I do love my alone time at night once everyone has retired for the night! (10pm) - I tend to watch Korean Dramas and I used to snack a lot!
    3) No late night snacking! 😂
    4) Get my body moving in a way I can stick with it and enjoy. I start next week!

Happy Canada Day to those celebrating!

A hug out to all in need of one!

Leslie from the Ozark’s

buxaebyxl2nv.jpeg

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Beth Hitting a deer or a deer hitting you is scary. Happened to me 15 years ago. It is your comprhensive part of your insurance that covers it. In MN you can take it to any body shop and they should deal with insurance.

This did not happen with my hail damage. Because it was such a massive event here. I had to deal more with insurance than I cared for.

Finally had adjuster come and she was great. Then I called the shop and was informed they may need to keep my car for 5-10 days in case they need to add any charges to their initial estimate. My appointment in Aug. 1st. That is how bad it is to even get in to get the work done.

My plan is to take in their estimate and the adjuster. (The adjuster's estimate is slightly over what they said.) I will say fix what is in your estimate and enough with insurance. I want an appointment where you will fix it that day. I will not leave my car overnight at your facility bacause you do not have a secure space to leave a car overnight. We have had too many catalytic converters stolen in our area.

My advice to you Beth is to take your car to a body shop your trust and let them deal with the insurance.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    I did my yoga and fast marching! Yay! Now I just need to control the snacking. Again.

Annie in Delaware
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Morning again ladies
    Again thank you for all the warm birthday wishes it was just lovely and Trudy made a fantastic dinner
    Im over here with Miles.
    Its going to be 90 today and humid he is on his 3rd nap and just not feeling great.. so ill be picking up some pedia lax for him ,when i go up to meet Lisa . Yes I want to make sure I get the right medicare program, she hasnt steered me wrong yet..
    I have the startings of a summer cold ,sneezing my fool head off.. ugh.. to funny got a HB text from my first husband and a text from Elena wishing me a happy birthday and she got me a card and Tom said happy birthday this morning lol
    Well at least thats something... i always remember theres anyway ha ha
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    B) 👽👽👽🌵🛸🛸☀️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I posted new photos etc in June. Oops! I can't face doing it all again. :p I hope some of you will go back and find them. <3

We have ordered Lobster Bisque for a starter and Rack of Lamb for DH and Tornedo Rossini for me tonight. In our cabin. Then Cheeses. The butler will bring it all and will serve us Gevrey Chambertin to drink.

Katla - sending big hugs. <3

I have a couple of films downloaded that I can watch tonight.

Last night the crew of the ship put on a show for us in the main theatre. It was very touching to see their joy. Housekeepers, engineers, bar staff, laundry. Some individual singers with very good voices. Some did dances from the Philippines, where most of them come from, though there are 40 nationalities among the 500 crew. The laundry women did a traditional fan dance and I nearly shed a tear. The engineers did a white gloved hand show in ultra violet. Fantastic.
    The best was the YMCA dance by the gay Filipino members of the crew. They got such big cheers. The cruise lines are so important for that community. A safe place. I found myself thinking that, even 5 years ago, such a performance would not have been possible on Saga. How times have changed in Britain!!!

We are late leaving the port as they are waiting for a new crew member to arrive. Doesn't affect arrival in Dover on Sunday. We will be first off the ship, early. Group no 1. :D Should be home well before midday.
    My son is swimming 'Pier to Pier' on Sunday, but we won't be back in time to cheer him on.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    🇨🇦 Happy Canada Day 🇨🇦