Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Which weight loss method is the most successful?

1235»

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Sometimes I really miss the disagree button. :)

I did the complete opposite of @BuellerFerrisBueller. I tried to stay in a deficit through all the seasons, didn't exercise any less or more depending on said season, and definitely didn't give up "junk" food.

How do you get as much exercise when it's 20 below as you do when it's 80 above? And how can enough food for 80-degree weather be enough food when it's 20 below?

If it's too cold or windy or rainy, I have an inside. I have exercise dvds or some people use youtube or belong to gyms. Just because I can't get outside to walk doesn't mean I have to sit on my *kitten* and do nothing.

I also don't have to deal with icy streets or anything so I can just put on a warm jacket.

Are you looking to not gain weight during the winter? Since you don't log and you're exercising less, you also have to eat less.

Also, you said something a bit concerning. You literally said restaurant food wasn't real which is just...an unhealthy attitude in itself. I'm sure you've saved a lot of money not going to restsurants but wth do you think they're serving you?

Even McDonald's has salads! 😀

• glassyo

I did the complete opposite of @BuellerFerrisBueller. I tried to stay in a deficit through all the seasons, didn't exercise any less or more depending on said season, and definitely didn't give up "junk" food.

How do you get as much exercise when it's 20 below as you do when it's 80 above? And how can enough food for 80-degree weather be enough food when it's 20 below?

Your personal experiences and circumstances do not apply to everyone.

Not to mention, THIS. :)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member

As has been mentioned, your personal experiences and circumstances don't apply to everyone.

Weather varies according to location.
    And exercise choices vary too.

20 degrees F is pretty rare here. And I'd rather do my walks and hikes when it's cold than when it's 80+ degrees.
    Most of my exercise is indoors anyway. And again, I much prefer the colder weather than hotter. My treadmill runs are a lot less pleasant now than in winter, even in my relatively cooler garage.

As for appetite, weather obviously influences you a different way than it does me. The weather influences the types of foods I eat, but not my really my appetite. Only heat waves take away my appetite a little, which is only a small part of summer.
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    During lockdown it was around 0C and I worked out outside. You get used to it and 5 min into the workout I was sweating and had to take off my sweater.

The other day it was 30C and while there were fans cooling the gym down, I was a sweaty mess 5 min in. I had to take ofr my shirt and even in tiny leggingshorts and a sportsbra I was dying to take stuff off because I wasn't cooling down.

My winter workout ended up more intense and effective. When lockdown was lifted it was 15-20C inside the gym so perfectly pleasant temps to work out in.

As for food, my appetite is as cyclical in winter as it is in summer. I have seen no difference while logging. And because Christmas and other holidays are no big deal, the meals fit just as nicely into my calorie allotment as summer meals do. I never gained more weight during winter than summer. I gained more weight whenever I stopped exercising and/or my mental health took a hit, which often coincide.

Best diet for me was to up my fruit intake to a normal level, which helped me crave sweets less. Exercise did the rest.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

As has been mentioned, your personal experiences and circumstances don't apply to everyone.

20 degrees F is pretty rare here. And I'd rather do my walks and hikes when it's cold than when it's 80+ degrees.
    Most of my exercise is indoors anyway. And again, I much prefer the colder weather than hotter. My treadmill runs are a lot less pleasant now than in winter, even in my relatively cooler garage.

As for appetite, weather obviously influences you a different way than it does me. The weather influences the types of foods I eat, but not my really my appetite. Only heat waves take away my appetite a little, which is only a small part of summer.

Bueller said "20 below" which I bet is even rarer than 20 degrees F :lol:

Since I moved back to Massachusetts from South Florida 11 years ago, I can't recall a daytime temp in the negative.

I was once a little chilly walking at 17 degrees F, and that was my own fault for not dressing properly.

The high was 91 degrees here today and I was really limited in my ability to be outside as the heat made me nauseous - and that was when it was still in the 80s.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »

20 degrees F is pretty rare here.

Bueller said "20 below" which I bet is even rarer than 20 degrees F :lol:

Oops, my brain probably skipped that part since that really doesn't happen here, last time it was that cold was probably the Little Ice Age 😁
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments from everyone, it's good to hear all your opinions.

Next up is something that is likely to be controversial - in a recent study the "best diet" as they say is...

Vegan

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/diets/1606711/Weight-loss-best-diet-vegan-plant-based-how-to-lose-weight-fast-study

FWIW I spent a lot of time with dozens if not hundreds of vegans during my three years living in yoga communities. We talked about veganism a lot. They were all ethical vegans - not a single one was vegan in order to lose weight.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited July 2022
    Ferris, you're funny. I've enjoyed it. I see.
    I was born for colder weather. I simply take it back outside, 12 months out of the year.
  • glassyo
    I'm in southern california and the coldest it gets at night is maybe around 30 degrees F?

But, yeah, my cheapo knock off down jacket from Walmart does a good job of keeping me warm. Securing the hood part sucks tho. :)

The only things that truly keep me from my usual walks outside are if it's raining hard or it's reeeeeeeeeally windy out. And even then...

I have a balance problem so sometimes need to stop, get my bearings, and then move on.

Or when I had severe abdominal pains. Walking on concrete was a nono and again, even then, I went so stir crazy being in my apt for so long, I still took a very slow 20 min walk to go get my nightly diet coke.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member

How do YOU get as much exercise when it's near or over triple-digit numbers than when it's 35 to 45 degrees?

If I go to the gym, they have climate control. They can reduce summer temperatures to more manageable levels, and in the winter they actually run the heat. Amazing!

Where I live, it rains most of the year. We have really good technical fabrics that are waterproof and breathable. I can ride my bike year-round unless there's ice or snow. (I have a bike with a belt instead of a chain, so there's less maintenance and less mess and doesn't have as many issues picking up grit in the rain. I can hike, sometimes more easily in the winter. The creeks and rivers are more interesting then. Oh. Yeah. Also for whitewater paddling, winter and spring are the seasons for anything that isn't dam controlled. Flows fall in the spring and we have to wait for fall rains to get back out. Some of us have drysuits. Oh. Yeah. Around here, May and September are probably the best months for SCUBA. If I go north to Hood Canal, winter is BETTER. There's shorter days, but the water clarity increases greatly. Water temperature is not that much different summer to winter, and... drysuit. If I want to go ski touring, I sure as <ocelot> can't go any time before there's enough snow.

So, how do YOU get as much exercise when it's near or over triple-digit numbers than when it's 35 to 45 degrees?
  • Ginharbe
    Ginharbe Posts: 76 Member
    @threewins
    So I starded on January 1st , counting macros on MFP took the basic aproach of 1200 cal per day , because I know my body, sat small realistic goals , went through MMP set up on macros put my personal info on it and Voila!, I went from 70kg to 61.5 +- as of right now, used recipe discovery feature, portioned my meals correctly, No hungry no diet, no suffering, no deprived, also I have a workout routine that helps with the calorie deficit. It is an all day, every day routine to count your macros, but it works