Women 200lb+, Let's Be Adventurous This August!!!

RavenStCloud
RavenStCloud Posts: 352 Member
edited August 2022 in Motivation and Support
🌞Hello, ladies, and happy August!!!🌞

🌞There's only one month left of summer(for most of us, at least)! How do you hope to spend it? Any plans lined up, big or small?

🌞This month is all about trying new things and being our best adventurous selves. Is there something new you've tried recently or something you could experiment with this month? Maybe a new food or recipe, a new exercise or hobby, or even a great book or podcast you've been meaning to try? Please share it with us!

🧡If you've never been here before, please know you are welcome to join at any point in the month. All you have to do is post something, and then BAM! you're one of us.

🧡In this group, we post our weekly and monthly goals and provide support and motivation to each other as we share our triumphs and our struggles. This group is all about accountability.

🧡All are welcome and, if you think you belong here, you do! No matter how much you currently weigh or how you measure (or don't measure) your weight, we'd love to hear from you.

🧡Victories, both scale and non-scale, are great to hear about, but, conversely, we know that weight loss isn't all sunshine and roses. If you're going through a rough patch, please feel free to be honest and vent your heart out. The struggle is real and we're all here to support each other!

🌞Let's be amazingly adventurous this August!!!🌞

Replies

• bonniemcc4
    bonniemcc4 Posts: 129 Member
    edited August 2022
    Reintroducing myself: My name is Bonnie. I’m 33, dog mom to a rambunctious Chiweenie, and aunt helping raise my two youngest nephews (11 now & turning 10 this month). I deal with chronic illnesses and pain, which I hope that weight loss and exercising will help.

I weigh in on Mondays.

Started 2/5/22
    SW: 288.8
    CW: 248.6 (-40.2)
    GW for August: 243

8/1: 248.6
    8/8:
    8/15:
    8/22:
    8/29:

Goals for August:

🍎 Keep eating 4-5 fruits and veggie servings per day, at least 5 days a week
    🧘🏼‍♀️ Work up to 4-5 minutes at a time doing Leslie Sansone workouts by the end of the month if able to
    🏊‍♀️ Start water exercise and enjoy the pool while it’s open
    👩‍⚕️ Have my next in person doctors appointment
    🦷 Make a dentist appointment (first time in 6 years)
    🛋 Hopefully make and have my first talk therapy appointment at the new office
    ⬇️ Lose 5 pounds (I’ll be happy with any loss though)
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited August 2022
    Maryann: 39
    Starting weight in 2019: 242
    Currently weight: 208
    Goal weight:162
    Latest and last Yo-yo: I had gotten down to 175 in June 2021 then a bunch of medical stuff happened and I learned I have arthritis in my lower spine and hips and Fibromyalgia, which has thrown my exercise regimen for a loop.

I turned 39 a week ago, and I'm determined to hit my goal weight by my 40th. I have 46lbs to go in 51 weeks.

July was a weird month, and I started posting to this forum and did a bad job engaging with everyone. One of my August goals is to be better about that this month. I also gave up running in July due to the aforementioned "Latest and last Yo-yo", which has been hard. Also weird, since I despise running but somehow take it away from me and I'm lost. I'm finding my self coming up with excuses as to why it's ok to start running again. I also do classes at the gym 3x a week - they're small group training. They've been my rock for the past 3 years. My coach told us she heard they're cancelling them - so adding the loss of classes to the loss of running and I'm having a fitness crisis over here.

This all leads me to my goal for August:

1. Figure out a new exercise plan that works for me both mentally and physically, and be ok with adapting it if classes I've previously relied on are cancelled.
    2. Come to terms with the fact that #1 might mean I have to go to the gym part of the gym (classes are in a special room) and like... exist on the floor with strangers without hiding in awkward shame or having a panic attack.
    3. Be more engaged with this community, and post progress at least weekly
    4. The only 3 days I have allowed to be "off plan" are 8/29, 8/30, and 8/31 - as we planned a mini family get away.

Happy anniversary @pamperedlinny! Book clubs are fun, keep us posted if you discover anything worth a read :)

@RavenStCloud - Another thanks for setting up the thread!

