Taste buds of a 3 yr old

tbrightmc
tbrightmc Posts: 1 Member
Starting this journey again, for what seems like the 123,987,456 time. I am a 39 yr old mother of 4 daughters. I was raised on fast food and an continuing that with my children, and I hate it! However, I do not want to give my girls eating disorders. I have two that are naturally very thin and two that are taking after their momma. It doesn't help that myself and now them were never truly exposed to "healthy" foods. I literally have the eat the same things, chicky nuggets and fries everyday mentality. I need recipes that are quick and kid friendly! Thanks!

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I would suggest starting small, trying to overhaul everything at once can be overwhelming.

Bowl of oranges and apples on the counter, and a bunch of grapes in the fridge for snacks.
    Maybe try roasting some carrots of sweet potato wedges instead of fries.

What kind of thing do you/they like to eat? Will the children eat veg at all, or just never tried? That will help to make better suggestions.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    If you're wanting to improve all of your diets, then I'd steer clear of "kid friendly" searches.

Start small and set the example. Don't make a big deal of it and don't turn it into a battle.

As the previous poster said, start leaving out fruit and have fresh veggies ready in the fridge. Serve those along with your current meals and see what everyone likes and what they don't. Encourage everyone to try everything a couple of times, including yourself.

Some people don't like raw veggies, but roasted or cooked in an air fryer are tasty.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Get your kids involved. Start slowly. Have them help make a big salad to go with the chicky nuggets. My kids loved to help in the kitchen and they were able to taste things as they cut or snapped them. Usually after making something g they LOVED it and all of the ingredients because they were a part of it.

Then look through cookbooks and take them shopping with you. It’s easier than you think to get them in a healthier mindsetwhile they are young.
  • docconnie
    docconnie Posts: 5 Member
    When my daughter was a toddler she wanted baked chicken fillets and little "trees" (oven roasted broccoli) for everything meal. Now loves roasted
    chicken and carrots, broccoli, asparagus, or butternut squash added to her Mac and cheese. You can buy these fresh but the butternut squash frozen is easier. I still can't get her to eat fresh cucumbers or tomatoes. She picks them out of salads.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    https://www.feastforafraction.com/sheet-pan-chicken-drumsticks-and-vegetables/
    Google easy sheet pan recipes. Usually quick to prepare. Often hands off once in oven. No stirring, etc.
    After school snack= bugs on a log= quick, easy, fun for kids to learn to make.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2022
    I second the idea to get them involved. You didn't state their ages but scroll through recipes here and other sites on the internet and print them out. Start easy, focusing on meals that have 6 ingredients or less. Let the supermarket help you out by choosing frozen bags of mixed veggies (More healthy than fresh. Really!) rather than chopping. I'd suggest things like a stir fry (a protein, mixed frozen veggies, some spices/soy sauce, and a pasta or rice) and simple casseroles served with a bagged salad. Have your kids pick out the recipes that look good to THEM and have them help you cook their favorite. Their pride in their accomplishment should help them enjoy the meal more plus you are teaching them to cook a healthy meal.
  • mariapuente
    mariapuente Posts: 1 Member
    I am the same way. I am very picky. I am trying to learn to eat vegetables but I cannot for the life of me like it. I have an 8 year old boy who is following down my footsteps and trying not to have it for him. We do the fruits and he loves that, but its the other stuffthat I worry about .
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,382 Member
    Children can eat pretty much everything that adults do. have you looked into making your dinners cheerful? Veggies in various colours, like yellow paprica, carrots, red beets, sweet potato, tomatoes, something green, etc? Do you have good local produce available? If so there might be a few cookbooks that have very colourful, if mostly vegetarian recipes (well, you can always add meat or fish). I really like the books by Josh McFadden for example even though many dishes are more like salads.