WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2022

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    edited July 2022
    Out of the shower, and waiting long enough for my hair to dry, so I don't look like I'm wearing a fright wig when I get up.

Veggies have always been a no-go for me, but I will eat them if I must. Grudgingly. My husband's the cook, so he continues to try to find veggie recipes I will eat.

For instance, I will eat most green vegetables as well as cauliflower, if you deep fry them. Once you add the same batter you'd use to make fried chicken, cauliflower actually tastes amazing, but of course, there goes the calorie count. I've made an au gratin cauliflower that was amazing, but again, drowning in cheese.

Beets smell and taste like dirt to me, they're a no-go.

Asparagus in a cheese sauce is acceptable, but I won't eat much of it.

Broccoli in a good cheese sauce is acceptable, but two bites and I'm done.

Unfortunately, all the cruciferous veggies leave me bent over in pain from gas bubbles. Avoiding that for now.

Kylia - the only way I was ever willing to eat Brussels sprouts was halved and cooked face down in balsamic vinegar until completely caramelized. Doesn't add tons of calories, but you genuinely can't taste the Brussel sprouts, which is probably why I liked them.

I know mushrooms aren't vegetables, but I really do love them, especially sliced and sauteed in white wine. Never met a mushroom I didn't like.

Corey did make a gravy one night for mashed potatoes and didn't tell me until after I ate it that it was actually a vegetable puree. Sneaky boy. :smiley:

Later, my dears,
    Lisa in AR

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,297 Member
    :)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,036 Member
    ☘️
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    kymarai wrote: »
    Allie I couldn't exchange our mattress which while firm and good for the back was not so good for the hips and shoulders. If you can't exchange it, we got a 3" foam pad to put on ours. It has helped tremendously!

we did that too- It really helps so much. I am a side sleeper and without it, I hurt all night and when I get up.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    Out of the shower, and waiting long enough for my hair to dry, so I don't look like I'm wearing a fright wig when I get up.

Veggies have always been a no-go for me, but I will eat them if I must. Grudgingly. My husband's the cook, so he continues to try to find veggie recipes I will eat.

For instance, I will eat most green vegetables as well as cauliflower, if you deep fry them. Once you add the same batter you'd use to make fried chicken, cauliflower actually tastes amazing, but of course, there goes the calorie count. I've made an au gratin cauliflower that was amazing, but again, drowning in cheese.

Beets smell and taste like dirt to me, they're a no-go.

Asparagus in a cheese sauce is acceptable, but I won't eat much of it.

Broccoli in a good cheese sauce is acceptable, but two bites and I'm done.

Unfortunately, all the cruciferous veggies leave me bent over in pain from gas bubbles. Avoiding that for now.

Kylia - the only way I was ever willing to eat Brussels sprouts was halved and cooked face down in balsamic vinegar until completely caramelized. Doesn't add tons of calories, but you genuinely can't taste the Brussel sprouts, which is probably why I liked them.

I know mushrooms aren't vegetables, but I really do love them, especially sliced and sauteed in white wine. Never met a mushroom I didn't like.

Corey did make a gravy one night for mashed potatoes and didn't tell me until after I ate it that it was actually a vegetable puree. Sneaky boy. :smiley:

Later, my dears,
    Lisa in AR

I love all veggies- I will even eat beets now. I used to hate them- tasted like dirt. Now I eat them boiled with a little butter and salt or, my favorite way is when mom pickles them SOOOO good- her pickled okra are amazing- I can eat a jar in just a few days. Not a holiday meal without them for me.
    Tomatoes and cucumbers, growing in the garden, most are eaten before they even come in the house- eat them up in the garden. Get to pick my very first cucumber of the season today.
    I have to grow those two things in my garden-it is a must.
    Broccoli , plain or with just a little garlic salt/butter.
    Artichokes just boiled, nothing on them.
    Okra- ANY WAY!! I usually grow it so I can have enough for gumbo but didn't plant any here. I will raid mom's when it is ready. Even like it cooked with tomatoes. Fried, of course is the best. Never can get enough.
    Cauliflower roasted with garlic or steamed with cheese.
    Can't wait for the tomatoes to start ripening up- have I think 12-13 plants- should be enough for me( dh and son eat a few but not excited about them)

Walked mil's dog again this morning. I guess it is helping both he and I. Got on the scale and down about 1.5 lbs in a week (down a pound over the two weeks prior to that ) first time in months the scale has moved. Haven't tracked my food the past three weeks-
    Hip and knee are not happy- I am sure it is the hills we are going on. No problem when I walk with my friend at either park(both are flat).
    Going to try a lidocain patch for my hip and get the knee brace back out. Not going to stop me from walking-
    8 days straight of over 10,000 steps. last week I had 83,692 steps.
    At 7,600 already today and it is just 2PM.

Heading back to MIL's
    Dh got wifi set up and will set up Alexa and cameras inside this evening

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,601 Member
    So I will try brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar and roasted cauliflower with garlic. I am not much on cheese on my veggies. Did pick up two heirloom tomatoes at the grocery the other night. They taste so good!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Well poof i had a message all written out and away it went.. anyway had a nice indoor picnic with,my daughter,son in law,Carmine and Miles.it was really nice to be there with them ,Tracy got Miles to sleep and grandma laid on the couch and let him sleep on me and then changed him he was ready to roll.
    It was a really nice day.
    Have found that the air quality without the a.c. on isnt great so i finally broke down and turned it on..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,332 Member
    No work today so did the Peak 10 Cardio Interval Burn DVD then went for a walk around the block. Baked a loaf of sourdough bread, will let another loaf rise. I want to make sourdough waffles so I need the discard. No plans for tomorrow.

