High Blood pressure

Yesterday I had a Dr tell me I had high blood pressure.
The day before it felt like my head was going to explode.
I've been full of stress and obviously it tipped me over the other day.
Has anyone on here had the same thing and found the best way to deal with everything.
It's been the usual combination of family problems,worrys over the kids health and work.
Zero time for myself other than sleep or having a shower.
No time to have nice walks along the coast where I live like I use to.
My hormones are all over the place too which just adds to the problems.
Obviously I need to make some changes to my diet, but it's definitely stress that is the massive offender.

Replies

• mpapa1856
    mpapa1856 Posts: 21 Member
    I had the same experience with giving blood and finding out I was too high to give. Then my doc put me on a calcium blocker that helped control it. I have since lost 25 lbs and am trying to loose another 15 lbs before going back to doc to see if my pressure might allow me to drop the pill in half or get off it altogether. I took prescription vitamin D because my levels were low and it really helped me feel better and seemed to reduce stress.
  • PizzaPowerlifter
    PizzaPowerlifter Posts: 7 Member
    I didn’t have the symptoms you did, but my anxiety and panic have been sky high for the last couple of years. In addition to the pandemic, we had a couple of deaths in the family, etc. I think it was feeding my anxiety and vice versa. I finally went on a low dose medication (I’m fortunate that’s all I needed) and it’s helped so much. I’m still on it almost a year later, and things are pretty manageable.

It’s really hard to just “find a way to reduce stress” when that’s not entirely possible. I’d say maybe see your doctor, take their advice on a medication if they offer one and then see if you can find ways to incorporate regular self-care into your life. Good luck ❤️
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    @ToadstoolBetty Sorry to hear you got bad news. Since you work in care you probably know what you need to do. Hopefully the BP meds help you feel better. There are a lot of pre-diabetes threads on here, just type it in the search bar. Take care!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I second reading the pre-diabetes threads.

I'm sorry to read you are also having hormone issues, these can cause/contribute to being prediabetic, having high blood pressure, stress too. Stress its such a broad term, it can really mess up hormones regardless of the cause of your stress. I hope your doctor is someone who is able to look at your personal health situation as a whole rather than this snippet or that. I'm thinking, being restricted to 1, being blood pressure, 2. being pre-diabetic, 3, considers things which can amplify stress, as being independent health problems which they are not, they are all integrated issues, poor sleep crosses the boundaries.

Please look into the Holistic view of health. Its time to make time to invest in yourself. Have that shower, you will feel better. Breathing deeply is beneficial, practice it, do it when you think of it. You will start to feel better promise. Even if you live in a highly prescriptive health system there is so much you can discover giving you the opportunity to take care of yourself beyond just taking this or that drug. Could be as simple as adding some different foods to your weekly total even cutting somethings out, it could necessitate taking good quality supplements. I'm sorry you have needed a wake up call but even without your doctors active help you can improve your future health dramatically. I for one have a better quality of life than I had in my mid to late 30's. I decided "life" had to be better and found ways, probably could be identified as building resilience, having identified possible root causes.

All the very best, take care of yourself, self is vital to your others, they are fortunate to have you. Looking after you is the way to ensure they have the support they need.
  • ALilCountryMouse
    ALilCountryMouse Posts: 4 Member
    I, too am on BP medication. It wouldn't hurt to have a second opinion with a Cardiologist. That's when I found out about my 2 mini-minute strokes I did not know I had. You really do need to take time out for yourself. Whether going for a walk or a soak in a tub when the kids are in bed. Those mini Mom stuff is taking care of you. You have a lot to be thankful for. What's inside your circle is what you can control. Changing your lifestyle is a commitment....do it slow and invite the family to take a walk on the beach with you. Make some sand castles.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,100 Member
    My had a high BP diagnosis over a year ago: not after a single reading at the doctor's office, but consistently high readings at home as well.
    He got a prescription for it, but decided he wanted to try a different strategy first (he's young, and has no specific risk factors, and his BP was only slightly high): he increased his exercise (mostly strength training).
    But at the next doctor's appointment, his readings were still high, so he started taking a small dose of BP medication. In the meantime, he has lost weight (he wasn't technically overweight, but had some excess fat) and increased his cardio. And due to anxiety issues, he is now also doing breathing exercises daily to manage his stress.

