Coronavirus prep

Replies

• BuellerFerrisBueller
    BuellerFerrisBueller Posts: 35 Member
    Am I the only one who has gone over 2 years without consuming any junk food or restaurant food? Unhealthy foods weaken the immune system and promote inflammation.

While I'm all for vaccines, face masks, and physical distancing, these precautions don't go far enough. During the course of this pandemic, nutritional immunology NEVER made it into the national dialogue, not even when a study showed that those with higher quality diets were at lower risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19.

Are nutritional deficiencies and junk food sacred?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Progress towards normality in the UK. Visiting the care home yesterday the Assistant manager of the day was saying she can't wait till all restrictions are removed, looking forward to how things used to be, something we've not experienced. She went on to say when one visits a hospital now unless you have respiratory issues it is no longer required for one to wear masks. I should have asked what kind of respiratory issue was being referred to, a person with asthma for instance as a way of self protection or someone who could possibly be showing symptoms of covid,

I'd be masked anyway with a military grade filter because of my chemical sensitivity, its come back again. Its no fun reacting to cleaning products be they household or personal, laundry products or someone's perfume or aftershave. Then there are the pollens too. Even the smoke from someone burning garden rubbish or local heath fires to scuffing through deep damp leaf litter in the autumn! I suppose the last three are sort of related to petrochemicals which is another. I'm not that badly off that its each and every smell but its the knowing it can happen anywhere from passing next doors washing lines to being further away from someone in the open than the early early covid distancing required. I don't feel as self-conscious wearing a mask now thanks to covid. True I still get looked at but am assumed to be overly careful but not some odd ball now.

Sorry to hear about your chemical sensitivity coming back. Mine has gotten much better since I first got sick in 1999, but one thing that still bothers me is fabric softener, specifically, if I walk by a house where someone is using conventional fabric softener in their clothes dryer and it vents out into the air. The smell can actually spread for quite a distance.

I have no need for fabric softener myself, but people who would like to be considerate to their neighbors and passers-by can learn more and consider these alternatives:

https://zerowastememoirs.com/natural-alternatives-to-fabric-softener/
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    @ahoy_m8 Keeping you and your family in my thoughts! Please keep us updated and stay hopeful. That's a whole lotta stuff to worry about. :(

This is so kind. Thank you. Today they get monoclonal antibody infusions at 3. I'm hopeful. <3

And yes with the fabric softener! I'm not sensitive but I definitely smell it in the air when walking past a house that uses it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    It seems it can travel under another name beginning I think with, T, it might just be in our vaccines again after all this time. If anyone can enlighten me, please tell me I'm wrong and worrying about nothing.

Thiomersal

https://www.ncirs.org.au/sites/default/files/2018-12/thiomersal-fact-sheet.pdf

This is Australian based but probably still useful info for anyone anywhere .

is also not a new article so does not include Covid vaccines

However https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-covid-vaccine-ingredients-idUSKBN2AQ2SW - would appear they do not contain any thiomersal.

Pretty sure it's thimerosol, unless this is a thing like aluminum and aluminium, where the same thing has slightly different names in different English-speaking countries.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    Well the articles I linked spelt it like I did so that is the spelling in Australia and UK at least. ( one article from each)
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    edited July 2022
    Am I the only one who has gone over 2 years without consuming any junk food or restaurant food? Unhealthy foods weaken the immune system and promote inflammation.

While I'm all for vaccines, face masks, and physical distancing, these precautions don't go far enough. During the course of this pandemic, nutritional immunology NEVER made it into the national dialogue, not even when a study showed that those with higher quality diets were at lower risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19.

Are nutritional deficiencies and junk food sacred?

I can't say I've gone 2 years without consuming junk food or restaurant food, but, I do think you have a point. It really concerns me how much unhealthier the average person's lifestyle got during shutdowns. I read somewhere that the average American gained 29 pounds during shutdowns. I know people who developed alcohol problems or ate their way into type 2 diabetes during shutdowns. We have to think about the long-term effects of all this if we're going to factor in total deaths. There seems to be a huge disconnect with people when it comes to their diet and health. People really convinced themselves it was healthy to sit on the couch ordering takeout for months on end when really this should have been a wakeup call for anyone with diet-related conditions to eat healthier and lose weight if necessary. Also it likely would not have been anywhere near as destructive or needed such an extreme response if we didn't have a crisis of obesity and lifestyle-related illnesses.
    Have you had it? Did you know any long-haulers? I know some and they're all ages. Not old. Not elderly and they did not have any underlying conditions. They do now. It's like having mono. They're tired and worn out. I'm talking high school kids with a track and field career who can't do it anymore. The side effects have lingered on and on.

I'm vaccinated but just wondering: why does the demographic profile of the average COVID long-hauler more closely match the demographic profile of people most likely to get a psychosomatic illness, rather than the profile of people most likely to have severe COVID symptoms?