WaistAways Team Chat - JULY 2022

Replies

• CarolAnnM2
    CarolAnnM2 Posts: 1,073 Member
    @Shawtytel you should be proud of yourself! Great job over the holiday weekend.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,119 Member
    Last call for week one steps if @Kali225 is back from holidays and reporting in (June 26-July 2)...

I am wiped! Even though it's not a holiday in Canada our company gave us a four day long weekend, so we were off today as well. I have a Peloton challenge that runs Mon-Mon and I was behind on rides so I did two of them this morning and then I organized a "walking food tour of Airdrie" for Brad and I. We did over 5 miles and stopped at a few places along the way for drinks / lunch / snacks. All tracked and on plan, but lots of fun.

I've also been tidying a bit as my brother gets into town from Montreal on Friday for a two week stay. Haven't had a houseguest now for a while (Mom no longer counts now that she's living here) so there feels like a lot to get ready for!

7/3 exercise:
    46 minutes Peloton + 5171 steps
  • ashleycarole86
    @micki48

I see your green showing up on the habit tracker - way to go.
    you know your limits right now and you have set attainable goals within that.
    Biting off more than we can chew is just a recipe for feeling badly about ourselves. It's good to start with something that's challenging but reasonable, build a bit of success, and go from there. You sound like you've done exactly that which is great.

On that note there are tons of people on the habit tracker this month which is awesome!!

• CarolAnnM2
    CarolAnnM2 Posts: 1,073 Member
    @jan110144 Way to go! It can only be of benefit to Habit Track.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,004 Member
    It looks like tracking is the theme of the week! Let's head into Tracking Tuesday with weigh-ins from:
    @Kali225
    @JEB03253

one more Monday person to go:
    @MoonlitMuse

I made it into the big city, had some unbelievably delicious sweet potato fries (not planned, but logged and somewhere close to OK), picked up the taller half at the airport, made it home, and I'm ready for some zzzzzzzzzs
  • ashleycarole86
    Sounds like a whirlwind @jugar

Hope all the Americans had a lot of fun celebrating 4th of July! Any good stories?

Thought I might be off tomorrow (hot air balloon ride re-attempt) but the weather has caused a cancellation again, so I'm off to the office. Time for sleep!
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Re: 4th July, Independence Day was on TV again last night so we started watching it. Always loved that movie. That's about it for us in the UK lol.

I finished work early yesterday to get in a trip to the allotment; the next area (which includes bed 6 and the paths either side) is dug over and I did some more weeding around the onions/garlic. Pelvic floor physio last night went well; we're going 2 months between appointments which is a sign that things are going in the right direction. I called in at the supermarket on the way back for some soft drinks (friend drank a lot!) but didn't buy any food, so still successful on that front. I did binge on stuff we already had at home during the day and stopped myself part way though - I need to address the root cause which (yesterday/today) is anxiety about work. I'm worried about not getting tasks done, so I procrastinate, which means I definitely don't get them done and I stress more. I would say I'm normally a logical person but this makes zero sense!

Training was also good this morning, with initially no sign of the hip/glute complaint, then as we got further into the session it started showing up. We are further along in the rehab process than expected though, so if I continue to progress at this rate we'll be laughing. We did a good warmup then focused on the back squat - good for the glute/hip issue. One of the things we're exploring is a lower grip on the bar, as I always have it high. I find the low grip uncomfortable when I'm standing, but fine for actually squatting, and I can really feel my core/back working with that low grip, so I walked away feeling pretty strong this morning.

Today I'm planning to drink 2L water and I'd like to avoid a binge - eating only if my stomach rumbles so I'm sure I'm hungry - if possible. In the evening I'm going to mark out bed 6 and start any extra soil prep needed for the beans; if the work isn't too significant, I will plant them tonight. I was going to do peas too, but have those as seeds so will need to check that it's not too late to plant.
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    180.4 cw

That was my weigh in Sat. I could not get into the app at all, I thought maybe it was bad service because we were on the road early, but it turns out it was the app, I still can't get it working on my phone. I uninstalled, and reinstalled, and nothing. I will try again today.

I was a little disappointed I didn't get below the 180 but there is always next week.

I am meeting with my dr today about weight loss, and mental health. There is a drug called Contrave it is a mix of 2 drugs, one of which is an anti-depressant that I have used in the past, the other is a very small amount of a drug that is used for people with addiction problems, it's supposed to kill cravings or something to that affect... But we are going to discuss all of them and see what we think might be best for me.

We had a nice long weekend, but I'm glad to be back to my regularly scheduled program.
  • jugar
    Happy Tuesday!
    DD265 wrote: »
    Today I'm planning to drink 2L water and I'd like to avoid a binge - eating only if my stomach rumbles so I'm sure I'm hungry - if possible.

I hope your Tuesday is going well - on the subject of feeling hungry, there is one thing that helps me actually like that feeling and wait for it to come on. You know when you are lifting weight and you give that big exhalation to help power the lift? You get nice and empty of air, your abs and pelvic floor tighten up, the diaphragm is in its highest position, giving your organs more space and your muscles more tone to help support everything? There is a ton of power in emptying your lungs completely. Blow out all the way to the absolute limit and stay there a few seconds - stand up strong, and feel all those great muscles. Then associate that feeling with having your stomach empty of food for periods of time. The stomach gets smaller, out of the way, gets a rest, and you feel strong. Obviously not if you wait TOO long!! But just connecting the power of the empty lungs and the power of the empty stomach helped me get over that weird fear of feeling hungry. I know I have posted about this before, but give it a try. When you are thinking about that snack and you are not really hungry, exhale. Really dig deep. While you are empty, fix your posture, feel the wonderful muscles tightening around your entire core. Feel all that power. Do it a couple of times. Then maybe your strength to resist the snack will be reinforced. Give it a try and tell us if it works for you.