II'm curious to see what the results will be for him, but I think his strategy is a good one:
    - first check if the issue (high BP) is systematic, not just one or two high readings at the doctor's office -> it does seem to be the case for you
    - try to fix the issue by other strategies (weight loss, stress management techniques, exercise)
    - in case of high health risks, do this while taking BP medication; if if the risk isn't high, you could ask your doctor if you can hold off on the meds until you've tried the other strategies

I recommend looking into for stress management:
    - breathing exercises (my BF does this 5 minutes per day but it does help him
    - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: my BF got info on this through his kinesiologist/physio (but we are based in Belgium, different healthcare system), you can probably find some resources online or via a health professional you have access to
  • ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    *New update*

I was prescribed BP medication after phoning the doctor again.
    This was due to my limbs becoming numb on the right side and prickling sensation.
    The prickling spread to my face and one side of my head was in pain.
    I had tried to work but it was completely taking me over.
    Things calmed down once on BP meds but after a weeks leave and extreme reduction of hours I started working again and found every time I drove pain was running into my head.
    I was given to much work last Saturday and found the pain/headache would not go,it was constantly there.
    I declared myself on sick leave on Tuesday(23) and that day had a follow up with the Dr who originally saw me.
    He took me through all the stroke tests again and some extra ones.
    I explained how I couldn't eat sugar or drink caffeine as it caused pain, a mint tea caused an horrific headache for 8hours.
    He looked confused and was going to refer me to a neurologist and prescribe pain meds for my head.
    He phoned me later after talking to another Dr who was who diagnosed me with atypical migraine.
    I didn't believe home at first.
    They ruled out strokes of any type,brain tumor and said neurology wouldn't see me with on a months history and the waiting list was 1.5 years.
    After looking it up(as we all do), I found atypical Migraines are have the same symptoms as stroke and are mistaken for this.
    So I'm relieved it's not strokes I've been having.
    My BP is now under control and very good now and I start strong meds for my headaches once I get them.

I've realised a few things that had probably caused my prdiabetes too so even more changes from today.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I'm so very sorry you seem to have gone through the mill recently. Its so good to know you are feeling better. Its frightening to be told you do not have long enough experience of those symptoms.
    Take great care of yourself.
  • littlesnowyone
    littlesnowyone Posts: 19 Member
    I was consistently having stroke-level blood pressures (200-something over 120-something), so the doctor put me on two blood pressure medicines. It’s helping, but I know that losing weight would probably help.

A lot of it is also stress, but I’m unsure as to how to make my life less stressful.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Google mindfulness exercises and try some. If you find you need more help, consider counseling. Best wishes
  • ThankyouNo1
    ThankyouNo1 Posts: 1 Member
    I got the same diagnosis 4 years ago.

Why: Your arteries are less elastic than before. This may be due to all the factors you listed and more.

Meds: Get a wrist blood pressure monitor. Take your meds consistently at the same time each day. This is vital.

Stress: It sounds like you’re pouring yourself out constantly without taking time to recharge. You can’t pour from an empty cup, and you need to take care of your children’s mother. Think about it - you wouldn’t choose a tired, worn out babysitter over a fresh one to watch your kids so taking time for yourself is part of the process in taking care of them. Obviously, the solution is better nutrition and more exercise. Easier said than done I know.

Foods: You need antioxidants - red and green foods. You need potassium - spinach and bananas. You need nitrates - beets. Ginger also helps.

Sodium: Reduce sodium by reducing salt and carefully looking at sodium content before consuming sauces. Potassium offsets sodium.

Sugar: Obviously, sugar isn’t healthy for anybody. I didn’t change my sugar consumption but you might be better at this than I am. I did find that bitter melon supplements help.

Zinc: Many blood pressure meds deplete zinc so you may need to supplement it.

Supplements: Supplements like the high blood pressure formula sold at GNC work wonders but monitor your levels before trying to reduce meds.

Weight: I lost 35 pounds since my diagnosis, not because I was trying to lose weight but just because I was following more of the guidelines that support blood pressure control and swapped a few servings of meat with plant based meat each week. I like Impossible plant based sausage especially. It’s good in spaghetti, sausage gravy, dirty rice, tacos, etc. and my family can’t tell. The others they could tell, although Gardein items are still a hit. Yeah they cost a little more than meat but I think it’s worth it.

More help: If you’re serious about getting off the meds, the best source for additional help is probably a naturopath or acupuncturist. I haven’t seen one yet due to budget constraints.