Does anyone else overeat/emotional eat due to anxiety?

HealthyTabata
HealthyTabata Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2022 in Social Groups
Hi everybody!

I've known for a long time that I'm an emotional eater, especially given my social anxiety. Since my teens, I've been ashamed of my weight and the more weight I gained, the more ashamed I became. Even talking to other people is a difficult task, for fear of being rejected/disliked. Today I am weighing 126.5kg (279lbs) and my anxiety has never been higher. I realized that I feel comfort from eating, I will eat whatever is in front of me at any time, just to make myself ignore my own feelings.

For the past two months I've been to the doctor and started a new diet, I'm in therapy, and last week I started taking medication to help me with my anxiety. I managed to lose some weight and I'm trying not to feel so overwhelmed with what's going on around me. Some days are easier than others, I want to focus on feeling better about myself.

I was wondering if anyone else feels the same way I do. And if anyone wants, you can add me, I would love to make new friends!

Replies

• Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Hey, how is it going with the new diet and meds?

I also eat whenever I am anxious, sad or depressed. I'm in a constant cycle of gaining and losing weight! The only saving grace is I like to exercise as well and that has probably saved me from being even bigger.

I do need to find other means of coping with my emotions that doesn't involve food
  • HealthyTabata
    HealthyTabata Posts: 3 Member
    Hi!

It's been about a month since I started taking the medication. I had a huge headache for the first 2 weeks, but now I'm feeling fine. I still feel my anxiety, it's just not as overwhelming as it was before and I don't binge as much as I did. I still have cravings, but it's been easier to let it go. Being on therapy has been helping me a lot!

My next appointment with the endocrinologist is on Tuesday, the 26th, to see if I need to make any adjustments to my medication. I don't think I've lost that much weight this month, as soon as I got better from my headache, I got COVID and I had to be isolated and I ended up using it as an excuse to not do any kind of exercise... Thank God I'm feeling much better! I will have more updates once I meet with the doctor.
  • Marlissa2024
    Marlissa2024 Posts: 1 Member
    So glad this is working out in your favor, good luck in the future in reaching your goals whatever they may be!
  • sidr415
    sidr415 Posts: 2 Member
    This is a big problem for me. I have anxiety in my life and I binge eat. I can’t seem to get it under control. I’m always tired because I work too much and neglect my own health. 🥲