Enjoy the day, everyone!
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member

I am meeting with my dr today about weight loss, and mental health. There is a drug called Contrave it is a mix of 2 drugs, one of which is an anti-depressant that I have used in the past, the other is a very small amount of a drug that is used for people with addiction problems, it's supposed to kill cravings or something to that affect... But we are going to discuss all of them and see what we think might be best for me.

My husband was using Contrave and the vivid dreams he ended up having made it too much for him to handle. It accesses a part of the brain to control cravings in a similar way that Chantix does to help to quit smoking. The vivid dreaming is a result of the stimulation.

I've been using Xenical (orlistat) fat absorption inhibitor for the past few months and have had only very mild side effects so now hubby has switched to it as well. It's not for people who have had gall bladder issues though, so if you've had yours removed or have had issues, it's not for you.

Definitely have that discussion with your doctor, if cravings are your issue that makes you cave into bad choices, Contrave is the way to go. I don't have cravings as much as portion control issues so Xenical was the best choice to prevent calorie absorption when I overdid it, and I could realize and make changes the next time I ate that food to avoid the 'side effects'.
  • Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 598 Member
    @ashleycarole86 sorry sorry, late on steps. I tried to upload from my phone at the beach on Sunday but it wouldn't attach the screenshot from fitbit. Annoying. Here they are below - okay to miss stats for this week but want you to have them for July overall.

sun 6/26: 12,388 + 0.5 mile jog (5mph pace or 12 min mile), 40 min yoga, 10 min boxing cardio
    mon: 11,773 + 0.5 mile, 36 min full body aerobics & strength
    tues: 17,135 +0.5 mile, 30 min lower body barre & cardio
    wed: 17,952 + 20 min abs, 5 min yoga
    thurs: 12,563 + 17 min yoga, 20 min arm strength
    fri: 10,919 + 56 min total body HIIT
    sat: 13,990

I think I overdid it on steps as the foot was really singing by the end of the week. Maybe the ocean water helped over the weekend because it feels good now.

@jugar I will weigh-in tomorrow morning, wasn't home in time for my own scale today!

@YinxFed happy late birthday!!

still catching up on posts but seeing great things in the habit tracker! I definitely got my walks in and one workout, but no time for yoga while away. still pleased with what I did, especially when I said I was going to do my 20 min lower body workout and my friend said "I can't believe you're going to motivate to workout now. I'm so tired." after a day on the boat.
  • jugar
    Kali225 wrote: »
    still catching up on posts but seeing great things in the habit tracker! I definitely got my walks in and one workout, but no time for yoga while away. still pleased with what I did, especially when I said I was going to do my 20 min lower body workout and my friend said "I can't believe you're going to motivate to workout now. I'm so tired." after a day on the boat.
    This is so good! It is always exciting to feel how much more energy there is once the exercise becomes a habit. Well done!
  • jugar
    Weigh-in update - everyone still due through Wednesday:
    @MoonlitMuse
    @Kali225
    @JEB03253
    @KellyBgetsFit

Thanks!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    Logged all my food. Even the ugly part. Yep had ice cream. But hey I logged. Had plenty of water but am actually thirsty now. Hit my step goal. Took a walk with the little one and OH and got caught in the rain 🌧 😂
  • ashleycarole86
    Also wanted to acknowledge I completely dropped the ball in posting June week 4 / month end stats. I got busy and then it was just way too late.

ANYWAY.. on that note, thanks to everyone for tracking in June. The five of us that participated walked nearly 1.4 million steps!

Also wanted to acknowledge that @YinxFed had an amazing last week of June - biggest week of her month, doubled her pledge 3 of the 7 days.

Again, apologies for the miss and thanks to everyone who participates on a monthly basis. It truly motivates me to push harder out there!

7/4 exercise:
    78 minutes Peloton
    17,046 steps
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2022
    @jugar I'll have to think about the breathing thing... I tend to inhale to support my core, so whilst I can see what you're saying I can't 'feel' it without picking up a barbell :D

@micki48 it's hard when other people feed us, or make suggestions. I can usually turn down a McDonalds the first time, but it's like a seed is planted, and you can guarantee that within a week I'll have been.

I did go down the allotment last night and the beans are planted. Turns out I'd ended up with dwarf French beans (I bought them because they were cheap!) and they shouldn't need staking. Kind of a pity as I like the bamboo cane pyramid look, lol, but it saved me a job. I've told OH I need a hand there tonight and we'll get the brassica cage done. It's not too late to plant peas (from seed) and there's plenty of space in this bed so I'll do that too hopefully.

I've pre-tracked today's food, and am once again reminded that there are plenty of calories for reasonable portions of anything I want. I have a therapy session later, otherwise my plans are work and allotment. OH is working tomorrow evening, then I'm away from Friday morning, so we'll try to spend some quality time too, probably in front of the TV with Spock - Kirk is only a lap cat when it's cold!
This discussion has been closed.