May sound silly but🤷🏿‍♀️

Kinya4571
Kinya4571 Posts: 10 Member
I’ve been trying to eat whole wheat old fashioned oatmeal in order to lose weight, but the problem is I end using too much brown sugar. I know that this is no good for me are there any other suggestions where I can still eat my oatmeal without losing the taste?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Splenda.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,813 Member
    Sugar free syrup, sugar replacements- there's one for brown sugar, and you can start doing less sugar until you acclimate to the taste
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Use less brown sugar and stay within your calorie goal? :)

I like sugar free maple syrup on my oatmeal.

Oh, and do you LIKE the oatmeal you're eating? You said "try". :)

No need to force yourself to eat something you don't like to lose weight. Just eat in a deficit.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Monk fruit, powdered peanut butter, almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, Truvia, Stevia, Sugar free presrrves
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,095 Member
    I have the same issue. Using a protein powder with artificial sweetener is a double win for me, on those few occasions when I eat oatmeal: adding sweetness and protein.

I've seen mentions of savory oatmeal here on the boards, never tried that myself.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    SF maple syrup, 1/2 a banana sliced or a handful of blueberries.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    mmm, lovely porridge.

Here are some of the things I eat regularly with my daily bowl:
    Spoon of honey/syrup/jam/nut butter
    fruit - if you get some frozen berries out the night before so they have defrosted they are lovely and squishy. At weekends I'll peel and chop an apple, cook it in the pan with a teaspoon of cinnamon while the porridge cooks. Delicious.
    Cocoa if you fancy chocolate, good with a bit of cinnamon as well.
    Add a spoonful of instant coffee as well as the cocoa for mocha porridge..

Are you making it with milk or water? if water try milk - much nicer :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited July 2022
    I don't add sugar to my oatmeal, but I do add a half banana and some blueberries and a half scoop of (stevia-sweetened) protein powder with milk. It's plenty sweet.
  • MariMonarch
    MariMonarch Posts: 4 Member
    I had the same problem. These are great suggestions. Thanks for posting this.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    As suggested above, cut the amount of sugar little by little and add some fruit.

Splenda also makes a brown sugar version that has lower calories

I hope that helps! 💐
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    mmm, lovely porridge.

fruit - if you get some frozen berries out the night before so they have defrosted they are lovely and squishy. At weekends I'll peel and chop an apple, cook it in the pan with a teaspoon of cinnamon while the porridge cooks. Delicious.

I like mine with the 30 calorie vanilla almond milk. :)
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    My fave topping is strawberries with a couple of squares of dark chocolate. The chocolate melts into the porridge and the strawberries cut through the richness. Yum…
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    mmm, lovely porridge.

I like mine with the 30 calorie vanilla almond milk. :)

Yum. Standard for me is oat milk. Sometimes in the winter before heading out for a long run I use the chocolate almond milk/chocolate oat milk. The treat helps get over the whole 'whose stupid idea was this?' feeling when trying to get out the door for 15 miles in January 😆
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    It’s unclear if you actually LIKE oatmeal, or if you think it’s something you need to eat to lose weight. Because it isn’t. Eat what you like within your calorie budget. There are no specific foods that assist with weight loss.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Depending on my macro needs at the time, I'll add to my oatmeal:
    -powdered PB
    -real PB
    -dried cranberries
    -fresh/frozen berries
    -sliced banana
    -chopped apple
    -chopped walnuts
    -protein powder
    -cinnamon
    -etc etc
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    How much brown sugar is "too much"?

Honestly, I just use brown sugar or maybe maple syrup depending on the flavor profile I want. I hate artificial sweeteners and they can be a trigger for an IC flare so I steer clear. That brown sugar has never been what has made me fat and unhealthy.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I mix about 1/3 cup of apple sauce and LOTS of blueberries in mine, and sprinkle toasted pumpkin seeds on top. Honestly I never thought that I would enjoy oatmeal without some sort of sugar/honey - but the fruit (along with a bit of crunch from the seeds) really is enough now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    This is not a reduced calories play, but an increased nutrition play: I also don't like artificial sweeteners (taste preference), but do like my oatmeal a little sweet. I do use thawed frozen mixed berries, but add some blackstrap molasses. If one picks the right brand (I like Wholesome brand), there's a good micronutrient profile in a small amount: Meaningful potassium, some decent iron and calcium, too. I like the flavor, though I'm sure not everyone does.

Life is too short to eat things that don't taste good, and taste is personal.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    AnnPT77 molasses sounds so yummy!

I had oatmeal last night with flax, chia and vanilla protein powder. It was so good My favorite way though is with nut buttervor powdered peanut butter, monk fruit maple and cacao nibs
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,095 Member
    Inspired by this thread, I 'excavated' my box of oatmeal from the pantry and made myself oatmeal for breakfast:
    - 50gr oats
    - 200 ml of semi-skimmed milk
    - 30gr of whey (with artificial sweetener)
    - 200gr of defrosted blueberries

The result was yummy, but calculating the calorie count afterwards was sobering. A whopping 500 calories for a breakfast that wasn't very satiating (albeit yummy) :# And now I remember why I don't usually have oatmeal for breakfast. My regular breakfast of 300gr of fruit flavored skyr and blueberries for around 250 calories is less yummy but waaay more filling.

What kind of portions are you guys eating? Do you find it filling?