Husband is eating all my food

2»

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,575 Member
    I have been reading this thread the last few days and it seems there is a lot more going on here than someone eating up the stinky fish. People are so worried about OP’s spouse “stealing” food (in this case literally 5 day old fish ) that they suggest labeling it as stool samples or locking it up instead of agreeing to the spouse’s offer to go out and get fresh fish? Y’all need to up your calorie alottments on MFP bc that sounds hangry! :smile:
    Personally, I would have been grateful not to come home to old fish in the refrigerator, and while under normal circumstances I would say the spouse should replace the food he ate, if it is something that was going bad it is reasonable to think that the person traveling had intended to eat it before her trip and didnt have a chance to, and that he is doing a good thing by not letting food go to waste.
    Maybe part of the solution could be that since the couple is married and they both like to eat healthy according to OP they could shop for and plan/prep healthy meals together. That way there would not be “my” food and “his” food stashed and labeled and eaten separately as if they are roommates. Maybe OP could even score a meal waiting for her at home when she gets back from her trip if she and her spouse were sharing food or at least sharing planning/shopping for food or at the very least knowledge of what is in the fridge.

💯
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    You say you prepped your meal with the salmon in mind. You could let him know you’re disappointed, but why not take him up on going to get another piece of salmon? Or eat something else?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Sure, it is a road block or an issue to resolve - and use counselling to do so if getting stuck sorting it yourselves - but not sure it is really marriage ultimatum time :o

Yeh, I thought that too. Definitely needs some communication and listening, compromise, some sort of solution but ready to 'leave me food alone or leave?' JMO but if it came to that, there'd be a whole lot more going on.

Good Luck @ChickenKillerPuppy and hope something has gotten resolved for you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    Maybe part of the solution could be that since the couple is married and they both like to eat healthy according to OP they could shop for and plan/prep healthy meals together. That way there would not be “my” food and “his” food stashed and labeled and eaten separately as if they are roommates. Maybe OP could even score a meal waiting for her at home when she gets back from her trip if she and her spouse were sharing food or at least sharing planning/shopping for food or at the very least knowledge of what is in the fridge.

That only works if
    they like eating the same foods
    they both want to do meal prep
    they are on the same work schedules to eat at same time

I'm sure OP doesnt buy all her own food separately - since in fact she said she often buys double so there is some for him too and that he doesnt usually like salmon.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    If it were me and I saw salmon sitting in the fridge 5 days (and I actually liked salmon, which I don't), I can imagine I'd eat it before it went bad. Five days is a long time to leave fish refrigerated rather than frozen, after all.

Maybe try labels with the date you plan to eat each important item and make a deal with him not to touch things until that date has passed? If you put a label on that salmon like "Saturday dinner" then hubby will know it's off limits until then but come Sunday, it's fair game.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »
    If it were me and I saw salmon sitting in the fridge 5 days (and I actually liked salmon, which I don't), I can imagine I'd eat it before it went bad. Five days is a long time to leave fish refrigerated rather than frozen, after all.

Maybe try labels with the date you plan to eat each important item and make a deal with him not to touch things until that date has passed? If you put a label on that salmon like "Saturday dinner" then hubby will know it's off limits until then but come Sunday, it's fair game.

OP never says the salmon was in the refrigerator. It could have been canned. It could have been frozen (obvs wouldn't want to start with frozen for a quick dinner if it was a filet, but I think there are frozen patties you can cook from frozen). It could be cured and vacuum packed and shelf stable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »

OP never says the salmon was in the refrigerator. It could have been canned. It could have been frozen (obvs wouldn't want to start with frozen for a quick dinner if it was a filet, but I think there are frozen patties you can cook from frozen). It could be cured and vacuum packed and shelf stable.

Like others, I'd assumed we were talking about fresh raw salmon. I reread the OP and it does not specify, but does say “you let us sit there for 5 days..." To me, that eliminates canned or frozen. Sealed smoked salmon would have lasted longer than 5 days in the frig. But if fresh raw salmon, yeah, 5 days is too long to sit in the frig.

https://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/18245
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    You say you prepped your meal with the salmon in mind. You could let him know you’re disappointed, but why not take him up on going to get another piece of salmon? Or eat something else?

If I'm hungry and want to start cooking NOW, a trip to the store is going to add too much time. I'd make something else, but I'd be annoyed.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    I’d just simply tell him,”Babe, that (insert food name here) in the fridge is for my meal. Please don’t use it.”

I don’t think we have any kind of corner on the effective communication market, yet it works for us.

Simple and effective. But, my beloved is a babydoll.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    My husband and I each have some food items that we consider "ours"...either because of preference or dietary requirements. Most of our food is communal, though.

He will always ask me before he eats something that is either "mine" or communal and I do the same for "his" foods. He knows that I plan out our dinners for the week, so there's not going to be something like a random piece of fish in the fridge that has no planned purpose.

We even communicate on leftovers...he'll ask if I was planning on having the leftovers for lunch or if he should eat them. I do the same.

It's not hard to get on the same page with someone. Pretty simple communication on both sides would solve problems like this.