@CupcakeCrusoe - Have fun in Disney! August sounds like a busy month for sure!
  • cosmiccurves
    cosmiccurves Posts: 356 Member
    Height: 5'4"
    Start Weight: 320 lbs
    Current Weight: 288.6 lbs
    Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Goals for August:
    :star: Walk at least 7,000 steps per day
    :star: Walk/hike/job at least 100 miles for the month of August
    :star: Develop a better sleep routine (6-8 hrs per night)
    :star: Finish unpacking our home!
    :star: Do some fall crafting to prepare for the fall explosion!
    :star: Log every day consistently and drink my water
    :star: Lose 6-10 lbs this month!

YRpPbcw.png
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 210 Member
    Age 45
    Height 5'4"
    SW 249 3/2020
    CW 226.4
    GW for August 220
    UGW 145

8/1: 226.4 lbs
    8/8:
    8/15:
    8/22:
    8/31:
    Total month loss:

Weekly goals:
    -At least 2 day at gym - 1 cardio, 1 strength
    -64 oz of water each day

Not many things going on this month.
    Mom is coming back for a week so I have to work on some things at her house.
    Wine festival next weekend. Discussed with DH and we'll go.
    Also have Frozen as our last broadway series show to go to.

@tahitig OMG so glad you made your weight!!! That is awesome. What a great trip.
  • lmgoff232
    lmgoff232 Posts: 277 Member
    Thanks @RavenStCloud for another month!

Height: 5'10"
    HW: 290.6 (4/19/2021)
    SW: 287.4 (7/16/2021)
    CW: 211.4 (8/1/2022)

GW for August: 205
    GW for 2022: 190
    UGW: 170

8/5:
    8/12:
    8/19:
    8/26:

Well, July got away from me. I tried to track, but so many meals out where I was estimating, plus being in a bad head space, meant I found about 5 of the lbs I had lost. And I did not check in.

Over the last few days I have been focused on tracking accurately again & actually paying attention to my calorie goals instead of blowing right by them, and feeling good about it. I am also focusing on getting my mental health back on track. I will be weighing in on Fridays this month.

So, starting small again, my goals for August are:
    - remain within 100 calories of my goal at leat 5x per week
    - 8 glasses water daily
    - 6000 steps daily

• ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Hey everyone! Happy August!

I can't believe it's been a full year since I started this journey.

user: seltzer_lover
    weigh-in day: Mondays
    SW (7/2021): 300
    7/25: 232.9
    8/1: 235.6

August GW: under 230

No idea why I've retained SO MUCH water, but my weight went up over 5 pounds since last Monday and is just starting to drift back down again. Trying to not get psyched out by the gain since I know that it's nonsense and isn't real weight.

My main goal for August is to continue cleaning out my closet of things that are too large or that I don't wear.

i can so relate to you . I am near tears just responding to you. My weight went up last week 5lbs I know it's water weight buuuuut it sucks to see it. I know it won't go down until next week why because not only water weight increase sodium and muscle training but now hormonal changes so I am just trying to remain positive and push through with remaining in my calorie deficit and doing my workouts
  • seltzer_lover
    seltzer_lover Posts: 261 Member
    i can so relate to you . I am near tears just responding to you. My weight went up last week 5lbs I know it's water weight buuuuut it sucks to see it. I know it won't go down until next week why because not only water weight increase sodium and muscle training but now hormonal changes so I am just trying to remain positive and push through with remaining in my calorie deficit and doing my workouts

Don't be in tears! It happens. It's so frustrating to be doing everything "correctly" and still see gains, but stay on-track. :heart:
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,548 Member
    @bonniemcc4 I love water aerobics. I did a lot of those type classes when I was pregnant and it was fabulous. I hope you have fun!

@mshawski The book I'm reading for the first meeting I'll attend is actually really good so far. I'm almost finished and it's really interesting. The Personal Librarian https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55333938-the-personal-librarian

Also, I hope you find an exercise plan that works for you. My gym has a group wellness room (Zumba, cycling, Pound, Yoga) and also a high intensity room (think Power Hour, Crossfit style or Beast Mode classes). If you gym had the small group training maybe they have other classes too that might be a good fit. Try a single class of anything that sounds interesting until you find something for you.

