Rewards for Weight Loss?

GoRun2
GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
Do you reward yourself when you hit a big milestone but still have more to go? If so what do you have in mind?

A trip, massage, jewelry, mani/pedi, cheap new clothes that you don't mind if you shrink out of them?

Definitely not a food reward, that's part of how I got here in the first place.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    A pat on the back and more goals
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    I personally do not do that. I see nothing wrong with it, though. I am working more on establishing better habits and watching the scale trend down as I cont using them. I have done things to support/encourage these habits. I bought myself water bottles I like, food containers I like to take my lunch in, work out clothes instead of frumpy shorts and T shirt. These have encouraged me. But I didn’t set a certain goal to earn them.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 420 Member
    I kind of just justified getting myself a (used) Apple Watch. I got to my goal and want to maintain. I also justified new clothes when I got to goal! In between it was just a lot of sizes of pants and a couple trips to the thrift store for a few tops. But if you are goal-oriented that way, you can do what works for you. My huge reward if feeling so much better.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I don't do milestone rewards. I've always felt 'guilty' buying things for myself - and now I do my best to NOT feel bad about spending $ on me in ways that benefits my health & fitness journey. Like buying new running shoes, paying to sign up for a 5k/10k event, etc.
  • 3rdtimelosesit
    3rdtimelosesit Posts: 279 Member
    I'm going to reward myself with things I wouldn't normally buy. I've made big strides this past month and only 3 lbs away from a 20lb loss. So yesterday I bought myself this YETI wine cup. When I'm under my calorie count for the day, occasionally I enjoy a glass of wine. I like to savor it nice and slow. With this cup it will stay cold for longer.
    p1wzka68r5dm.png
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    No, I don't do rewards for weight loss because for me weight-loss is not the goal, the goal is the optimal lifestyle that will result in obtaining and maintaining a healthy weight.

I invest freely in awesome things that make that lifestyle easier and more enjoyable. So I never question buying athletic clothes/gear, cooking tools, quality ingredientd, etc, anything that makes exercising and eating well a more enjoyable part of my lifestyle.

I cook everything from scratch and get exercise every day, so this is the most rational thing to invest in, because that's a huge part of my day-to-day life.

Being a lean weight is just something that happens as a result of my optimal lifestyle. It's basically unavoidable, so I don't make a big deal of it. I make a big deal of feeling good, strong and healthy.

That said, if you need rewards to get that lifestyle rolling, then do whatever works for *you*. I'm not sharing my experience to say you shouldn't line up weight-loss gifts for yourself, I'm just sharing what has worked for *me*.

We're all different, which is why it's good to share different approaches and perspectives.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    There was only one reward I gave myself on my weight loss journey: when I went from obese to overweight (25lbs into my weight loss journey) I bought myself an expensive Garmin fitness watch to replace a more basic step tracker I was using.
    It was about proving to myself that I was on the right path before making such an expensive purchase, to make sure it wouldn't be a gadget left in a drawer (like that step tracker had been, it had sat in a drawer for years before my weight loss journey). Successfully I might add, I wear my watch daily and it's an essential tool for me to keep track of my activity level and fitness and manage my weight.

No real rewards otherwise: whatever I could imagine as a reward, I couldn't see a reason for waiting:
    - a fun activity: well I deserve to have fun, why should that depend on a reaching a weight loss goal?
    - new clothes: if I need them because the old ones are too big, I wasn't going to walk around like a 'slob' for some number on the scale

It'll sound cheesy, but weight loss was a goal and a reward at the same time: how much easier some things became, being able to hike again, feeling more confident.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    There was only one reward I gave myself on my weight loss journey: when I went from obese to overweight (25lbs into my weight loss journey) I bought myself an expensive Garmin fitness watch to replace a more basic step tracker I was using.
    It was about proving to myself that I was on the right path before making such an expensive purchase, to make sure it wouldn't be a gadget left in a drawer (like that step tracker had been, it had sat in a drawer for years before my weight loss journey). Successfully I might add, I wear my watch daily and it's an essential tool for me to keep track of my activity level and fitness and manage my weight.

No real rewards otherwise: whatever I could imagine as a reward, I couldn't see a reason for waiting:
    - a fun activity: well I deserve to have fun, why should that depend on a reaching a weight loss goal?
    - new clothes: if I need them because the old ones are too big, I wasn't going to walk around like a 'slob' for some number on the scale

It'll sound cheesy, but weight loss was a goal and a reward at the same time: how much easier some things became, being able to hike again, feeling more confident.

Not cheesy at all, this is how I feel. Rebuilding my body's strength and function and getting my lean body back is a reward so huge it makes buying something pale in comparison.

• GoRun2
    I do reward myself sometimes. I bought a pair of shorts to walk in; a little shorter and baggy legs. I have shorts but these were better for walking. I bought a black jumpsuit for an event. I hope to shrink out of both of them. The reward was buying something fun that I didn't have to have. Now I'm doing more shopping in my closet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

100% that kind of thing, for me: The intrinsic rewards were pretty priceless. I was surprised, actually, how much better I felt . . . and that it didn't take getting all the way to goal weight to start reaping some of those benefits.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with planning extrinsic non-food rewards as you're thinking, OP, if that's motivating for you.

