Tired hip

Options
bigkahuna66
bigkahuna66 Posts: 7 Member
edited July 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all! I'm Jerry, a 55-year-old man who has a very physical job. I'm 100lbs. overweight. 8 months ago, my left hip was bothering me for a few days. A pain I am not used to. While working one morning I had to stop because the pain became unbearable. My job entails walking a lot, bending, getting in and out of a delivery truck, and lifting as much as 50lbs on a regular basis. I was off work for a couple weeks while letting my hip heal. The doctor called it bursitis. Now, that I'm back to work, I haven't experienced the pain like I did, but I can tell something is going on there still because it feels tired after walking somedays. I've started riding my bicycle almost every night, and that has been helping my knees, but not having much success with the hip. I'm almost afraid to start walking on a regular basis for fear I could over-work it. Suggestions on exercises to help?

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I had bursitis in my hip and the dr had me go to PT. Only 5 sessions. A lot of the pain was gone fairly quickly, but it took a good 4 months for it to fully go away. I did my exercises pretty much every single day. Easy exercises, but you have to do them, lol.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have had bursitis combined with arthritis in my hip. Occassionally drs will also give a steroid shot in the joint (it hurts momentarily, but then relieves the pain for a very long time). They can only do that a few times because steroids degrade the bones/joints. But if it doesn’t heal after PT go back and inquire.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at Bob & Brad on YouTube? They're experienced physical therapists (pretty mature guys themselves now), with a lot of useful content for body issues. They have various videos on hip pain, hip bursitis, and related topics, based on a quick search. Look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/BobBrad/search?query=bursitis hip

I think some of their advice about diet/weight-management is kind of dumb, and it's outside their formal scope of practice in my understanding, so I'd ignore what they have to say about that . . . but their physical therapy advice generally seems pretty good.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Depending on the severity of the bursitis, certain exercises can and will help. But without actually knowing your range of motion, flexibility and strength levels, it's hard to give you those exercises. I'm aggressive when it comes to rehab, so unless I can actually watch you I can't recommend the harder ones. But try
    Hip Abbduction exercises at the easiest levels and increase the resistance as you get stronger.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    B4 i even got to your sentence 'bursitis' i was thinking its bursitis. it seems to some out of no where very painful and it can last what feels like months. then it disappears as quickly as it came on like almost overnite. of course losing some weight will def help. try to avoid repetitive motion and to not sleep on that side...put lots of pillows around you to keep yourself from rolling on to the side if you are a side sleeper.
  • bigkahuna66
    bigkahuna66 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good advice. I was watching Bob and Brad earlier. I'm gonna try those hip abduction excersises too.