@cosmiccurves It feels like 100 miles is a lot but I guess broken through a month that’s only about 3.5 miles a day. What kind of crafts are you doing???
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    Keri
    69 years old
    5'6"
    SW: 266ish
    CW: 245.6 current scale weighs me 6 lbs heavier than old one so not sure about how much I have lost.
    Halfway GW: 199.5
    UGW: 150 (healthy weight) then reconsider
    July GW: Get to low 240s or into the 230s and stay in them (no highs in the 250s)

I post weigh- in when I lose.
    7/2: 248.8
    7/29 246.4 (new low)
    8/1: 245.6 (new low)

🌞”There's only one month left of summer(for most of us, at least)! How do you hope to spend it? Any plans lined up, big or small?” Unfortunately we have a funeral to go to mid-month. My MIL died the end of last month. She lived in Hawaii so we will be with family then. She was a wonderful Mom, grandmother and friend and will be missed. However there is a very wonderful event this month. My grandson will be born later in the month. We will probably go visit a little later once Mom and baby have had a chance to recover and the family has had time to bond. My son’s MIL will be there to help. We might go later maybe in October. My new hobby is learning to cook without salt due to new dietary restrictions for my youngest who lives with us. I already cooked low salt but there are so many things with salt in them like cheese, canned vegetables (tomato sauces etc.) and condiments. We cook a lot of Asian dishes since my husband’s family is from China so this is a challenge. They can’t have red meat either so we are limiting ourselves to 1 time a week when they will eat something else like leftovers or dishes they make. I am supposed to avoid beef and turkey so I usually have lamb and very occasionally pork. We all can eat chicken and fish.

🌞"This month is all about trying new things and being our best adventurous selves. Is there something new you've tried recently or something you could experiment with this month? Maybe a new food or recipe, a new exercise or hobby, or even a great book or podcast you've been meaning to try? Please share it with us!" I need to get back into a day of strength training. Now that the weather isn’t so hot I can get back to walking more again.

🌻 AUGUST GOALS! 🌻
    🟨 Log daily on MFP and track on my spreadsheet
    🟨 Keep making progress with walking longer and walk 6 days a week
    🟨 Add strength training (weights, body weight and stretching)
    🟨 plan and cook healthy meals at home
    🟨 Eat at a sensible deficit

I didn’t see that last month’s hoped for loss until today. My goal for last month was to get into the mid 240s and today I am 245.6. Getting into the 245s is significant to me because that is the weight I achieved during my furlough and unemployment due to the pandemic before I started a new job and had a gain but also I am 245.6 on a newer scale that weighs me significantly heavier so the loss is greater than it appears. I feel this is sort of a watershed for me. I can start at the point that I had achieved or thought I had achieved 2 years ago and go on to make progress from there. I know it takes an adjustment with new scales but 6.6 lbs was hard to take. My husband confirmed it and we compared it to the scale at the gym. Also I really had a hard time making it through and out of the 250s. Last month I was able to increase the rate of loss a bit more. It was excruciatingly slow before but now it is more discernable with the naked eye :D . On my weight app I have a steep line which was the pace I hoped to lose and a gradually sloped line which is the pace I have lost. In this last line you can see my weight varying around it with my highs going down and my lows going down but in the last month my weight has gone below this upper line as it did when I was losing before I started working. My actual rate of loss is much steeper right now than the upper gradual line of loss. It is still a slow loss but closer to what I want, 1 pound a week. I do not want to lose faster. I want a sustainable loss and like others have said this is about health and learning weight management. Of course I will welcome a week here or there where I lose faster. Although they aren’t on my goals I am working to get enough sleep each night and drinking lots of water. I track a lot on my bullet journal.

I am generally doing well with walking regularly but last week was harder since we had a heat wave. Yesterday my husband and I put on the sun screen, got hats, water thermos and sun glasses and went to a local park on Puget Sound with lots of trees and just walked despite the very hot day. Last week we walked at 8:30 PM a few nights last week. This week we are back down in the mid 70s perfect for walking once I do my job search activities for the week. Today I can check my score for my interview last week.

