Replies

• BeIn2day
    BeIn2day Posts: 1,650 Member

I really enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting it 😊
  • BeIn2day
    61amfy1kyyt9.jpg
    I had an alcohol free cider. It was absolutely delicious 😋

I will be honest. I felt tempted more than once this evening to have a wine. But my brother and OH were very supportive, they stuck to soft drinks. I realised I was preferring being sober and was glad I stayed dry. I suppose it's ingrained behaviour and it will take a while to stop feeling tempted.
  • BeIn2day
    I wouldn't recommend the sparkling white Belle & Co. Its like sparkling grape juice. It's not offensive or anything but I prefer the Sparkling Rose Belle & Co as I thought it had a 'wine' taste. 🥂
  • BeIn2day
    p4fvvaq6dl9n.jpg
    🙌🙌🙌
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 447 Member
    Interesting article @SunnyDays930 — it hits on a lot of the themes we have discussed amongst ourselves here! Thanks for sharing.

There is a lot of discussion/confusion over why sobeer people want na adult beverage options. On the one hand it is like wondering why vegetarians want more than a steamed veggie plate as a vegetarian option when they go out to eat. Its not to disguise that they are vegetarians, it is to enjoy the experience of going out just like other people do.

One of the ideas that has crystallized for me over time and I think I have mentioned in the past is that I don’t miss drinking but I don’t want to give up the rituals associated with it (either at home or when I go out) — whether those are the drink signaling the end of the work day/relaxation, the celebratory toast, the nice cocktail to have at a bar or restaurant on a night out, and (i am very silly about this) I LIKE NICE STEMWARE! So I definitely enjoy non alcoholic adult beverages in place of the alcoholic versions. I don’t necessarily try to mimic an alcohol like experience, either in taste or looking for something with adaptogens or nootropics or cbd etc. And for me it is not that I am disguising what I am drinking, I am simply continuing to enjoy the parts of the experience that are most enjoyable. The nice glass, the presentation, the care put into crafting a beverage, the clinking of glasses with my friends, the interesting and appropriate to the meal/setting taste, etc.

Weight is also an issue I care about, and the no alcohol adult drink options tend to be far lower in calories (topping out around 50-60 per serving for the ones I have) rather than sodas and juice drinks which often run twice that and more calorie wise per serving, and tend to be over sweet and uninteresting/consumed to quench thirst rather than sipped etc.

While I think the article was well written, and I enjoyed it, I do sense it reflects a hint of personal worry by the author who I guess is a wine reviewer about what might happen if too many people jump on the sober bandwagon. Or maybe it was just a “meh” attitude towards the offerings sampled because the author doesn’t lie a sober lifestyle themselves so doesn/t intend to incorporate the products into their lives. Anyway, a fun survey of different perspectives and experiences that helped me think about my own sobriety and what makes it work & keeps it fun
  • BeIn2day

Another great article. Interesting read.
  • BeIn2day
    Quitting caffeine tomorrow. I have been enjoying my coffees but I enjoy less anxiety symptoms, more. So back onto the green tea and water from tomorrow.

I wasn't a huge fan of green tea at the start, but it's very good for your health, and studies show people who drink green tea, tend to live longer than those who don't. Green tea is a popular drink amongst the blue zones on the planet (where people have highest rates of living to age 100 and older).

Obviously drinking more water will help to keep my system flushed, reduce bloating and apparently, if you drink water before meals, it fills you up and helps you to eat less. Also, apparently you can be thirsty, and mistake that for feeling hungry. Anyway every little helps so I will be downing the water tomorrow !
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    I drink lots of green tea, and it is wonderful and has all sorts of fantastic (to some degree unexplained by medical science) properties but I have to warn you … it is not caffeine free unless you get some chemically processed decaffeinated variety. In fact the caffeine in green tea extracts is sometimes used as an active ingredient in over the counter weight loss supplements.
    I definitely encourage you to drink it, and I can tell you that I personally have never had the sorts of jittery caffeine symptoms that people complain about with coffee with green tea, and I do find it very relaxing. But it is not caffeine free if that is why you are drinking it.
  • BeIn2day
    Thanks for reminding me about that @Sinisterbarbie1 I did know that green tea was not caffeine free just that it's got much less than coffee.

8 ounce of coffee provides = 96 mg of caffeine

8 ounce of green tea provides = 29 mg of caffeine

^^I'm sure these are just estimates or maybe near enough to the real amounts (found on Google search). It let's me still get a little kick of caffeine but not anywhere near the amount in my regular coffee cup. 😉
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,213 Member
    @BeIn2day do you think its ok for you to have a wee bit of caffeine like in green tea? It sounds like the benefits would outweigh the bad? That being said I am very sensitive to caffeine and would not be able to drink that after 2 pm if I planned to sleep at all. So I get it if you want zero caffeine. I had iced tea at lunch yesterday (at a bar while my husband had 2 beers so yay for me) but I had a hard time going to sleep.
  • BeIn2day
    Yeah @SunnyDays930 I'm sure the green tea will be fine for me. Whenever I have made this swap in the past I tend to only have 3 cups per day (just water in between) one cup in the morning, one cup at lunch and one more around 6pm. It doesn't seem to impact my sleep at all or rile anxiety symptoms in me.

When I drink coffee it feels like it irritates my bladder ! I am absolutely desperate for the toilet, green tea does not have that effect on me and I have never became jittery due to green tea, the way too much coffee makes me.

It seems coffee, like alcohol, nicotine and I guess things like sugar & salty foods, become addictive for me. Whereas I don't react the same to the smaller amount of caffeine found in green tea. I can happily stick to 3 cups per day.

And good for you chosing the ice tea over alcohol (shame though it impacted your sleep).
  • BeIn2day
    Thanks for your post @Sinisterbarbie1 I will think about what you said. I know that smaller changes can be better for you. X
  • AR10at50
    AR10at50 Posts: 1,172 Member
    @SunnyDays930 - Great article!

Green tea- I drink a quart of it with the juice of one lemon daily, but I have to stop at 2:00 so I can sleep. In addition to that, I drink about a gallon of water....it’s hot here.

Well on my 12th day, I decided to have a drink. I asked my husband and he said to be sure to measure it and I did because I wanted to drink the drink while I was getting dinner ready, then take a shower and be ready to hop in bed and be a willing participant with a good attitude. (Please tell me if sex is a NO NO here.) Later I wanted to go watch a barrel race down the road, which lasted until 10 p.m.
    I love the name “Sobriety Matters” . I was following the “Less Alcohol for 30 Days”, but that just made me want to moderate which did not work for me.
    I hope you all are having a nice weekend.
  • BeIn2day
    'Watch a barrel race down the road.....' sounds like MY sex life. Haha 😂 me, being the barrel. I'm just happy that someone HAS a sex life. We have work to do in that department shall we say. Then again I have been getting counselling, dealing with anxiety and taking meds. Doesn't exactly make me want to rip my clothes off 🤯 rip my hair out more like LOL.

I like the name as well. I wanted it to have a double meaning. So yeah, sobriety totally matters as it's great for your over all health and well being. But also we discuss all sorts of matters relating to sobriety. Any type of sobriety, not limited to booze. I started out on the Less alcohol thread which I got a lot out of and lots of support but I realised that moderately drinking just wasn't happening for me.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    edited August 1
    Delete