Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    @Hiawassee88 I hope she recovers quickly and safely. :(

The trouble with this virus is there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason who gets it and how badly, how long it lasts, what their symptoms will be, if the tests are accurate. News says Cruise lines don't even need to let it be known if Covid is on board or not. I hope I read that wrong. :( I flew, the end of May, no masks. You go shopping and you don't see the masking up anymore. And I'm as guilty as everyone else, especially during the hot summer. But I do keep my distance when I can. And I've had my 1st booster, probably time to look into my 2nd booster.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited July 2022
    I'm back and boosted UP. 😍 The Chief gave it to me. The head of the medical community. Why? Because he likes me and we visit. He told me this was his first time at it and he learned everything from utube. He remembered my first time with big tears running down my face. Today, he gave me two tissues and the floodgates opened. I blathered and foamed at the mouth. I told him about everything. I asked him all kinds of questions and he showed me the latest info. I told him about my CTC family members and how they keep haranguing me. You know what he said? Hotdogs give you those same consequences. He doesn't have a date for the tweaked version for the variant. We talked about families in general. When you lose the ones you love, what are you left with?

I feel like something has moved over inside of me, I think I have someone else's DNA. Definitely Native American. Rolling ROFL's.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    One of dh's golfing buddies just got Covid. As I mentioned in a previous post, my nephew and his family have it. And now President Biden.
    I just wonder why everyone has let their guard down(including me) :( I'm not looking forward to school starting up again, especially with many of the schools no longer requiring masks and the summer filled with people back from vacations.

Because fatigue for me. I mask up on public transportation and inside Ubers... I don't mask much anywhere else because I had covid 3 times and am boosted and vaxxed.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    One of dh's golfing buddies just got Covid. As I mentioned in a previous post, my nephew and his family have it. And now President Biden.
    I just wonder why everyone has let their guard down(including me) :( I'm not looking forward to school starting up again, especially with many of the schools no longer requiring masks and the summer filled with people back from vacations.

Because fatigue for me. I mask up on public transportation and inside Ubers... I don't mask much anywhere else because I had covid 3 times and am boosted and vaxxed.

So this thinking that you develop natural immunity to Covid is......wrong? :)

I got Covid about 3 months before vaccines were available, along with my dh. Neither of us is young and he's an overweight smoker. He said his felt like a bad cold and I was exhausted for a few days. He got it a 2nd time this last winter and said it felt like a bad cold. I self tested and evidently was negative(?). It really is an unpredictable thing, when it comes to who it's going to grab and grab good. :/
    We're both vaxxed and boosted.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

I got Covid about 3 months before vaccines were available, along with my dh. Neither of us is young and he's an overweight smoker. He said his felt like a bad cold and I was exhausted for a few days. He got it a 2nd time this last winter and said it felt like a bad cold. I self tested and evidently was negative(?). It really is an unpredictable thing, when it comes to who it's going to grab and grab good. :/

I really do think it's a roulette wheel for symptoms and severity as well as lasting effects.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited July 2022
    https://www.umms.org/coronavirus/covid-vaccine/facts/immunity
    https://www.science.org/content/article/more-people-are-getting-covid-19-twice-suggesting-immunity-wanes-quickly-some
    'The coronavirus acquired so many mutations that newer versions became more transmissible and able to evade immunity. You can catch a version of Omicron after recovering from an older, non-Omicron variant. You can even get sick with one of the newer Omicron subvariants after getting over a different version of it, multiple times in the unvaccinated and vaccinated.'

There was a blowout in the waiting room. Another CTC member was arguing with a waiting couple and the nurse. She said, I'm here to get the booster but I don't know why. I've had it before and the man said, but you didn't die, did you. Then it went on from there. He told her she could refuse, just go home and die.' A total cluster. We've all lost that lovin' feeling out here in the wild, wild west.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

As with vax immunity, the natural immunity wouldn't necessarily be expected to entirely prevent infection, rather we'd just hope for it to reduce severity next time. With the variants, though, that's not even a for-sure thing that severity would be less. Probably matters what our overall state of health is at time of infection, too - we all go through periods where we're better or worse nourished, rested, maybe recovering from some other thing, etc.
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    If natural immunity can't prevent you from getting COVID again because the virus mutates too quickly, then why would the vaccine work when it doesn't even expose you to the entire antigen?
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    Nobody claims the vaccine is perfect.

They did originally. They said it was over 95% effective originally which is about as close to perfect as you get with vaccines. Now they can't even give us a number. Also, remember they originally claimed COVID mutated slowly and mutations were not expected to significantly reduce the efficacy of the vaccine? Believe the science, whatever it is this week.
    Despite mutations in the virus it does reduce your chances of catching it and greatly reduce the chances of severe disease if you do

No vaccine reduces your chance of GETTING a virus. The virus will still get into your body either way. It just reduces your symptoms and the ability of the virus to replicate (if the vaccine is effective, that is). Of course in some viruses, as with dengue fever and the vaccine trials for the original SARS, being infected once actually makes the symptoms worse if you are infected again.