Sorry for the long post but it is sort of a wrap up of last month and start to this month. I read the last July posts and will read the August posts soon.

@gb4120 I read your last post in July and I was amazed at your progress in fact at first I felt it was too much weight to lose in a month unless you are significantly over 200 LBS but reading your accomplishments or Wins I can see that you were so consistent and some of the changes like cutting out Coke could really help lose weight. Keeping your steps up and weight training too and my favorite, cooking at home are so great! Congrats on you progress in July and I hope August is good too.
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Hi all, happy august!
    I have a really uncommon first name, which is even uncommon in the place it comes from (former Yugoslavia, now several Balkan countries) and even less common in the Netherlands so in order to avoid narrowing down my identity to one of less than 100 people in this tiny country, I won't share my name. I'm cool with bojaantje or B. I'm 26, turning 27 in a few months, and I happily live alone.

My highest known weight: 138kg/303.6lbs 29th January 2022
    CW: 125kg/275lbs. I didn't wanna weigh myself in august but I feel like I should give people at least my weight on august 1st and 31st and I'm okay with that. My highs and lows are getting lower so currently I fluctuate between 123 and 126,5kg (271 and 278 lbs).
    GW: no idea. I think 121kg by the end of the month would be nice but I don't expect to see it based on the lack of data points I'm providing this month.

I have a rough outline of a plan:
    Ideally, I hit 112kg by the end of the year.
    Then 107kg (obese cat 2 to cat 1) by next summer.
    End 2023 at 100kg or below (not quite what you'd call onederland but the double digits I dream of).
    Then the obese to overweight treshold of 92,5kg-ish in 2024.
    Then whatever weight I feel comfortable at I'd stop (possibly 76kg, which is BMI 25 or 24,8 or something).
    I'm okay with straying from this plan if necessary, it's just a different way to look at the plan I mentioned in the july thread.

My adventures in August revolve mostly around hanging out with people, trying out new recipes, and going hard at the gym. I have 3 outings with friends planned this week that I'm looking forward to. Hopefully I can keep this momentum.
    I tried my first two recipes today. I'm not necessarily looking for "better" or "healthier" foods, just a way to become a better cook. I have a bunch of aquafaba left from the chickpea brownies (thank you to the person who mentioned it last month!) so I'm thinking of either vegan meringues (another thing I'm not a great fan of, oops 😂) or something savoury. Ideas welcome! But I do need to use it in the next few days.
    As for the gym, I am on week 3 of an 8 week pull up progression program. While I think I'm too heavy to get to a pull up in 8 weeks, I can at least make progress towards it. The learning curve is STEEP. I would also love to get a new pr on my snatch. I know I just got a pr a week ago but I wanna get closer to 50kg. Finally, I wanna see if I can reintroduce a few exercises I stopped doing because of my back. See if I can do snatches and c&js off the floor, do deeper squats than parallel or work towards heavier weights (within reason) at parallel, and maybe see if I can do very light deadlifts with excellent form, i.e. start with empty bar and see if I can get to 35kg. And then 50kg. Etc? My momentum is good, I am seeing visible changes, and because I'm not going to be weighing myself, I think it would be nice to measure my progress in fitness instead, alongside tape measurements maybe.

@pamperedlinny happy wedding anniversary! I am in awe at everything you did in July. I am fully convinced that becoming a mother turns you into some kind of superhuman. The mothers on here talk about doing things and I just don't know how you have the time or energy for them. The women at my gym who have children always seem to have PRs a little higher, possibly because they have done things that are harder than our workouts so they dare to push a little harder, even when bone-tired. And my own mother who I cannot thank enough for everything she's done. I know not everyone was blessed with a mother like mine but I see mothers like her in every mother who frequents this thread. You're all heroes.

