60 yrs and up

Replies

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Older member of mfp, thinking of doing low carbs any tips anyone ?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    edited July 2022
    @AnnPT77 Axe throwing? Seriously? That's so awesome! And speaks well of your upper body strength from rowing :)

I was surprised: It doesn't take a large amount of strength. The axes used were small (but very pointy!), probably less than 5 pounds as a guess? The throwing was more reliant on technique (how you *kitten* and follow through) plus staying relaxed. I think most average people could do it.
    @BCLadybug888 have fun with the grandkids today :)

I have an all-day dragon boat clinic today with a coach coming from out of town to train us (out of town = expert LOL). My lunch is packed. My gear is packed. And I was up an hour before my alarm went off. Can you tell I'm excited?

That sounds so fun, @ridiculous59! Some of the most fun I've ever had as a grown-up has been at rowing camps, and this sounds similar. Expert coaching is great, the camaraderie is wonderful, and . . . interesting, fun people seem to do these kinds of not-so-mainstream hobbies. Let us know how it goes, maybe?
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    Well the dragon boat padddling clinic was great. We paddled two hours in the morning and then the same again after lunch. The coach had been taking video of us in the morning and we watched that while eating lunch as she reviewed our individual techniques. It's funny the bad habits that you pick up over time. But not surprising when you consider that we weren't in the boat at all in 2020 and only for a very short while in 2021 (due to COVID). Several of us stopped for dinner together before heading home so yes, it was a good day of laughter, exercise, learning, food, and a glass of wine. The best kind of day :)

@alteredsteve175 Fifteen pounds by year end is a respectable goal. Enjoy your getaway weekend :)

I'm still fighting with a pesky extra 10 pounds that are above my "happy weight". When I had 90 pounds to lose and I heard people say how hard the last few pounds were to lose I'll admit, I rolled my eyes. But now I get it. I read somewhere that maintenance is about gaining and losing the same five pounds over and over again. I've been at this since 2013 and I think that's a pretty good descriptor. The moment I stop being vigilant, BAM!, I've gained a couple of pounds. But I sure have learned alot about myself throughout this journey!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 Axe throwing? Seriously? That's so awesome! And speaks well of your upper body strength from rowing :)

I was surprised: It doesn't take a large amount of strength. The axes used were small (but very pointy!), probably less than 5 pounds as a guess? The throwing was more reliant on technique (how you *kitten* and follow through) plus staying relaxed. I think most average people could do it.
    @BCLadybug888 have fun with the grandkids today :)

I have an all-day dragon boat clinic today with a coach coming from out of town to train us (out of town = expert LOL). My lunch is packed. My gear is packed. And I was up an hour before my alarm went off. Can you tell I'm excited?

That sounds so fun, @ridiculous59! Some of the most fun I've ever had as a grown-up has been at rowing camps, and this sounds similar. Expert coaching is great, the camaraderie is wonderful, and . . . interesting, fun people seem to do these kinds of not-so-mainstream hobbies. Let us know how it goes, maybe?

🤣🤣🤣

Just realized I got kitten-filtered because MFP thought I was using a bad word, but I was really using a perfectly sensible word in this context: "C*ck", a term quite respectably used for chambering the axe-head back against one's shoulder, with elbow pointing skyward, in preparation for the throw. Also a respectable term for a rooster, but a slang term for . . . something else, thus kitten-ed on MFP!

🤣🤣🤣
  • donbonsully
    donbonsully Posts: 5 Member
    I am new to this post. I’m just curious what is kittened on MFP?
  • AnnPT77
    I am new to this post. I’m just curious what is kittened on MFP?

There's a list of words that MFP considers to be inappropriate to use, mostly things that are considered swearing, sexual, or otherwise objectionable or impolite. If someone puts one of those words in a post, MFP replaces the word with "*kitten*".

So, in my previous post, I was talking about axe throwing, used the word "c*ck" in a totally innocent and respectable way (IMO), and MFP substituted "*kitten*" so it looked like this:

Evidently, that word I used is on the "inappropriate words" list, because it's also a slang term for a private body part.
  • tjharleygal55
    tjharleygal55 Posts: 479 Member
    @AnnPT77 😂🤣😂🤣😂
  • JackieWilson58
    JackieWilson58 Posts: 13 Member
    Accept but find what you enjoy doing - I like to walk as you notice what’s going on around you. Or get a bike? Decide what foods you can do without - and do without. It’ll start to go, the weight will. Just embrace it all. 60 is fabulous, it just doesn’t feel like that yet - but motivation is a great motivator :)
  • AnnPT77
    I've been thinking about the "exercise motivation" discussion we were having earlier. I'd mentioned my personal focus on picking things that are so fun I'd want to do them even if not good for me - which is true - but realized there really is more to the story. I don't know whether similar ideas would help others, but I'll take a chance and see.

