Does MYFITNESSPAL adjust my Macros daily?

Options
I’m trying to do 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. I’ve noticed that my daily goals in grams is different every day. Why is that??

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Do you log exercise or have a device/tracker connected? If so those will change your total calorie goal for the day, and thus your total allowance of fat, protein, carbs. But the percentages should stay the same: meaning they should all increase.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    KellyAlane wrote: »
    I’m trying to do 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. I’ve noticed that my daily goals in grams is different every day. Why is that??

You are logging your exercise which in turn gives you more calories. Your macros make up your calories, so they would also go up in grams, but the overall % of the whole would stay the same. Your macros make up your calories...1 gram carb = 4 calories, 1 gram protein = 4 calories, 1 gram dietary fat = 9 calories.
  • KellyAlane
    KellyAlane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks that is helpful. Is there any way, besides disconnecting my tracker, to make my goals the same everyday?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Thanks that is helpful. Is there any way, besides disconnecting my tracker, to make my goals the same everyday?

Not really. MFP is designed to give you a weight loss target without any exercise. Exercise is unaccounted for in your activity level and thus not accounted for in your calorie target. Not accounting for exercise with additional calories can lead to an overly large and unhealthy calorie deficit. Part of what MFP's intentions are here is to help you understand your overall calorie needs which ultimately is beneficial in maintenance.

The only other way is to use the TDEE method for which you would customize your calorie target on MFP. Using the TDEE method you include an estimate of your weekly exercise along with your day to day hum drum in your activity level and thus get more calories to begin with. In this case you wouldn't want your tracker connected because you would be double dipping.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options

If you pay for premium, you can set your macro goals in grams, and have some explicit control of which macro the exercise calories are added to. For example, I set a fixed gram goal for protein and fat (which I treat as minimums), and add all exercise calories to carbs (because I don't care at all how many or few carbs I eat). Before you decide to pay for premium, though, make sure you understand whether the additional functions are worth it to you or not, though.