@CupcakeCrusoe I made the chickpea brownies today! I'm not a big brownie person. I don't like when chocolate is gooey and brownies are usually too sweet as well but these weren't too sweet at all! I'm usually not a big frosting person either but oh my god this frosting was amazing. The combination is a winner for me.
    My sister is moving later this week so I made these to bring to her. I made the brownies vegan and the frosting only has honey, which isn't vegan but is also the only thing vegans have no moral reason to avoid, as honey is actually good for bees and the environment. But I kept a batch separate in case anyone objects or has a peanut allergy.

I brought them to the gym today but no one wanted to try them. This is often the case when my mum bakes something too so as a child I vowed to never be friends with anyone who refuses my mum's cooking. I respect that people say no because of their calorie budgets(amd of course no hard feelings towards those with allergies) but all the friends I have now will skip breakfast so they can eat my or my mum's cooking and that makes me happy. I'm too traumatised by rejection and the lack of recognition of my mum's hard work to be able to be close with someone whose lifestyle doesn't allow for my mum's food. I know this is a bit unreasonable but I'm okay with it.

@KeriA congrats on the new low! And on the grandbaby! Deaths in the family are awful so I hope the funeral will be smooth sailing.
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Hey everyone! So, due to trying to eat healthier and keep to a budget, I only allow myself to "eat out" (including drive throughs/fast food) 3 meals out of 21 a week. Sunday lunch is one of those 3 meals, so my weight always jumps up a little on Monday morning due to sodium and water retention. Additionally, today a buddy of mine in the military got promoted and we went out for drinks and appetizers after the ceremony, so my weight is going to be up tomorrow as well. Long story short, my weigh in day is going to be Wednesday this month. See you all then!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Glad to be back and Thank you @RavenStCloud for this thread. Great support here!
    Mary from Pennsylvania 65. 5'2" Heaviest weight 255 lbs twice. :-(

UGW-122 lbs. I was there in 2009/10 and kept it off for 5 years then got lazy.

My goal is to continue with what seems to work for me. 1000-1200 calories, low carb 15 Net +/- 3(My body seems to not do well with carbs. It doesn't know how to burn them and hangs onto them way too much!), minimum 70 + oz of water, 2 meals/day on my days off(3) and 3 meals on my work days(which are long), exercise on my 3 days off. My weigh in day is Sunday.

9/14/20 SW-255 lbs
    5/3/21-240.5 lbs Emergency Gallbladder surgery
    5/14/21-232.2 lbs started MFP and Low Carb/1000-1200 calorie while recovering
    6/1/21-228.8 lbs
    7/1/21-222.2 lbs
    8/1/21-212.0 lbs
    9/1/21-200.0 lbs
    10/1/21-191.4 lbs
    11/1/21-181.8 lbs
    12/1/21-176.2 lbs
    12/26/21-165.6 lbs
    1/1/22-168 lbs
    2/1/22-157.4 lbs
    3/1/22-155 lbs. Down 100.2 lbs so far!
    4/1/22-156.4 lbs
    5/1/22-158.8 lbs
    6/1/22-152.2 lbs
    7/1/22-157.4 lbs.
    8/1/22-167.2 lbs :-(

Been MIA from this thread most of July. Been struggling with my Carb intake higher than my normal and it shows. Still doing my Elliptical on my days off and have incorporated weight lifting with the equipment I have available in my basement. I mainly use the Leg press (also can be used as a shoulder squat machine but I haven't used it that way yet) and the double pulley cable system I have, along with dumbbells. My weekly weigh day for here is Sunday, as I weigh daily.

8/1/22-167.2 lbs
  • mmdeveau
    mmdeveau Posts: 107 Member
    “While learning can be rushed, changing can’t be…don’t forget why you’re here and what you’re chasing.” Not my words, it’s from the book “Chasing Cupcakes” by Elizabeth Benton.

Michelle
    48 years old
    Height: 5'6"
    Original SW May 2013: 301.2 lbs.
    SW (5/1/22): 205.4 lbs.
    August SW (8/1/22): 202.4 lbs.
    August GW: Under 200 lbs.
    GW: 150 lbs. (then reconsider)

My goals for August are:
    • To start back to regular workouts
    • To start some strength training, at home with body weight exercises.
    • Take better care of my skin in hopes it will start to regain its shape. If I don’t say it, I won’t do it..