There are days when I wake up that it would be easier to go back to sleep, instead of getting up and getting with it, and I realized that I do have some ways of gaming myself that do help me.

One of them is to create "appointment workouts" or social connection/obligation. I'd started getting active before I ever lost any weight, when I was obese. One thing I've done is to deliberately create a group of friends that row together in the summer. I coordinate the group, communicate with everyone, keep track of who's coming. Every year, when we have a new learn-to-row class, I help with the class, and at the end recruit people from the class to join our rowing-friends schedule. Often, we'll get one or two new people per season, just enough to overcome attrition or maybe even grow a little.

Thing is, this also creates an obligation to Be There, if I possibly can be. I'm meeting my friends at a specific time and place. (Bonus for me: I'm not a person who likes to hang out only and exclusively with people my own age - not that there's anything wrong with that, it just isn't me. Our rowing group gathers people of all adult ages who want to join in. That adds to my fun!).

So, on the days when I didn't sleep well or something, this friend-connection stuff is that little extra prod that gets me out of bed and packing my stuff to head for the river.

Pre-pandemic, I went to classes at the Y twice a week (spinning). That wasn't as strong a motivator as my rowing group, but still, having that "appointment" of a class I'd paid for, was a bit of a help in getting me to show up. Now, I take bike rides alone (in season) instead of spin class; I don't even try to do that first thing in the morning, which makes it easier for me to make it happen!

In addition, I started participating in a thread here where people report what their workout was that day. No one would nag me or "motivate" me if I didn't post there, but it's an aid to me in my self-motivation, and there is a little bit of pleasant social chat on the thread, too. (It's https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10705619/what-was-your-work-out-today#latest, but that's not the only thread or group of that general type.)

So, those are a couple of things that help me keep on track with being active, in addition to just choosing fun things that I truly want to do.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited July 2022
    Ann, nice that you added those extra motivating measures that help keep you active independent of 'feelings'. I found it helpful.
    Thank you 😊

My doctor retired last year, sigh. And my dentist (whom I loved, can you believe it??) at the beginning of this year.
  • ridiculous59
    On a more personal note: I'm going to whine a little. I went to my primary care doctor today for my routine 6-month check-in, the key point being review of blood test results and a re-up of my essential thyroid meds.

I knew this was going to happen sooner or later, but it's here: He's retiring! (He's some small number of years older than me, and he's been my doc since well before my breast cancer diagnosis in 2000, though I don't remember the exact year I started seeing him. Decades, though.)

He's always been super good about listening - really listening - to my concerns, responding with ideas, and about explaining things patiently when I had questions. Over the years, I've really learned to trust his advice, judgement, and experience, even though I know he's a regular human with failings like the rest of us.

I always figured I was a little bit of a thorn in his side. I have lots of questions, and I talk very fast whereas he's one of those more methodical people, so I felt like I kind of overwhelm or bulldoze him sometimes. But today, he said such nice things about the experience of being my doctor (!), that I guess maybe he does have some personal liking for me after all. He even gave me a hug (very gentle and polite!), and he's not really a huggy guy, usually a little bit formal.

I'm gonna miss him. I told him sincerely I hope he'll be very happy, of course. But, dang! ☹️

Finding a doctor that you connect with is no easy feat! Believe me when I say that I truly am sorry that yours is retiring. My doctor (who I rarely saw, but liked immensely) recently moved to a larger city so I know a little of what you're feeling 🙁
  • ridiculous59
    Having "activity appointments" works well for me too.

I retired shortly before the pandemic started. At the time most stores had to close and we were advised to have a social "bubble" of only a handful of people. A group of us who dragon boat paddled together started getting together to walk three times a week. After our walk, because coffee shops were closed, we would take our travel mug of coffee from home and set up camping chairs in a "socially distanced" circle in a park. And solve the problems of the world. There was still snow on the ground but we did it three times a week. Two years later it's morphed into a regular walking group and we still go out three times a week, but now we go somewhere indoors for coffee afterwards LOL We walk winter and summer for an hour, but sometimes we snowshoe instead.

My dragon boating is also an appointment that I always keep (unless I'm out of town or the weather cancels it). I'm on the club executive so feel I'm obligated to show up twice a week, though it isn't really an obligation because I love doing it.

My dogs require a walk or hike every day so that's another obligation that keeps me active.

And finally, I buy a season pass for cross country skiing and I'm frugal so I try to get in as many skiis as possible!

I fit in strength training and yoga in between the other things but because it's just something I do, and not something that's externally motivated by a class or group, I tend to slack off sometimes. So that's my proof that an external commitment works better for me.