Barbara – many years ago I had a hemmerhoidectomy and they gave me pain pills. I never used them – didn’t feel I needed them. Vince kept asking me “did you take a pill, did you take a pill”. Then I started to wonder if somehow I was hurting myself by not taking them. So I called the MD office and they told me that if I didn’t need the pain pill, not to use it. So I didn’t

Terri – have a nice visit

Lisa – glad you don’t have COVID. Get better fast

Spent the night with Shadow last night. She really is a lover.

Okra – I only like the red okra – less slimy

Went in the pool, had dinner, then took a walk around the block and played mahjongg while dipping my feet in the spa

Rita – fun pics, love the hat

Lisa – Cory sounds like something I’d do to Vince. Only most of the time I don’t even tell him. I love all veges, but no sauce or butter or anything. I want to taste the veggie – not the sauce.

Deb – awesome walking!

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    edited July 2022
    Regarding beds, mattresses etc.

I have a firm mattress, which is great, but recently I bought a body pillow and dug out the large V-shaped pillow I bought when I had my deviated septum corrected. One is on one side of me, and the other on the other side. I've been sleeping so soundly with those pillows on either side. And I don't have hip or knee pain because the pillows allow me to sleep in a comfortable position.

Regarding veggies

I love most veggies except peppers. Peas and peanuts don't sit well with me, and I only like fresh raw tomatoes. Although, there are many veggies I haven't tried, so who knows.
    And of course, I strongly dislike mushrooms but they're not a vegetable.

We get frozen veggies, like Barbie does, and we also grow quite a few things. We eat them plain or maybe with a sprinkling of herbs. I was adding salt, but I need to cut back on that so I'm relearning to enjoy the taste of the veggies themselves.

We regularly eat legumes, chickpeas, green beans, kidney beans, lentils, broad beans, snow peas, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, various greens like the green leafy part of beets, onions, chives, leek, carrots, radishes of a couple different sorts, potato, sweet potato, turnips, pumpkin, squash, corn, zucchini, cucumber, lettuces, spinach, tomato, corn ...

We occasionally eat asparagus, aubergine, beets, capers

I would eat parsnips as well, but my husband doesn't like them.

At lunch I eat one package of steamfresh veggies with rice and chicken.

1ks4chg4x7uq.png

ff8e084h04x3.png

At dinner, we usually have a mixture of frozen veggies and something we've grown in our garden.

Regarding beets ... I find them a bit too sweet for regular consumption. But I find many veggies to be on the sweet side, which is why I was salting them. Maybe I just need to embrace the sweetness.

Regarding cauliflower ... that's one of the veggies recommended for people with CKD. So I want to try growing some and when I have a bit more time, I'd like to explore various recipes with cauliflower. It's one of my favourite veggies as it is, but I might be able to do more with it.

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited July 2022
    Can't think of a veg I don't like. Love all of them. DH insists on a green vegetable with almost every meal. I sometimes get away with making a green salad. A lot we eat plain, but I do like a good oil. My French dressing is heaven.
    We have a lot of plant based meals.

I'm going to test myself for covid before breakfast this morning. Feeling a bit 'coldy', and so is DH. There were a lot of colds on the ship and some covid. In a strange way, I'm kind of hoping it is covid, because we are the only people we know who haven't had it and the waiting is limiting our lives somewhat. The Omicron has been mild for everyone I know. DH has had 4 jabs.

Last night DH came up the stairs to bed crying. He had just got an email to say his best and oldest friend had died.
    Of course, he hadn't been in touch with him for well over a year, maybe two, despite my mentioning it now and again. ;) The poor man's wife had Alzheimers. His friend was deeply eccentric, but a lovely man. He had diabetes which affected his toes, went into hospital, had a heart attack there. He did come out, but with a weakened heart. The wife is not going to be told as she is now in a home and severely demented.
    What a very sad end and what is it with men that DH was not aware of any of the recent developments. In recent years his friend never initiated contact as he was under such stress with his wife.

I'm going to make a cup of tea in a little while. DH woke up at 5 with cramp, but wanted to go back to sleep. First, the testing ...........

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,812 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    edited July 2022
    We went shopping this afternoon and came back with:
    - 12 small geraniums
    - four small English box
    - two small lemon thyme
    - a medium-sized lavender that was on sale
    - a Lapin cherry tree
    - a dwarf lemon
    - and a Bosc pear tree

Plus seeds: lettuce, cauliflower, oregano and stevia

I've read that the lettuce and cauliflower may do all right in a shady area, and I've got a shady area I've been debating what to do with. It's hard to find lettuce here right now so my husband has some going and I'll try to get a different kind going.

We also stopped by fruit and veg market and picked up a lot of fruit and veg ... and also cauliflower gnocchi and spinach gnocchi. I'm not a massive fan of gnocchi, but we'll see what these ones are like.

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2022
    <3 Speedy recovery, Heather and Johnny!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Heather and Johnny- get well soon.
    Spoke with my dear friend Jen i dont remember if i told you or not,her husband had multiple myeloma and has been fighting it for quite awhile he is about a week or so away from ending the battle and I feel so bad for her and her 2 boys they are 19 and 17 but still ,wish we lived closer ,they are in N.H.
    He is only 50 ..and such a good guy.. it just breaks my heart..
    Didn't sleep well at all last night,and started back taking an iron pill,thats wrecking havoc on my stomach. I'll have to pick up some prunes lol,oh by the way those worked for Miles lol.... he woke up and got to see the fireworks out his parents window last night before going back to sleep.