I’ve been following along but not participating. I hate making excuses. But in the past two months all of the following things happened:
    • Busiest time of year at work. I am a trainer in a moderately large health system. In June/July, when our residents and fellows are on-boarding, we have vacation blackout because we are that busy.
    • In the beginning of June, I injured something in my left shoulder. As far as I can tell, I slept wrong. For four weeks, I was in excruciating pain, and I even had to end a day of work early because I was in tears. I also had paresthesia in my index and thumb. I had to spend my entire routine.
    • Then July came along. Happier times, sure. July 4th, and my birthday. I went to the shore twice to celebrate.
    • I decided when the pain subsided that I could start walking again. I accepted I was starting from square one. In pretty good shape, but not even thinking about resuming C25K Week 1, Day 1. (For those who don’t know, I ran a 10 mile race a year ago.) On my third outing, I had a blister on one of my toes. It looked pretty delicate, and I’d never let blisters stop me before. I put a bandaid over it, and at the end of that walk, the blister had “spread” and my toenail was floating on a puffy huge blister. It’s since popped, not entirely on its own but unintentional. The toe is still tender. I am going to try to resume walking in the mornings this week.
    • I got news about my car, a 2013 Nissan Altima. Do yourself a favor, don’t ever get a Nissan. At about 80,000 miles I need the transmission replaced, the car doesn’t shift out of second gear and only runs in limp mode. This is the second time the transmission needs to be replaced. The first time was in 2019 at 70,000 miles, but that was after driving it for six months while the first one was breaking apart on a daily basis over the course of 6K-8K miles of driving terror. I spent thousands in repairs because the computer didn’t indicate the transmission was the problem and had to have the car towed three times. I tried to get Nissan to replace the transmission. Long story short they B-S’d their way into telling me all the ways they’re not going to replace the transmission. Seriously don’t ever get a Nissan. The company is shady AF, and my story is the worst but nearly every other family member who drove a Nissan had to get rid of their car due to transmission issues. Now with the market being the way it is, I have no car and will not have one for a year or two at the least.
    So I did my best because in light of my circumstances. And I’m happy to report that I’ve just about maintained through all of whatever was going on. I say I’m happy because in the past, I’d have used food to solve all those problems, or to celebrate. I could have done better over the past two months, but it also wasn’t so long ago that I’d have gained 20 pounds or more in the same time frame.
    I’ve tried to keep up with the group, but, see above. I can’t tag because I don’t remember exactly who posted. Some thoughts:

For those who are discouraged and feeling like you want to give up after a mistake or two, reframe your mistakes as learning experiences. Really evaluate your behavior and think how you would handle the same or similar situation in the future. You won’t change overnight, but over time when you look back you will see how much you’ve grown. In this case, there’s an analogy I heard one time that I think about: If you’re out driving and you run one red light, are you going to say to yourself, “Well, shoot, I ran one red light, so I guess I’ll just keep running red lights for the rest of the day?” No, you’re going to correct your behavior. The same applies here, it’s the next decision and all the ones after it that matter.

Sorry to all of you suffering with COVID. I knew it was too early to drop the masks indoors. I’ve worn them indoors the whole time. I wish you a speedy recovery, and hope you are back at it soon.

Those looking for non-meat suggestions, I saw a vegan egg product at Trader Joe’s the other day. Also, a quick dish for dinner is to create a sauce with jarred tomato sauce and a package of silken tofu. Combine in a blender or food processor, stir in some parmesan cheese and peas, and serve over pasta. I mostly reduce animal protein by “cutting” it with beans: Italian tuna salad is a great example.

A few tags:
    @cupcakecrusoe: I say leave the Ninja creami on your list. There might be some discounts in the fall, or before the holidays. And speaking of holidays, what are you serving with dessert? Pie and some ice cream, yum. Even better if it’s cinnamon ice cream. Which is difficult to find in stores, it’s a good flavor to make. Also, I’ve been knitting quite a bit too. Keeps the hands off the food and your mind occupied!
    @KeriA: sorry about your mother-in-law. I know you and your family will miss her.