~ Sobriety Matters ~

Replies

• BeIn2day
    BeIn2day Posts: 1,650 Member
    Bein, your pictures are gorgeous! The little cottage is enchanting. Indeed, it looks like something from a fairy tale! I am so proud of you for staying sober on your vacation I want to reach through the screen to hug you! Your posts have given me so much hope for myself. I want to get and stay on track. Thank you for sharing these lovely photos.

It really felt like a fairytale ✨️ I loved it. Thank you so much 🤗😊 and I am thrilled that I can help to give you hope and motivation, that's why we have our little thread, it really helps me so much, too.

You CAN do this. You WILL do this. Because I know its a goal that means a lot to you. You will get back on track 👣 💪
  • AR10at50
    AR10at50 Posts: 1,172 Member
    @BeIn2day - Thank you for the beautiful pictures! That cabin does look like it’s out of a fairy tale and the food looks like it’s out of a magazine!!! How wonderful for you to experience the crackling of the fire and the rain on the roof; being sober sure enables us to appreciate decadent experiences in life!!!
  • BeIn2day
    AR10at50 wrote: »
    @BeIn2day - Thank you for the beautiful pictures! That cabin does look like it’s out of a fairy tale and the food looks like it’s out of a magazine!!! How wonderful for you to experience the crackling of the fire and the rain on the roof; being sober sure enables us to appreciate decadent experiences in life!!!

😊 it was a magical getaway for me. A lovely break and I enjoyed it all the more with a clear head.

Kate Bee makes an interesting point about FOMO (fear of missing out) especially on holidays or trips away. She said that everyone is missing out on something. Nobody can have a complete experience of anything. There is only so much you can do. She advises to reframe thinking and decide 'what am I happy to miss out on?' She is happy to miss out on hangovers while on holiday. That resonated with me, if I chose not to miss out on alcohol, it means I miss out on other things.
  • BeIn2day
    @AR10at50 your almost into double figures now ! Building an alcohol free streak is great for motivation and confidence I find. It's great that you have a reason to stay dry after your skin treatment, I'm at a point now that I love it when I'm told 'you can't drink any alcohol.....while on these tablets.....while using this.....while using that....fill in the blanks. It adds extra oomph to staying off it ! Doctors orders !

It's not always easy to stay off alcohol, but your doing it. Apparently, it gets easier. But at the beginning it can be hard. I feel hopeful to know that in time, it will get easier and easier.

Hope your skin settles down soon. Alcohol does absolutely nothing for our skin, apart from dry it out and age it prematurely so your skin will be rejoicing right now 😁
  • AR10at50
    Thanks @BeIn2day !😊🌸
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 447 Member
    Wow! So much going on today! So great that Bein2day had such a lovely trip to her fairy cabin in the highlands and truly enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing the photos - I spent a semester of graduate school in Aberdeen way up north and a lot of that time hiking and feeding daisies to the very furry Scottish cows. Long, long time ago!

I came across this aarticle with what sound like great non alcoholic cocktail ideas in case anyone is interested
    https://apple.news/AHs1pDjg8Swajz67UgusmQA
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Alcohol does indeed wreak havoc on our skin. Some mornings I'd look in the mirror at my red and splotchy skin and think, "Even if I were a man, I'd wear foundation today." it only takes a few days of sobriety to see positive results on the outside so surely we are getting positive results on the parts we can't see.
  • BeIn2day
    @Sinisterbarbie1 I was on a pink cloud during my very first (long) sober streak. I managed 134 days. I would get overcome with emotion just looking at the sky. Everything in the world felt new and shiny and somehow magical. I was literally walking on sunshine lol.

I do wonder if I will / can experience that a second time? 🤔 at least now I know that quitting alcohol won't solve all lives problems. At least now I know that! But darn I miss that pink cloud ☁️
  • BeIn2day
    I decided to quit vaping yesterday (nicotine in all shapes n forms riles anxiety symptoms for me).

So, now my new addiction is food. And coffee (need to quit that as well, due to anxiety)I always seem to have at least one addiction on the go. But I'm only human and at least for me, food doesn't rile anxiety symptoms. But it makes me really overweight and I struggle to fit any clothes. One thing at a time though. I will quit caffeine again soon. Then I will have to tackle my diet in the near future.
  • BeIn2day
    Apparently according to Google. Pink clouding is not always a one-time occurrence. Apparently it can come and go at various times during recovery.

They say pink clouding can be challenging for your recovery, but these days everything is dangerous for you. I want me some more pink clouds 😆💕☁️
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 3,818 Member
    BeIn2day wrote: »
    @Sinisterbarbie1 I was on a pink cloud during my very first (long) sober streak. I managed 134 days. I would get overcome with emotion just looking at the sky. Everything in the world felt new and shiny and somehow magical. I was literally walking on sunshine lol.

I do wonder if I will / can experience that a second time? 🤔 at least now I know that quitting alcohol won't solve all lives problems. At least now I know that! But darn I miss that pink cloud ☁️

During my pink cloud moments, I actually felt my vision was clearer and I saw things more colorfully. I also felt euphoric. This happened to me around day 10.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 271 Member
    This thread is really interesting and I am learning so much. Thank you all for sharing.
    @Xellercin I really appreciate all that you post and I hope you will keep posting in this thread.
  • BeIn2day
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    This thread is really interesting and I am learning so much. Thank you all for sharing.
    @Xellercin I really appreciate all that you post and I hope you will keep posting in this thread.

I agree. I have learnt a lot from reading @Xellercin posts. I hope you will continue to share and post in the thread 😊💜🤞
  • BeIn2day
    allieberri wrote: »
    i want some pink clouds...and my mind goes to cotton candy. our little local fair begins today.
    not doing so great - binged yesterday. feeling off. lost. my weight is up - i am always hungry and craving things.
    starting day 1 over. sheesh... :(

Sending you positive vibes and support ✨️ I'm not going to be much help where food is concerned but I'm going to be needing help, myself, to sort out my food intake. If I come across things that are helpful, I will be sure to post them here. X
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 447 Member
    @AR10at50 isn’t it amazing how much more time and energy you have to accomplish things? It is funny that people say that they drink bc they are bored, but ultimately they end up doing nothing but drinking which is very boring! A lot of people with drinking habits even prefer drinking at home because it is cheaper, they mix themselves stronger drinks/no one monitors their drinking/they don’t have to worry about driving so they aren’t even enjoying the benefits of social company when drinking.
    It is great that you are posting here and that you are confiding your ups and downs. When I was stopping drinking I went to a therapist, because my decision was wrapped up with various other health concerns and I was recovering from a severe illness (cancer and then its aftermath effects) which had left me feeling too dependent on my spouse already so I didn’t want to put yet another issue (and one that felt like it was somehow laden with fault and guilt) onto the pile. I am guessing I am probably not alone in having complicated feelings to sort out around making what is ultimately a healthy and positive decision. So having an outside outlet for your thoughts and feelings is really useful, and this thread is still really useful to me now even though I am past the initial tougher decisions and associated struggles with sticking to them.
  • AR10at50
    @Sinisterbarbie1 - Yes! I am shocked at the time and energy I now have. Making dinner is now even enjoyable.
    I agree with your statements about not getting anything done while drinking, and of course I liked drinking at home because yes, I did mix my drinks stronger. Heck, I could buy a bottle of vodka, that would last me 5 days, for the price of 2 drinks in a bar. And naturally, I did not have to drive; I just puttered in my sewing room.
    To recover from cancer is an amazing feat!
    No, you are NOT alone in having the complicated feelings to sort out from making that healthy and positive decision..... I think we all wrestle with that in some way.💚