Intermittent Fasting + Low Carb (not keto)

Snails_Race
Snails_Race Posts: 6 Member
edited July 2022 in Success Stories
Hi! I would love to see/read success stories (pics) from anyone doing IF/low carb. I’m on my 16th day streak & down -12 lbs. ☺️

Replies

• NeqScott
    NeqScott Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I would love to see/read success stories (pics) from anyone doing IF/low carb. I’m on my 16th day streak & down -12 lbs. ☺️

What is your eating window? and how many calories do you eat daily? 12lb in 16 days is amazing. Great job
  • Julie31171
    Julie31171 Posts: 24 Member

Hope some folks weigh in with the pictures and stories you want, I wish you the best! I have lost around 95 pounds but it hasn't been through only low carb. While I dabble with low carb and intermittent fasting, most of the time I have had a portion controlled balanced diet where I prioritize protein and low calorie foods but don't cut out any food groups. That said, I enjoy going low carb sometimes.[/quote]

Thanks for your comment. I am really struggling with low carb/IF. I was doing great (Lost 50 pounds...the first 30 without much exercising, to be honest). I have tightened up my diet and started going to the gym and hiking every weekend .... and the weight loss has come to a screeching halt. While I have noticed that clothes fit looser (considerably), the scale won't budge.

Anyone have any advice on that?
  • Freakbunny
    Freakbunny Posts: 22 Member
    yes pictures/success stories, please! I just started yesterday, and would love to see some results, tips and tricks
  • farmspiders
    farmspiders Posts: 4 Member
    I'm thinking of starting the intermittent fasting LC/LF. I've been low carb for about 2 years, have lost 50 lbs and have been at a stand still since November last year. So, I'm ready to recommit and try something a little different to jumpstart the losing again. Do most of you restrict your intake to 12 hours? 10 hours? or maybe even 8 hours? I'm inspired by the success stories. Ya'll are rockin' this!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    I'm thinking of starting the intermittent fasting LC/LF. I've been low carb for about 2 years, have lost 50 lbs and have been at a stand still since November last year. So, I'm ready to recommit and try something a little different to jumpstart the losing again. Do most of you restrict your intake to 12 hours? 10 hours? or maybe even 8 hours? I'm inspired by the success stories. Ya'll are rockin' this!

I do anywhere from 1-6 hrs, usually between 2-4, but that was after several months.

I started with a 6-8hr window five days a week, with two "normal" eating days. I just listened to my body from there and ended up preferring something closer to OMAD.

I typically keep my window open longer when I'm having beverages in the evening, not to eat another meal. So even if my window is longer, I still generally only eat one big meal, but might have some fruit or cheese with my evening tea.

I don't do low carb though. I eat a fairly high carb, legume based vegetarian diet.
  • jcarmel3486
    jcarmel3486 Posts: 3 Member
    I’ve been doing low carb for 30 days. I’ve lost 23lbs! I get no more than 18 net grams of carbs, eat no prepackaged foods, stay around 1500 calories, and workout every other day. These pics are 35 days apart.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Xellercin wrote: »

I do anywhere from 1-6 hrs, usually between 2-4, but that was after several months.

I started with a 6-8hr window five days a week, with two "normal" eating days. I just listened to my body from there and ended up preferring something closer to OMAD.

I typically keep my window open longer when I'm having beverages in the evening, not to eat another meal. So even if my window is longer, I still generally only eat one big meal, but might have some fruit or cheese with my evening tea.

I don't do low carb though. I eat a fairly high carb, legume based vegetarian diet.

i dont understand IF....what books or ytube page can you recommend?
  • pkilpatrick1
    pkilpatrick1 Posts: 1 Member
    I recommend Fast, Feast, Repeat by Gin Stephens for IF. Lots of good information and insight. I do 18:6 fasting. Sometimes I will increase eating time to 17:7 to eat a later meal. I do not do Keto, but I would like to cut my carbs more.
  • PBAUSA17
    PBAUSA17 Posts: 19 Member
    Hello,

I don't have any photos to share on a public forum, but I can attest to the power of IF. I started back in 2019 and lost around 30 lbs. I went through very early menopause (late 30s) and nothing worked for me after that. What changed is when I read and listened to (Audible) Dr. Jason Fung's book called 'The Obesity Code'. There are also lots of presentations/interviews with him on YouTube. I have kept most of it off (gained 6 lbs. lately due to a few trips lately where I ate all hours and absolutely everything) since 2019. I generally do a 4-hour eating window from 10-2 or 8-12 and two meals. Sometimes if I am eating out, I will only have one meal at 12PM. I don't eat in the evenings and have a hard cut off of food by 2pm. As a result, I sleep amazingly well. I also rarely eat livestock meat (like once a year maybe) and fish on average twice a month. When I lost the majority of the weight, I ate one meal that was 1100-1200 calories and was usually a veggie burger (Don Lee Farms from Costco) on whole wheat bun, baked potato (sweet or regular), one/two servings of popped corn (popped myself with a weight of 36 grams pre-popped and about 15g of olive oil) and around 28g of nuts. If I did not have a veggie burger, I usually had fish instead. I've maintained with this regime for a few years but fear I have reached homeostasis (Fung discusses this in the book). To lose more, which I need to do, I will probably have to go longer stretches (i.e., 36 hours).

The key to remember with IF is to start low and then gradually build up to longer periods. If you try to do 24 hours right off the bat, it will be hard. I suggest starting with 12:12 - i.e., 7AM-7PM eating window and then subtract 1 or 2 hours on that eating window when you feel confident to do so (maybe each week) until you get to a 4-hour eating window and further if you would like.

All the best to you :)

• LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Look up “The Obesity Code” by Dr. Jason Fung. IF/low carb has helped me a lot.
  • mattbell007
    mattbell007 Posts: 45 Member
    I have to echo recommendations in previous posts about the work by Dr. Jason Fung. He's excellent.

I've been doing IF this week, but I have to say I really prefer extended fasting. Every time I eat, it seems to reset my body to expect food, and then I have to be hungry when I'm not eating. When I do extended fasting, after the initial hunger phase passes (a day or two), not eating becomes easy.

I'm doing IF this week because I have an eating "event" just about every day this week. Two picnics, a taste test, and an ice-cream social. I decided to only eat at those (all calorie bomb) events. I haven't lost any weight, but I've maintained, and a week like this would usually result in backsliding 5 lbs or more. So, I'm counting it as success.
  • Peeps911
    Peeps911 Posts: 2 Member
    I have a question. When you are stating you are doing low carb not keto, what is your carb limit? And are you still deducting fiber from that limit? TIA :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!