I admit, I did have a bit of a d'oh moment when something someone wrote here made me realize I missed out on rewarding myself with a new rowing shell when I hit goal weight ($$$!) - it would've been a good excuse to get a sleek new model into my already over-large boat collection. 🤣 (We're talking human powered boats here: Canoes, kayak, rowing shells.)
  • Goodfelines
    Goodfelines Posts: 25 Member
    I reward myself every 10lb loss. I picked things I want but don't need urgently, with my BIG end of the road prize being family pictures.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    edited July 2022
    I've started rewarding myself for consistency rather than weight loss. Have I tracked all my food and remained in a calorie deficit this month? If so, I reward myself. I picked this up from a blogger, and I think it's much more motivating than rewards for weightloss. Consistency is 100% (well, maybe 95%) within my control, whereas weight can plateau or be otherwise influenced by factors that are less under my direct control. It's also rewarding the behaviors I want to develop, and I like the mindset of that better. In terms of what - it's mostly health/fitness/cooking/wellness stuff. Last month I got myself myself a (used) airfryer!
  • GoRun2
    beabria wrote: »
    I've started rewarding myself for consistency rather than weight loss. Have I tracked all my food and remained in a calorie deficit this month? If so, I reward myself. I picked this up from a blogger, and I think it's much more motivating than rewards for weightloss. Consistency is 100% (well, maybe 95%) within my control, whereas weight can plateau or be otherwise influenced by factors that are less under my direct control. It's also rewarding the behaviors I want to develop, and I like the mindset of that better. In terms of what - it's mostly health/fitness/cooking/wellness stuff. Last month I got myself myself a (used) airfryer!

Thanks Beabria, good idea
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I use things to motivate me all the time. I mostly reward myself for my consistent efforts. I am on a 1 pound a week weight loss plan so I don’t see a lot of quick progress.

I wore out my old hiking boots and just bought new hiking shoes. Soon, I will be buying new gym shoes. I bought colorful leggings once. I bought tank tops for working out once. I do tend to buy dresses when I am working on losing weight but need something to wear. I can add a belt to a dress and it will fit for a long time.

I do use food/drink as a reward too but make sure it works with my diet. A lot of the drinks I make are zero calories. I might make a fancy sparkling water with lemon, cucumber, and mint. I make a lot of cold tea with a packet of stevia. Yesterday, I stopped for a diet cream soda. I might buy a kombucha. Yesterday, I made a bell pepper, cream cheese, pickled onion, and ham “sandwich” with a fruit bowl. I think it is easy to start eating the same things all the time and get bored with it. I very much try to plan something exciting.
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    I do like rewards- things I want but don't need and are not weight related. I tend to lose 5-6 pounds, go off the rails, and then re-lose the same 5 pounds again. But when I break through that cycle- its significant for me. Right now, I'm trying to get below 160. When I reach that, I'm going to buy myself a pair of shoes I've been wanting to splurge on for myself. Next up? Below 155- means a 10 percent weight loss and in normal BMI. Big progress- WHEN not if- I get there. Buying a purse.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited July 2022
    If it works for you - absolutely go for it!
    Here's why I don't: I was obese for a good bit of my life, Looking back, I realise the countless times I delayed or avoided wonderful things until 'after I lose weight.' That tropical vacay, a trip with friends, meeting new people or seeking romance, accepting invitations, buying trendy clothing or even enjoying a good restaurant were all things I eschewed waiting for 'after.' It took me years to figure out my time on this earth is too short to make life's little pleasures contingent on a number on a scale.

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    I’ve been through times when I needed a little prize to help keep me motivated. A cute purse or some new earrings would be something to look forward to at the end of the week.

And honestly, I am currently having to buy new clothes often enough that it’s about a weekly prize lol.

But whatever works for you, to keep you motivated and moving when you just don’t want to, go for it. I think everyone has days when they muddle through and maybe a little prize will help keep you motivated.
  • creesama
    creesama Posts: 125 Member
    edited July 2022
    I do, but I’m doing it on a consistency basis. Right now, my focus is on establishing exercise routines into my days. Weekly I work towards a reward and every 4 weeks I make it a bigger reward.
    Example: Week 1 44oz “refresher” from our local soda shop (fun flavored water) Week 2 nail polish Week 3 a sticker for my water bottle Week 4 Manicure Week 5 socks Week 6 bath bomb Week 7 farmers market visit without my kids lol Week 8 New headphones/pods.
    I dunno, keeps me motivated and establishing habits rather than watching the scale which is so variable
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I don’t personally believe in external reward systems; they are a throwback to behaviorism (punishment and reward), which turns out to seriously undermine internal motivation. I am deserving of all the love I can give myself, which includes spending my own time and money on things that bring me pleasure. What I do instead is focus (and write) about my journey and the reasons I want to maintain a healthy life. Some of those are seriously important: I want to live to see my toddler grandchildren grow up; others are more petty (my wedding ring is tight.) I pay attention to my body and celebrate how much closer my legs are to my chest during some yoga postures and that I can now wear my favorite jeans.